• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2010 Race Picks

Why not speculate a bit? The season proper is still far off, and I'm sick of all the threads being centered on two guys, so let's make some embarrassing guesses!

San Remo: Petacchi
Flanders: Cancellara
Paris-Roubaix: Boonen
Fleche: EBH
Liege: Valverde
Giro: Tommy D. (Just kidding: Pellizotti)
Tour: Contador
Vuelta: Contador
Lombardia: Evans or Cunego
Worlds: Ricco (Wouldn't it be great?)

mr. tibbs said:
Why not speculate a bit? The season proper is still far off, and I'm sick of all the threads being centered on two guys, so let's make some embarrassing guesses!

San Remo: Petacchi
Fleche: EBH
Liege: Valverde
Giro: Tommy D. (Just kidding: Pellizotti)
Lombardia: Evans or Cunego
Worlds: Ricco (Wouldn't it be great?)

Not bad at all, I will go with you on the GTs, classics, geez I need to have a good think about this, want to go for different guys. I cannot see Boonen doing a 3 in a row at P-R but can see him winning Flanders. Some of these are a bit out there but what the hell, I will go with

Milan-San Remo: Hushovd
Tour of Flanders: Boonen
Paris-Roubaix: Ballan
Fleche: Rodriguez
L-B-L: Cunego
Amstel: Kirchen
Worlds: Haussler
Lombardy: Roche

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
What the hell:

Paris Nice: Valverde
Tirreno-Adriatico: Evans
M-SR: Gilbert
Fleche: J Rodriguez
L-B-L: A Schleck
Amstel: A Schleck
Giro: Pellizotti
TdS: T Martin
Dauphine: Kreuziger
Worlds: EBH
Lombardy: Cunego

But I have no idea of the riders' actual programmes - so this is just a shot in the dark.

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
San Remo: Alejandro Valverde

Flanders: Lance Armstrong

Paris-Roubaix: Alberto Contador

Fleche: Bert Grabsch

Liege: Mark Cavendish

Giro: Alejandro Valverde

Tour: Fabian Cancellara

Vuelta: Kenny van Hummel

Lombardia: Inigo Cuesta

Worlds: Arthur Vichot

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
Inner Peace said:
San Remo: Alejandro Valverde

Flanders: Lance Armstrong

Paris-Roubaix: Alberto Contador

Fleche: Bert Grabsch

Liege: Mark Cavendish

Giro: Alejandro Valverde

Tour: Fabian Cancellara

Vuelta: Kenny van Hummel

Lombardia: Inigo Cuesta

Worlds: Arthur Vichot

If all of these predictions come true, I will give you all of my earthly belongings :D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
WIthout having checked riders schedules...

San Remo: Phillippe Gilbert
Flanders: Tom Boonen
Paris-Roubaix: The Mighty Thor
Fleche: Cunego
L-B-L: Kim Kirchen
San Sebastian: Nicolas Roche
Lombardia: Kolobnev, on the basis that he really out to win one of these some time.
Paris Tours Lite: Mark Cavendish
Worlds: Matti Breschel

Paris-Nice: Sylvain Chavanel
Volta a Catalunya Sanchez - Luis Leon if he does it, Samuel if he doesn't
Dauphine Libére: Romain Kreutziger
ATOC (the 4th GT?:eek:): Probably Levi

Giro: Cuddles
Vuelta: Frank Schleck!

Tour of Polond and Benelux are too competitive and make any kind of predicting redundant...

Buffalo Soldier said:

In my defense, the last post in that thread is dated over a month ago. Still, pardon the clutter :eek: (and make some guesses!).

Also, go jonjungel. If that's the way the calendar plays out, it will be the best year in cycling history.

EDIT: Bluebeard's picks are great, too. Breschel for the Worlds would be amazing. And Chavanel, Kreutziger, and F Schleck--who could cheer against those guys?

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Paris-Nice: Contador
Tireno-Adriatico- Basso
San Remo: Gilbert
Flanders: Pozzato
Fleche: Valverde
L-B-L: A Schleck
Amstel: J Rodriguez
Giro: Basso or Pellizotti
TdS: Cancellara
Dauphine: Valverde( if he's not suspended)

Let's see

Milan-San Remo- Petacchi
TOur of Flanders- Hoste (You can't finish 2nd 3 times by accident, so he is due)
Paris-Roubaix- Cancellera
Amstel Gold- Vinokourov
L-B-L- A. Shleck
Fleche Wallone-Kirchen
Giro- Pellizotti
Tour-Rasmussen
Vuelta- Sam. Sanchez

Worlds-I haven't seen the course , but if its flatish, ill say Hushovd

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
San Remo: EBH
Flanders: Gilbert
Paris-Roubaix: Ballan
Amstel: Cunego
Fleche: Evans
Liege: Kirchen
Giro: Sastre
Lombardia: Cunego
Worlds: Gilbert

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
a shot in the dark but here goes...

