• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2009 Milan SanRemo PREVIEW: Who will contend?

Who will win the 2009 Milan Sanremo?

• OTHER

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The Milan Sanremo is often a race between the "punchers" (a la Gilbert) and the sprinters. A glance back at past winners shows that its usually a bunch sprint at the end--not a huge bunch, but still a thicket of riders. I see the following riders as favorites: Boonen, Allan Davis, Pozzato, Petacchi, . Freire is injured, Ballan is too slow in a sprint. What about Matti Breschel? Can Cavendish hang in there for so long? I don't think so. Hushovd? DiLuca? Wegmann? Eisel? Curious if anyone has any thoughts/tips/insight into this great upcoming race.
File:Petacchi_MSR_2005.jpg

Thor...SMASH

Thor is looking good this early in the season and the Cervelo squadra has been doing a lot of things right in a very short time.

Lots of potential favorites are on the mend or not playing this year. Boonen's form looks impressive too...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Allan Davis for me, I think QS are going to be playing a couple of cards. Boonen has alot of races to look at this year plus possible green jersey come July, for Alby this is the race of the season, if his given a chance he will make the most of it.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I'd love to see Cav win M-SR, and I think he will one day, but not this year. Pettachi and McEwen are getting on in years, so I'm going to go with Boonen.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
What about GVA?

I am not going to make any predictions, but I am really quite surprised that Greg van Avermaet has not made it to the favourites' list. True, he hasn't shown up a lot so far this year, but can he be ruled out? Italian newspapers seem to have completely forgotten about him, too. Is there some piece of information I am missing?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Go Hushovd! I voted him, but I bet a guy that is better in the small hills wins. Like Pozzato or Ballan (don't know if he participate).

But I really hope Hushovd!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
That climb they added last year severely reduced the chances of a bunch sprint. Guys like Hushovd, Boonen, Pozzato and Bennati should be able to survive and fight it out but it could just as well be a last minute break-away like last year.

And beware of Rabobank. They've proved willing and able to blow up any race at anytime so far this season and without Freire they have nothing to lose.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I agree with ak-zaaf re: Rabo and can see JA Flecha making a late move.

If it finishes in a sprint, and Thor has a teammate or two going over the Cipressa with him, he'll be dangerous. Otherwise, Boonen. It seems like he's growing up and this one would be a real "statement" win for him.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
All the talk of Cavendish not making it over the climbs, he did much better than quite a few in the eroica-including pozzato, and while bennatti and pettachi and a couple of others made it over the final climb in tirreno today, quite a few didnt, and finished way down- hushovd and boonen up to 10 minutes back, cav only a minute and about 50 metres behind. With the weight he has lost and no thought of track has honed him into a climber who can now get over the hills, as seen in the tour of cali

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
RichardH said:
Allan Davis for me, I think QS are going to be playing a couple of cards. Boonen has alot of races to look at this year plus possible green jersey come July, for Alby this is the race of the season, if his given a chance he will make the most of it.

Spot on the money. Davis will go very very close. He started quite early and is bringing his early peak for this. Will need a degree of fortunate circumstance but who doesn't in this game.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
elumgurd said:
Spot on the money. Davis will go very very close. He started quite early and is bringing his early peak for this. Will need a degree of fortunate circumstance but who doesn't in this game.

For Davis to win, I think it needs to be quite a select group, without the top springters, but again with a late breakaway a la cancellara or gilbert, as i dont think he has the ability to outsprint the best. but, with booned could also be good to get him in a strong breakaway group, prob the best bet

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
If it's gonna be a sprint Benna will win this, Cavendish aint gonna survive the Poggio San Remo. If it won't be sprint my guess would be Pipo Pozzato.
About Davis: i honoustly don't think he is fast enough, and if he is still there with Boonen he will have to work for Boonen.

TRENDING THREADS