• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2010 Delhi Commonwealth Games - Road racing

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
If you attack and completely stuff up (like I thought NZ did) then that does not deserve massive props. Their attacks early were idiotic and they would of been better just having 1 guy in the break and then have their strong guys (who they had a few of) for later in the race to attack repeatedly and then the aussies would of been in trouble. Just because someone attacks a lot does not make them a good rider. It can make them a stupid rider or team for a matter of fact.

btw,

Millar
Durbridge
Bauer

Reality check...the Kiwi's had no sprinter, the Aussies did and they knew that they could sit on all day and sprint the finish, which they did. The NZ riders attacking early as a team put pressure on the bunch to work to hold the gap to a reasonable margin with the intended effect of tiring the sprinters a bit. Didn't work at the end of the day but Roulston got second which was a good result considering. If Henderson had of raced the result could have been different but thats racing.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
If you attack and completely stuff up (like I thought NZ did) then that does not deserve massive props. Their attacks early were idiotic and they would of been better just having 1 guy in the break and then have their strong guys (who they had a few of) for later in the race to attack repeatedly and then the aussies would of been in trouble. Just because someone attacks a lot does not make them a good rider. It can make them a stupid rider or team for a matter of fact.

You have no idea. If you have no sprinter on a flat course you have to try something different. They tried and came away with silver, not that bad a result.

If Henderson was there maybe he would have had a chance against Davis, maybe not. What was clear is Bauer, Roulston and McCauley aren't sprinters and had no chance in a sprint against two sprinters.

auscyclefan94 said:
What you have to remember is that men's racing is typically harder than women's racing. Being a girl, and from your comments obviously someone who doesn't cycle, it is unlikely that you would understand how difficult it would be to drop sprinters on what was effectively a long crit course. The race was approx. 160k's compared to 250 odd for worlds. NZ had no sprinter and two trackies in their team who obviously wouldn't last the distance. So you are suggesting they should have sat in and contested the sprint? Australia rode well, chased the break down and dropped Cavendish and Davis who on TV looked in tremendous shape compared to TDU at the start of year. Davis took a great win and top marks to CJ Sutton who sacrificed his chances.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Millar blew them away on the run home into the wind, as expected.

Fantastic rides by Dowsett and Durbdrige who are only 22 and 19, to only lose a minute to Millar over 40km.
Durbridge is more impressive imo. He only got beaten by a guy by 1 min who just came 2nd in the world tt champs. Durbridge is only 19, phenomonal performance.
timmers said:
What you have to remember is that men's racing is typically harder than women's racing. Being a girl, and from your comments obviously someone who doesn't cycle, it is unlikely that you would understand how difficult it would be to drop sprinters on what was effectively a long crit course. The race was approx. 160k's compared to 250 odd for worlds. NZ had no sprinter and two trackies in their team who obviously wouldn't last the distance. So you are suggesting they should have sat in and contested the sprint? Australia rode well, chased the break down and dropped Cavendish and Davis who on TV looked in tremendous shape compared to TDU at the start of year. Davis took a great win and top marks to CJ Sutton who sacrificed his chances.

How do you know I don't race? Don't assume as it makes an **** out of you and me. I never said sit in and wait for a sprint. Read my post.

M Sport said:
You have no idea. If you have no sprinter on a flat course you have to try something different. They tried and came away with silver, not that bad a result.

If Henderson was there maybe he would have had a chance against Davis, maybe not. What was clear is Bauer, Roulston and McCauley aren't sprinters and had no chance in a sprint against two sprinters.

You can still attack lots but be smart about it and not go from the gun. That was always going to be suicidal so why have 3 guys up there. Kiwis should of just sat back and once the break was coming back in send riders off the front one after the other and cooperate with the Canadians with their attacks.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Well that was.... *yawn*

Well done to Millar though, he was impressive. Turbo Durbo sure is a big lad. He'll be a decent TT'er in a few years time. Give Dowsett some duals (and that yank guy...).

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Millar blew them away on the run home into the wind, as expected.

Fantastic rides by Dowsett and Durbdrige who are only 22 and 19, to only lose a minute to Millar over 40km.

Durbridge is going to be something special.

He doesn't have the road smarts yet and needs another year on the road before he's snapped up by a feeder team or a proteam. But when he develops, he'll be exceptional.

Rank Number Name CGA Code Split 1 Final Time Time Behind Avg Speed
1 57 MILLAR David SCO 20:59.59 (1) 47:18.66 (1) 50.728
2 18 DOWSETT Alex ENG 21:02.73 (2) 48:13.48 (2) +54.82 49.767
3 7 DURBRIDGE Luke AUS 21:09.55 (3) 48:19.22 (3) +1:00.56 49.668
4 46 HUTCHINSON Michael NIR 21:31.65 (5) 49:32.90 (4) +2:14.24 48.437
5 19 FROOME Christopher ENG 21:45.18 (7) 49:38.83 (5) +2:20.17 48.341
6 8 DENNIS Rohan AUS 21:30.57 (4) 50:21.56 (6) +3:02.90 47.657
7 15 BELL Zachary CAN 22:03.52 (9) 50:35.42 (7) +3:16.76 47.439
8 49 BAUER Jack NZL 22:19.41 (14) 50:48.51 (8) +3:29.85 47.236
9 51 SERGENT Jesse NZL 21:41.34 (6) 51:34.01 (9) +4:15.35 46.541
10 16 ROTH Ryan CAN 22:18.10 (13) 52:09.53 (10) +4:50.87 46.013

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I picked the top 2 at any rate ;) But yes I totaly forgot about Froome, and his Brit National performance showed he was likely to go top 5. Hutchinson was always going to ride a fast time.

Nah, Durbridge will get silver. Millar will catch him in the first 15km, then Durbridge will just ride around behind him, which should be enough to get him the silver.
I must admit i didnt realise it was 1 minute intervals, yes your rider rode well and will be a dangerous rider in the future. But I thought Kiwi rider Sergent would finish further up.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Byron Pope - Belize - Top Caribbean rider in the time trial. Gregory Lovell - Belize - Top Caribbean rider in the road race.

For those who don't know, that is what the Commonwealth Games is really about.