2009 Tour of Poland

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 31, 2009
9
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
None of the big sprinters are there and only basso out of all the gc guys are there. That's how much all the pros really care about tour of poland:rolleyes:.
They also need to pick and choose races, this is a much better event then the TDU... :p
I'm just glad to see Ballan getting back on form. Lampre has had a terrible season.
 
Jun 11, 2009
131
0
0
craig1985 said:
Ok so can you tell me why in Poland they like to put everything other then Polish in French? I remember being at the post office once in Warsaw and trying to send stuff back and I either had to read Polish or French. I suppose I got a taste of my own medicine for being a stupid English-only speaker. Geniune question as well.
It was rather a coincidence than regularity. Nowadays, the most common translation are English and German, in that order. Yes, Poland had some historical connection with French, theres even Bonaparte's name in the national anthem, but I doubt it is the source for putting French translations in public places. Since joining UE, there are more and more English accents. And Tour de Pologne just sounds better that way ;)

As for the argument about TdP and DT, well... I doubt there would be more known names atm (except of the Germans), if it was DT. Anyway... The fact is that we're seeing TdP not DT, so theres a certain reason for that.
Im not saying TdP is better or more interesting than DT. But its not boring. The sprints were more interesting than those in TdF. More participants, not just Cav, Cav, Cav.... Thor.
 
Jul 22, 2009
2
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
None of the big sprinters are there and only basso out of all the gc guys are there. That's how much all the pros really care about tour of poland:rolleyes:.
Well, it's not really a race for the tradiotional GC-guys, due to the lack of hard mountain stages or TTs.
 
Aug 4, 2009
25
0
0
Ok so can you tell me why in Poland they like to put everything other then Polish in French? I remember being at the post office once in Warsaw and trying to send stuff back and I either had to read Polish or French. I suppose I got a taste of my own medicine for being a stupid English-only speaker. Geniune question as well
.


well.. i don't know where that post office was, but since almost 30 years I have never met a Pole in this country who speaks French fluent - especially at the post office :D. but before IIww French was almost second official language in Poland. Almost everyone exept peasants spoke french . Did you want a job ? only with french as the second language. Did you want to be a teacher.. french required etc. i don't know why ... maybe cause french and especially italian is for Poles much more easy to learn than english or german. by the way.. poland was a quite different country 70years ago, but this is no place to discuss historical issiues . Btw.. i suppose whole Europe spoke French instead English then
Someone who organized this race in 1928 called it officially Bieg dookoła Polski what means Run around Poland or Race around Poland.. something like this. later it was translated into french.
Back to today's race. Szmyd said a few minutes ago that he has good legs but there was no route for them. mountains were to short and tempo was to high to make some attacks. i can agree - TdP is a boring race and this is the race for classics riders - not for climbers. Poland has no mountains for some big race. There are some serious climbs (to Morskie Oko for example - very nice ascent with beatifull views) but almost whole Tatras on Polish side and Slovakian as well are closed for car traffic cause it is national park there. But I've heard that next year the route should include mountains in Slovakia but i don't know if it is true. there is an issue of poor roads in the mountains, issue of private property of some parts of the roads etc..
Today's stage was a joke - mountain stage and ballan almost wins it from bunch sprint. he is great rider but he is any serious climber. that was no mountain stage - that was stage simmilar to classic race. whole this race is for classics riders like ballan or old mr bettini not for basso or even contador (but contador won his first time trial in TdP if i'm correct).
Deutschland Tour is quite different race and there is no sense to compare these two races. but for me every race can be boring if someone compares it to the Giro or TDF. Riders make race interesting - not route alone and best riders prefers vuelta or tdf than TDP, TdU or DT
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
0
0
even though i do agree tdu is not a great event tour of poland isn't really much better than tour down under. I don't see LA there. Alberto Contador has raced in the tdu before. Jens Voigt came down and you also have quality sprinters who are racing the tour of poland such as Davis, Griepel and Brown. Also their are a lot of quality australian riders who make up the field. Trust me, Tdu is a better event than tour of poland(but by not far).
User1234 said:
They also need to pick and choose races, this is a much better event then the TDU... :p
I'm just glad to see Ballan getting back on form. Lampre has had a terrible season.
It's not really a sprinters race either. Only 3/7 sprint stages. Look at Deutschland Tour has everything and would give a far better preparation for guys looking to do the vuelta.
Ottobre said:
Well, it's not really a race for the tradiotional GC-guys, due to the lack of hard mountain stages or TTs.
MKirilenko said:
As for the argument about TdP and DT, well... I doubt there would be more known names atm (except of the Germans), if it was DT. Anyway... The fact is that we're seeing TdP not DT, so theres a certain reason for that.
Im not saying TdP is better or more interesting than DT. But its not boring. The sprints were more interesting than those in TdF. More participants, not just Cav, Cav, Cav.... Thor.
Even if only germans rode this race it would still have a far higher quallity race as the riders from germany are usually better and the race route is far superior to Tour of Poland as it has a bit of everything. I'll give you some names of people who rode Deutschland Tour last year:
-Linus Gerdemann
-Brett Lancaster (pursuit olympic meadalist)
-Gustav Larsson
-Gerald Ciolek
-Thomas Lovkist
-Janez Brajkovic
-David De La Fuente
-Robbie Mcewen
-Andre Griepel
-Stephane Auge
-Tony Martin
-Bert Grabsch
All very strong riders who made up that field. I couldn't find the full starters list but Deutschland Tour is definetly better than Tour of Poland due to the route and riders.
 