Paris-Nice: S Sanchez
tirreno-Adriatico - Cunego
Milan San Remo: Cavendish
Tour of Flanders: Boasson Hagen
Paris-Roubaix: Cancellara
Fleche: M Goss
L-B-L: Gilbert
Amstel Gold: Gilbert
Giro: Cunego
TDF A Schlek
Vuelta - S Sanchez

Worlds - Farrar.

sublimit said:
a shot in the dark but here goes...

Paris-Nice: S Sanchez
tirreno-Adriatico - Cunego
Milan San Remo: Cavendish
Tour of Flanders: Boasson Hagen
Fleche: M Goss
L-B-L: Gilbert
Amstel Gold: Gilbert
Giro: Cunego
TDF A Schlek
Vuelta - S Sanchez

Worlds - Farrar.

Goss for Fleche Wallone:eek: Really, am I missing something, I thought Columbia signed him up to be part of Cavs leadout train. Didnt realise he was an explosive climber with credentials for the Mur du Huy.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Flanders: Flecha
Fleche: Kirchen
Liege: F. Schleck
AGR: A. Schleck
Giro: Evans
Paris-Tours: Cavendish
Lombardia: S. Sanchez
Worlds: Cavendish (I live in hope that GB, Germany and USA will work together and that Cav will beat Greipel by half a wheel with Farrar not far behind...)

The two threads probably should be merged BTW...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
Goss for Fleche Wallone:eek: Really, am I missing something, I thought Columbia signed him up to be part of Cavs leadout train. Didnt realise he was an explosive climber with credentials for the Mur du Huy.

Gossy is a sprinter

Flanders: ballan
Paris Roubaix: Cancellara
Fleche: Evans
Amstel: Schleck
L-B-L: Valverde
Tour: Contador ( I'm predicting a snooze fest like last year) hoping for giro/tour double!
Vuelta: Nibali
Paris Tours: boonen
lombardia: kolobnev
worlds: gilbert

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Maybe Fleche is the wrong race for him, but Goss is solid and if he continues to improve can do well. so many of these races come down to a sprint so if he gets to the end he can win a spring classic.

i reckon he will do something this year, he had a reasonable ride in the Paris Roubaix couple of years back. but to be fair its a long shot but i didnt want to put a predictabe winner in every race!

the only nailed on winner for me is Cancellara at Paris - Roubaix, and a 3 way shootout at Milan San Remo between Cavendish, Farrar, Pettachi, with Cav getting that one.
Gilbert will get a couple of wins and Hausller will be up there also. but we will see.

sublimit said:
Maybe Fleche is the wrong race for him, but Goss is solid and if he continues to improve can do well. so many of these races come down to a sprint so if he gets to the end he can win a spring classic.

i reckon he will do something this year, he had a reasonable ride in the Paris Roubaix couple of years back. but to be fair its a long shot but i didnt want to put a predictabe winner in every race!

the only nailed on winner for me is Cancellara at Paris - Roubaix, and a 3 way shootout at Milan San Remo between Cavendish, Farrar, Pettachi, with Cav getting that one.
Gilbert will get a couple of wins and Hausller will be up there also. but we will see.

No offence mate but I think you are confusing Ghent-Wevelgem with Fleche Wallone. G-W regularly finishes in a sprint whilst Fleche finishes up a 2km climb, the Mur (Wall) de Huy with an average gradient of close to close to 15%. Its a sprint but a slow motion grinding sprint and is never ever won by a sprinter. Goss for G-W sure, if he wins Fleche I will give you everything I own.

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Paris-Nice: Contador
Tireno-Adriatico: Cancellara
San Remo: Haussler
Flanders: Ballan
L-B-L: Valverde
Amstel: Cunego
Giro: Cadel Evans
TdS: Roman Kreuziger
Dauphine: Valverde

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Kingsley A said:
Flanders: Flecha
Liege: F. Schleck
AGR: A. Schleck
Paris-Tours: Cavendish
Lombardia: S. Sanchez
Worlds: Cavendish (I live in hope that GB, Germany and USA will work together and that Cav will beat Greipel by half a wheel with Farrar not far behind...)

The two threads probably should be merged BTW...

Damn it. Going through page one on this thread before I posted my own predictions, I thought this would be my trump :D

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
sublimit said:

Hmn, can't see either of those being nailed on - Contador for P-N for me, and Ferrar and Petacchi won't be competing for the MSR, it will be Thor vs Barbie vs Cav for me

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
^^ I backed Cancellara as nailed on for Paris - Roubaix not Paris Nice.

QUOTE=pmcg76;143899]No offence mate but I think you are confusing Ghent-Wevelgem with Fleche Wallone. G-W regularly finishes in a sprint whilst Fleche finishes up a 2km climb, the Mur (Wall) de Huy with an average gradient of close to close to 15%. Its a sprint but a slow motion grinding sprint and is never ever won by a sprinter. Goss for G-W sure, if he wins Fleche I will give you everything I own.[/QUOTE]

yes i'd forgotten about that.. cheers for that. perhaps Schlek for that one.

TRENDING THREADS