• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2010 Bayern-Rundfahrt

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Come on Team NetApp! I like them. A German team that has started up this year and actively seeks to expand and move up levels? That's a rare commodity these days, and so they should be encouraged. Hopefully Milram won't go under, but if they do, hopefully NetApp can pick up several of those riders that aren't sought after elsewhere (which I would expect of Gerdemann, Wegmann, Terpstra, Ciolek, Kluge and a couple of others) and build back up the same way as Bessons Chaussures-Sojasun (now Saur-Sojasun) was able to build itself up using Crédit Agricole's resources.

Colour me fairly happy with the parcours too. I know that the Bayernrundfahrt has traditionally been a sprinters' race, and that's kind of disappointing since they have some lovely climbs in the area, especially in the south. They've made it more challenging, which is nice.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't know what kind of form Eddy Boss is in, if he wasn't on his way back from time off the bike I would say this parcours suits him right down to the ground. He's still in with a shot, though.

I'm not sure who else will challenge for the overall, glancing over the start list. Could be anyone.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
How do the climbs in Bayern compare to the rest of Germany? For example, the climbs/mountains used in the Deutschland Tour?

There is a German women in one the bunches I ride in and she said there is some lovely riding in that part of Germany (she is from just outside Frankfurt).

Pretty challenging course looks like. From the start list only Igor Anton jumps out. Columbia looks to have a pretty good line-up too, with Monfort and Peter Velits both capable of winning. Milram have Knees and Terpstra who might be able to do this, but they're both long-shots.

craig1985 said:
How do the climbs in Bayern compare to the rest of Germany? For example, the climbs/mountains used in the Deutschland Tour?

There is a German women in one the bunches I ride in and she said there is some lovely riding in that part of Germany (she is from just outside Frankfurt).

The southern Bavarian climbs are the lower slopes of the Alps. Some of them are especially difficult. However, for real HC type mountain stages the DeutschlandTour used to run into Austria to use the Rettenbachferner.

I used to live in Frankfurt and I can tell you from experience that she's right - just to the north of Frankfurt you have the Taunus mountain range, with some beautiful wooded countryside and picturesque towns and villages. That's the territory used in the Frankfurt May Day Race, and the now defunct Hessenrundfahrt. The Feldberg is the main climb around there, reaches 900m or so, but the climb that makes the selection is usually the Mammolshain, a short but incredibly steep (up to 23%) climb further south. The Taunus mountain range is basically one side of the Rhine with the Eifels the other side; these then blend into the Vosges to the south and the Ardennes to the west. They're a similar kind of range - lots of short, sharp climbs, but no real multiple-kilometre killers, but many of them are also not so well known so they can be good to ride. I particularly like that the Limes (the old Roman fortifications to keep the Germans out) run around the area so you can follow most of the route on your bike.

Bavaria has some hilly territory along its eastern coast (mostly bordering the Sudeten), but many of these climbs are fairly short. There are some very extreme climbs in the northern Alps, but many of these are too remote for them to use logistically in a race like the Bayern-Rundfahrt unless they hop over the border as the DeutschlandTour did.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Tony Martin riding? I haven't found a start list. He won the TT last year and of course just last week in ToC. I'd think he had a chance at the over all.

Jamsque said:
I don't know what kind of form Eddy Boss is in, if he wasn't on his way back from time off the bike I would say this parcours suits him right down to the ground. He's still in with a shot, though.

I'm not sure who else will challenge for the overall, glancing over the start list. Could be anyone.
He hasn't trained hard for 3 months. In some periods he hasn't even been able to use a bike for several weeks, so his form is really bad. There's no way he will win overall.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Ashtabula said:
Tony Martin riding? I haven't found a start list. He won the TT last year and of course just last week in ToC. I'd think he had a chance at the over all.

Guess not, according to the link in the first post of this thread. A lot of riders not on the same schedule this year as last, e.g. Boom not riding "The Tour" this year.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Ashtabula said:

There is a provisional start list in the OP.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
The southern Bavarian climbs are the lower slopes of the Alps. Some of them are especially difficult. However, for real HC type mountain stages the DeutschlandTour used to run into Austria to use the Rettenbachferner.

I used to live in Frankfurt and I can tell you from experience that she's right - just to the north of Frankfurt you have the Taunus mountain range, with some beautiful wooded countryside and picturesque towns and villages. That's the territory used in the Frankfurt May Day Race, and the now defunct Hessenrundfahrt. The Feldberg is the main climb around there, reaches 900m or so, but the climb that makes the selection is usually the Mammolshain, a short but incredibly steep (up to 23%) climb further south. The Taunus mountain range is basically one side of the Rhine with the Eifels the other side; these then blend into the Vosges to the south and the Ardennes to the west. They're a similar kind of range - lots of short, sharp climbs, but no real multiple-kilometre killers, but many of them are also not so well known so they can be good to ride. I particularly like that the Limes (the old Roman fortifications to keep the Germans out) run around the area so you can follow most of the route on your bike.

Bavaria has some hilly territory along its eastern coast (mostly bordering the Sudeten), but many of these climbs are fairly short. There are some very extreme climbs in the northern Alps, but many of these are too remote for them to use logistically in a race like the Bayern-Rundfahrt unless they hop over the border as the DeutschlandTour did.

IMO you are the forums encyclopedia :eek:

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Garmin look strong imo, well I recognise more names. :D Velits is my pick for overall and I hope the Aussie Road jersey gets some exposure.

Any decent riders in the smaller teams that could upset a sprint/mountain/gc?

Feb 12, 2010
Visit site
No live feed I gather but there are highlights on German TV. Expect Team Sky fans to have them on the website later today/tomorrow.

Just over the top of the climb. The breakaway has split but the leaders have a 2 minute gap from the peloton. Looks like it might come together on the final loops. No idead who made it over the climb in the peloton so not sure who'll be favourite to win.

TRENDING THREADS