• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2009 Tour of Poland

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
berty, I was more refering to the fact that Adeialde itself has no real testing hills to test the major hill climbers even if the TDU was held in peak season. I understand that you never are going to get a major battle royale occuring in January, but it can't be a good adversitment for Australian cycling when it's biggest event is held over course which basically ensure sprint finishers and no real major attacks.

If however, the Hearld Sun Tour was held as the final race of the season in October, I would be almost certain you would get a more interesting race and attract more interest in road cycling - and also allow oppouinty for local audiences to experience some A-grade riders actually tackling bumps bigger than Wiliunga.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Team Columbia

That stage 4 sprint was something to watch. Team Columbia tried to establish control from waaay out, but the finale was a series of circuits around town with many slow, tight turns. Besides, LeakyGas, Lampre, and others had designs on the stage.
Following the action was a bit tough since the commentary was in Polish, but I kept recognizing Greipel, Greipel ! Raggedy or not, by the red kite, a Columbia boy was on the front, flogging away and beating that pony. With the confusion at the end, all I knew for sure was that the Columbia lead-out man had held the point and took the line: Very exciting!

Come to find out, Greipel supposedly grabbed Davis's jersey, and maybe he did, but what kind of grab could he have taken? Greipel finished second ny the width of a dime, millimeters between him and Boassen Hagen.

This race is on Justin.TV for free in Polish and I guess the riders are the "B" riders, but so what? These boys are top pros, some of them the stars of the future.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Hammerhed said:
That stage 4 sprint was something to watch. Team Columbia tried to establish control from waaay out, but the finale was a series of circuits around town with many slow, tight turns. Besides, LeakyGas, Lampre, and others had designs on the stage.
Following the action was a bit tough since the commentary was in Polish, but I kept recognizing Greipel, Greipel ! Raggedy or not, by the red kite, a Columbia boy was on the front, flogging away and beating that pony. With the confusion at the end, all I knew for sure was that the Columbia lead-out man had held the point and took the line: Very exciting!

Come to find out, Greipel supposedly grabbed Davis's jersey, and maybe he did, but what kind of grab could he have taken? Greipel finished second ny the width of a dime, millimeters between him and Boassen Hagen.

This race is on Justin.TV for free in Polish and I guess the riders are the "B" riders, but so what? These boys are top pros, some of them the stars of the future.

thanks for the update...sounds like a dandy!!

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Great ride by Lampre!
Bruseghin did great damage to the peloton on the last climb. The way he killed himself on the climb for Ballan was textbook teamwork.
Of course Ballan's attack and work in the break were awesome. There was no way anyone was gonna take it from him in the sprint.
With this win, I guess he'll have a lot less trouble getting a contract for next year.
Where will he end up? Sky?

Zoncolan said:
Great ride by Lampre!
Bruseghin did great damage to the peloton on the last climb. The way he killed himself on the climb for Ballan was textbook teamwork.
Of course Ballan's attack and work in the break were awesome. There was no way anyone was gonna take it from him in the sprint.
With this win, I guess he'll have a lot less trouble getting a contract for next year.
Where will he end up? Sky?

I'm glad he finally scored in rainbows, and I'm surprised Lampre's not offering him two years. Very strange. I think he all but guarantees a podium in Flanders or Roubaix (illness permiting).

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
I'm glad he finally scored in rainbows, and I'm surprised Lampre's not offering him two years. Very strange. I think he all but guarantees a podium in Flanders or Roubaix (illness permiting).

Ah, yes. The curse of the rainbow jersey.
I would also like to see him do well on the cobbles.
Look at the way his luck has turned since April.
Go back to Roubaix earlier this year and look at where Tomekke and Ballan were with their form. Look at them now.

Back to Poland. Will Liquigas have Szmyd work for Basso, or will he be allowed to go for glory in his home tour? He is sitting higher up on GC.
I understand he's down to start the Vuelta as a domestique for Basso.
I guess Basso could give him this in exchange for loyal service at the Vuelta.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I am itching for the Vuelta at the moment as the tour poland is so boring. I personally think that Deutschland Tour is a far better race than tour of poland. It has everything: Prologue, mountain climbs, sprints, longish tt. It is an exciting event with beautiful scenery around germany, especially in the Bavarian alps. They should really have the Deutschland Tour now instead of the tour of poland. DT would be a far better preparation for the Vuelta. A refelection on the tour of Poland is Alessandro Ballan winnig the main mountain stage. Alessandro is a great rider but c'mon that victory reflects what a koke tour of poland is.

