• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games - Road racing

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
despite being distanced, Cav HAS to be given massive props for pretty much having to ride by himself from lap 6, chasing down all the breaks. The Aussies had it a bit easier, just because their team was about 10 times stronger in depth, meaning unti about 1 lap to go, neither sutton or Davies had to do as much as cav, having a little more left in the tank.

Definitely bodes well for the future and select groups for Cav though - with a stronger team, could have neen rigbht up there.

Millar for me also was sterong as an ox, chased down everything, AND has the TT in 2 days to worry about! Best TT rider after Cancellara for this tgype of effort?

May 25, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:
And Cav was MIA.
Not really. Just when the pack disappated and he was left alone, he showed he can't keep up with the constant attacks. Must be a long time since he's been in a breakaway style ride.

May 22, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:
And Cav was MIA.

I actually thought Cav rode 1 hell of a race. He pretty much had to counter every move, and rode himself back into the race after he looked dead on a couple of occasions. Not sure the 41 degree celcius (106 farenheit :eek:) helped the Manxman either.

Gained some respect from me, thats for sure.

But also great race by Davis, and thanks to the Kiwis to breaking the race apart. Also, McCann, what a battler. A lot more interesting race than I expected.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I was cynical but until the chase group formed and the peloton gave up, I thought Cav's weekend warriors did a good job. They were always at the front when I was watching it.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Tuarts said:
I was cynical but until the chase group formed and the peloton gave up, I thought Cav's weekend warriors did a good job. They were akways at the front when I was watching it.

I thought they did well too, but were somewhat out of their league and so couldn't last the distance.

41 deg and slightly suffocating is not everyone's cup of tea.

Pity Ch 10 ditched so much of the latter part of the race in favour of the diving.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Australia brought far and away the strongest squad of any nation so I'm not surprised they pulled out the win, especially with the form Alan Davis has at the moment. Great ride by Millar to get bronze (I'd be amazed if he doesn't win the ITT) and a gutsy solo performance by Cav to try and stay in contention.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Fair play to Davis, He had to bridge the gap and tried to jump away on his own but he was never going lose the 4 man sprint.

Millar v Dowsett in the ITT will be good.

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
RedZone said:
I actually thought Cav rode 1 hell of a race. He pretty much had to counter every move, and rode himself back into the race after he looked dead on a couple of occasions. Not sure the 41 degree celcius (106 farenheit :eek:) helped the Manxman either.

Gained some respect from me, thats for sure.

But also great race by Davis, and thanks to the Kiwis to breaking the race apart. Also, McCann, what a battler. A lot more interesting race than I expected.

Was going to write excatly the same thing; hell of a ride by both Cav. Hats of to Millar as well, wasn't expecting him to be in contention.

Kudos to Davis though did well to bridge the gap, just a bit gutted that the Aussies did such a good job of wearing Cav out.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
To be fair, due to the practice of letting British regions play at being countries once every 4 years, he was riding solo once the race started in earnest, and ended up flogging himself to singlehanded pull his half of the break back to the front at least 3 times.

Dear oh dear. No need to be bitter just because the region team from England didn't turn up. Rule Britannia and all that eh:rolleyes:

craig1985 said:
And Cav was MIA.

Cav did ok. He did have to do some work himself which is pretty unusual.

I have to say though - Millar had to do a lot more work, was also isolated with no help from a team whatsoever .... but he at least still did his turns at the front (unlike Cav), and still managed to sprint it out. Glad he got silver.

Cav is good over 250m .... but give him some actual work to do and he drops his head and wants to go home.

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
AussieGoddess said:
Cav did ok. He did have to do some work himself which is pretty unusual.

I have to say though - Millar had to do a lot more work, was also isolated with no help from a team whatsoever .... but he at least still did his turns at the front (unlike Cav), and still managed to sprint it out. Glad he got silver.

Cav is good over 250m .... but give him some actual work to do and he drops his head and wants to go home.

Ahhemmm did we see the same race; Cav actually brought back the third chase group himself, spending most of the time at the front of that group, then continued to bridge gaps himself, at which point riders would attack again.

Yes normally Cav does very little work, up till the final 250m but that is what his team requires; yesterday he worked right up till the end-ish

Out of interest is David Millar eligable to ride the Olympics or is he automatically banned?

May 22, 2010
Visit site
AussieGoddess said:

Well, he got bronze, and probably only did so because Sutton sat up. Either way, Millar is known to have a bigger engine than Cav, so him being able to cover the moves better isnt really that surprising.

i just wonder if he still left something in the tank for the TT tmw.