Jun 22, 2009
10,645
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
None of the big sprinters are there and only basso out of all the gc guys are there. That's how much all the pros really care about tour of poland:rolleyes:.
lol you are so ignorant. You not only disrespect a race, but disrespcect the entire starting field at ToP. There are definately some real great riders in poland (and trust me, TDU aint a better race, armstrong participation will never make that so... at lease poland has some interesting stages and alot more variation the the TDU) As for none of the big sprinters. I guess Greipels 15-20 victories this season didn't impress you a whole lot.

Zoncolan said:
and Bogen Haussen wins again. You gotta love Carlton Kirby.
Awesome sprint from EBH!
EBH is awesome, good win.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
0
0
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
lol you are so ignorant. You not only disrespect a race, but disrespcect the entire starting field at ToP. There are definately some real great riders in poland (and trust me, TDU aint a better race, armstrong participation will never make that so... at lease poland has some interesting stages and alot more variation the the TDU) As for none of the big sprinters. I guess Greipels 15-20 victories this season didn't impress you a whole lot
I'm the person who doesn't have there head up their ****. GET THIS THROUGH YOUR HEAD: I'm not criticising the riders in the field like Griepel but i am saying that Deutschland Tour's field is a lot stronger than the Tour of Poland's field. I acknowledge that their are a lot of good riders in poland e.g griepel and ballan but the field is not as strong as Deutschland Tour. I am not disrespecing the riders by saying that but you are too naive to see that. The route is also better in Deutschland Tour.
 
May 6, 2009
8,524
0
0
Zoncolan said:
Only a guess, but I think it has to do with the history of the country.
Polish royalty intermarried with the French, and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth even had a monarch come from France to rule over them. Can't remember the name, think it was late 16th or 17th century. Either way, the king brought with him his court (another guess), and they all spoke French, so it stuck and is still in use today.
Makes sense?
Good enough for me :D

Any reason why Grivko got DSQ'd?
 
Jun 11, 2009
131
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
I'm the person who doesn't have there head up their ****. GET THIS THROUGH YOUR HEAD: I'm not criticising the riders in the field like Griepel but i am saying that Deutschland Tour's field is a lot stronger than the Tour of Poland's field. I acknowledge that their are a lot of good riders in poland e.g griepel and ballan but the field is not as strong as Deutschland Tour. I am not disrespecing the riders by saying that but you are too naive to see that. The route is also better in Deutschland Tour.
so again: when and where is ur DT this year?
I really dont know why this thread became "DT is better than TdP \\ no its not!"

Greipel finally got his stage 2day. TdP lacked TT this year, and probably one more "proper mountains" stage. And too much circuits in the finish cities.
 
Mar 14, 2009
31
0
0
Daniel Martin and Christian Meier = DNS last stage?

Anybody know why these two did not start the final stage. Both had been riding strong and Daniel M. was in the top 15 or so. I believe Steven Cozza did not start. Food poisoning or flu maybe? Hope to see these guys at the Vuelta this year.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
0
0
MKirilenko said:
so again: when and where is ur DT this year?
I really dont know why this thread became "DT is better than TdP \\ no its not!"

Greipel finally got his stage 2day. TdP lacked TT this year, and probably one more "proper mountains" stage. And too much circuits in the finish cities.
If their was 1 real mountain stage in the tour of poland i gurantee ballan wouldn't of won. I brought up the DT race because it use be at a similar time and is a far better race than ToP. DT should be brought back instead of ToP as it accomadates for all different types of riders.
 