Also on the tour down under topic if it doesn't provide a more interesting event next year i think htey should consider of striping it is protour liscence as it is a boring race. They need to put in an itt or a mountain top finish up wilunga Hill. Even so the wilunga hill stage has been won by sprinters for the past 3 years. The climb is not long enough and the pace is not hat high to really crack the sprinters.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:

Because Lampre's sponsorship ends next year? Mind you Ballan wouldn't have much problems of getting a ride anyway.

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I am itching for the Vuelta at the moment as the tour poland is so boring. I personally think that Deutschland Tour is a far better race than tour of poland. It has everything: Prologue, mountain climbs, sprints, longish tt. It is an exciting event with beautiful scenery around germany, especially in the Bavarian alps. They should really have the Deutschland Tour now instead of the tour of poland. DT would be a far better preparation for the Vuelta. A refelection on the tour of Poland is Alessandro Ballan winnig the main mountain stage. Alessandro is a great rider but c'mon that victory reflects what a koke tour of poland is.
Any particular reason why u keep writing Deutschland Tour starting with capital letters, but not TdP? I see u have a big problem with the race in Poland. Happily sponsors doesnt share ur humble opinion. Thats why theres TdP now instead of ToG. Im not saying that TdP is very flamboyant, it lacks TT this year, it might be boring for some, easy for others, but it doesnt mean u have to be disrespectful.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
MKirilenko said:
Any particular reason why u keep writing Deutschland Tour starting with capital letters, but not TdP? I see u have a big problem with the race in Poland. Happily sponsors doesnt share ur humble opinion. Thats why theres TdP now instead of ToG. Im not saying that TdP is very flamboyant, it lacks TT this year, it might be boring for some, easy for others, but it doesnt mean u have to be disrespectful.

+ 1

If you don't like the race, why post in here? Just silly and immature
The ToP isn't the greatest race ever, but it is still a decent race.

As for the DT, well the "doping image" that surrounds cycling killed that race.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
stefank said:
Too right. (but being half Australian/half Polish I have to sit on the fence)

Ok so can you tell me why in Poland they like to put everything other then Polish in French? I remember being at the post office once in Warsaw and trying to send stuff back and I either had to read Polish or French. I suppose I got a taste of my own medicine for being a stupid English-only speaker. Geniune question as well.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
MKirilenko said:

How is viewing an opnion being disrepectful. All i'm saying is Tour of Poland(in capitals:rolleyes:) is a boring race and Deutschland Tour is a more exciting race. I am allowed to post that i don't like the race as i can view my opinion if i want. I have never been to poland and i'm sure it's a great country but that doesn't iinfluence what i think about the race.

craig1985 said:
Ok so can you tell me why in Poland they like to put everything other then Polish in French? I remember being at the post office once in Warsaw and trying to send stuff back and I either had to read Polish or French. I suppose I got a taste of my own medicine for being a stupid English-only speaker. Geniune question as well.

I don't know the answer to that, and I must say that I didn't notice it when i was there, but i was being shepherded around by relatives. It could be that "offiicialy" French is still regarded as being the "international" language there, although practically that does not seem to be the case. My Polish cousins have varying degrees of fluency in English (from little to excellent) while regretably my French is better than my Polish - but I'm working on it.

auscyclefan94 said:
How is viewing an opnion being disrepectful. All i'm saying is Tour of Poland(in capitals:rolleyes:) is a boring race and Deutschland Tour is a more exciting race. I am allowed to post that i don't like the race as i can view my opinion if i want. I have never been to poland and i'm sure it's a great country but that doesn't iinfluence what i think about the race.

"viewing"?

Perhaps you mean "voicing"

If you must express an opinon, let it be an intelligent one.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:

Only a guess, but I think it has to do with the history of the country.
Polish royalty intermarried with the French, and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth even had a monarch come from France to rule over them. Can't remember the name, think it was late 16th or 17th century. Either way, the king brought with him his court (another guess), and they all spoke French, so it stuck and is still in use today.
Makes sense?

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Please tell me how Tour of Poland is better than Duetschland tour?

You're entitled to your opinion. The thing that ticked these guys off is that you kept coming back to the thread just to say how boring the race was.
I found yesterday's stage very interesting, and I guess today it may be even more interesting.

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Do any of the big riders even care about this race? I think not... If you think i'm wrong please say so...
(a little late to the party on this one but IMHO)
Well it's a UCI ProTour event, so yeah, they care. There's points up for grabs too.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
User1234 said:
(a little late to the party on this one but IMHO)
Well it's a UCI ProTour event, so yeah, they care. There's points up for grabs too.

None of the big sprinters are there and only basso out of all the gc guys are there. That's how much all the pros really care about tour of poland:rolleyes:.

TRENDING THREADS