Jun 22, 2009
10,645
0
0
DT started at the same time as the vuelta last year, and the DT might have been better (of course it helps when you have more talented riders from that nation who wanna compete) but why is it even a factor. the race is dead. It is totally irrelevant to this topic.
 
Jun 11, 2009
131
0
0
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
DT started at the same time as the vuelta last year, and the DT might have been better (of course it helps when you have more talented riders from that nation who wanna compete) but why is it even a factor. the race is dead. It is totally irrelevant to this topic.
thats what ive been trying to say... :)

@bikenrunnwt according to twitter all 3 of them had food poisoning. Unlucky, eh :(
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
0
0
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
DT started at the same time as the vuelta last year, and the DT might have been better (of course it helps when you have more talented riders from that nation who wanna compete) but why is it even a factor. the race is dead. It is totally irrelevant to this topic.
Yes DT is dead but i am saying that tour of poland is a worse event. I am making a comparison. It's a shame DT is gone. Good race.
 
Jun 11, 2009
131
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
Yes DT is dead but i am saying that tour of poland is a worse event. I am making a comparison. It's a shame DT is gone. Good race.
I actually counted and this is 8th time u say DT is better than TdP. U can stop now really. TdP its over already. I say u should come to poland next year to confront your phobia.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
0
0
MKirilenko said:
I actually counted and this is 8th time u say DT is better than TdP. U can stop now really. TdP its over already. I say u should come to poland next year to confront your phobia.
Yay. It's over. now some exciting, proper races. I kept on saying DT is better than Tour of Poland because you guys kept on arguing.
 
Mar 14, 2009
330
0
0
bikenrunnwt said:
Anybody know why these two did not start the final stage. Both had been riding strong and Daniel M. was in the top 15 or so. I believe Steven Cozza did not start. Food poisoning or flu maybe? Hope to see these guys at the Vuelta this year.
Daniel is building up for the Vuelta, and completed the climbing stages fairly well up so most likely did not want to take any risks on a flat final stage. As for Steven Cozza, Your guess would be as good as mine.
 
Jun 11, 2009
131
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
Yay. It's over. now some exciting, proper races. I kept on saying DT is better than Tour of Poland because you guys kept on arguing.
9th time. I blame ur age. The fact u say that so many times wont change the fact u still can be wrong. Especially because, as u mentioned, many kept arguing and didnt share ur opinion with you, including the sponsors. No, but wait. Ur the guru here, u must be right. Uve got some issues mate, face them.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
0
0
MKirilenko said:
9th time. I blame ur age. The fact u say that so many times wont change the fact u still can be wrong. Especially because, as u mentioned, many kept arguing and didnt share ur opinion with you, including the sponsors. No, but wait. Ur the guru here, u must be right. Uve got some issues mate, face them.
I say it over and over again because you won't get it throough your stupid head. uve got issues mate. i have a right t an opinion and you do not have the right to shoot me down for having an opinion against yours.:mad:
 
Jun 11, 2009
131
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
I say it over and over again because you won't get it throough your stupid head. uve got issues mate. i have a right t an opinion and you do not have the right to shoot me down for having an opinion against yours.:mad:
:D OK. Whatever. Dont start crying plz :D Evry1 has 'stupid head' except of you. U must be lonely. Grow up and as I said be4 dont be disrespectful.
Over from me. Hit me on PM if u want to insult me more. No more trash here.
 
Jun 22, 2009
10,645
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
Yes DT is dead but i am saying that tour of poland is a worse event. I am making a comparison. It's a shame DT is gone. Good race.
but the comparison is unecesarry as the events have always been at least a few weeks apart ;) thus i don't understand the constant comparison in a ToP thread...

i.e like OMG did you know the tour de france is better then the jayco herald sun tour? (debatable actually :p) relevance to topic: 0%

MKirilenko said:
:D OK. Whatever. Dont start crying plz :D Evry1 has 'stupid head' except of you. U must be lonely. Grow up and as I said be4 dont be disrespectful.
I agree, I don't liek to get involved in silly arguments overt the net, but his posts have been so irrelvant, negative and unecessary that I couldn't help myself... you don't like the race, get over it. It is a much better race then the TDU but I wont be psoting how much i hate the TDU come janurary. immature mate.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS