• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

2010 Vuelta a España wildcards

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I know the organizers have to pop in a few spanish teams, but you would think the other wild cards would go to teams with an eye towards the GC instead of teams that are content with stage wins. A lanceless Shack would make a serious run at the thing.

Leavinng BMC out is a mistake too. The vuelta is a consolation race for failed Tour hopefuls so you know Evans was going to arrive hungry for the GC.
 
Libertine Seguros said:
Yes, because the Giro really sucked.

Having weaker teams present so the race is not as easily controlled makes for an exciting race, but in the long run it is not the way to elevate the race status. Having the best teams and best riders at the vuelta is the best way to make it a better, more desirable and a more prestigious race. I don't understand why people seem to think having lesser talent at the vuelta is something to celebrate.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Libertine Seguros said:
Yes, because the Giro really sucked.

Yea...just awful...:D

One thing I especially missed is prima donna's refusing to ride stages because it was wet...or crossed some train tracks. The Vuelta is sure to be a better race with this decision.

Plus, knowing that JB is all self righteously angry tonight makes me all warm inside. I love the stomping of feet and gnashing of teeth he is displaying. This is really funny, REALLY FUNNY!
 
The Hog's thoughts on the Giro that Radioshack couldn't be bothered entering:- The Hog wants the GT organisers to act professional. Who's he kidding?

"Honestly, I hardly know what the 2010 course looks like. Compared to last year and year's past, there doesn't seem to be as many big names participating. No Lance Armstrong from 2009, no Alberto Contador from 2008. We even miss the complete podium of last year!! Denis Menchov focuses entirely on the Tour, while Danilo DiLuca and Franco Pellizotti are out because of doping-related cases. "
 
All that talk about being more professional and F1 this and tennis that sounds remarkably like what people like Manolo Saiz were saying when they forced the ProTour down everybody's throats. Empty drivel.

That said, some people here hate all things pertaining to Armstrong and Bruyneel way more than is healthy. Just because they're liars and cheats that doesn't mean that everything they say is automatically bull**** and, more importantly, that everything that goes against their wishes is automatically right.
 
Aug 25, 2009
397
0
0
Visit site
hrotha said:
That said, some people here hate all things pertaining to Armstrong and Bruyneel way more than is healthy. Just because they're liars and cheats that doesn't mean that everything they say is automatically bull**** and, more importantly, that everything that goes against their wishes is automatically right.

Absolutely
 
Potomac said:
A lanceless Shack would make a serious run at the thing.

Says who? According to Armstrong-Bruyneel, it is impossible to peak for two GTs in the same season. All of Retirement Shack's big riders are peaking for the Tour.

Why should the Vuelta be satisfied with hand me downs? It is time for the Vuelta and Giro to assert themselves. Teams unwilling to have riders peak for the races should be replaced by teams are willing.

The big joke here is that RS was given a Pro Tour license. The team never intended to race a full program. The team should have hired eleven or twelve riders with the goal of racing TdF, ToC, Gila, and not much else.
 
hrotha said:
That said, some people here hate all things pertaining to Armstrong and Bruyneel way more than is healthy. Just because they're liars and cheats that doesn't mean that everything they say is automatically bull****

It certainly increases the probability and should make everyone take anything they say with a very healthy amount of skepticism.
 
Apr 11, 2009
2,250
0
0
Visit site
Is it possible they think RS is a one-season pony team, with Lance this year and will fold the next? I can't see it continuing for long.

Maybe RS will go with J. Brak. as the next GT hope (if he's made a full commitment to their full "program") but surely a lot of the vets will leave as soon as Lance goes, prob. this year (esp. with potential litigation in the works).
 
BroDeal said:
Says who? According to Armstrong-Bruyneel, it is impossible to peak for two GTs in the same season. All of Retirement Shack's big riders are peaking for the Tour.

Why should the Vuelta be satisfied with hand me downs? It is time for the Vuelta and Giro to assert themselves. Teams unwilling to have riders peak for the races should be replaced by teams are willing.

The big joke here is that RS was given a Pro Tour license. The team never intended to race a full program. The team should have hired eleven or twelve riders with the goal of racing TdF, ToC, Gila, and not much else.

Your bias has taken you beyond sense, you sound like troll. Even if Radioshack brings almost no riders participating in the TdF you could still have a team that looks like this:

Zubeldia
Brajkovic
Rubiera
Machado
Muravyev
Paulinho
Vaitkus
Hermans
Lequatre

But you have to assume kloden, ll or horner will also make the squad.

I would say this would definitely be a top 10 team at the vuelta maybe even top 5. Most of the other big name riders are just there to win a stage and are going to be tired from a long racing season that already included at least one grand tour. Radioshack could bring a true GC team with depth.

But go ahead and tell us of the 22 teams attending the vuelta who is going to bring a better squad? How many?
 

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
4,153
0
0
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Says who? According to Armstrong-Bruyneel, it is impossible to peak for two GTs in the same season. All of Retirement Shack's big riders are peaking for the Tour.

Why should the Vuelta be satisfied with hand me downs? It is time for the Vuelta and Giro to assert themselves. Teams unwilling to have riders peak for the races should be replaced by teams are willing.

The big joke here is that RS was given a Pro Tour license. The team never intended to race a full program. The team should have hired eleven or twelve riders with the goal of racing TdF, ToC, Gila, and not much else.

I think the shack has the depth to campaign a quality team for the Giro. Zubeldia, Machado Leipheimer, Horner Rubiera,would be hot for some Vuelta action. It is unfair to presume Johann would not field a competetive team.
 
flicker said:
I think the shack has the depth to campaign a quality team for the Giro. Zubeldia, Machado Leipheimer, Horner Rubiera,would be hot for some Vuelta action. It is unfair to presume Johann would not field a competetive team.

Based on what? All season they've barely been competitive let alone look like being one of the best teams. You guys keep saying how strong they would be but I've not seen any evidence this year of Radiosack being a strong team. Even at the Dauphine Astana had 5 riders riding for most of a stage and Jani had 3 at the most. I just don’t understand what you’re basing this “strong team” form on?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
sounds to me like bruyneel was making his opening statement for an election for a new head of the UCI
 
Mar 14, 2009
8
0
0
Visit site
Not Good Enough?

“The organisers said we didn’t have a strong team on a sporting level, that other teams are better."

This is the kind of thing that gets posted on the bulletin board in the locker room.
 

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
4,153
0
0
Visit site
thehog said:
Based on what? All season they've barely been competitive let alone look like being one of the best teams. You guys keep saying how strong they would be but I've not seen any evidence this year of Radiosack being a strong team. Even at the Dauphine Astana had 5 riders riding for most of a stage and Jani had 3 at the most. I just don’t understand what you’re basing this “strong team” form on?

History, future and present. I would have liked to see weenie heimer go for it in the Vuelta. I think he had a good chance of victory. As much as Bruyneel and Lance are hated here, those guys do not make to many mistakes. Awesome team the shack. Same with Astana, I just think Vino is a gangster. Exactly what the haters refer to Lance as.
 
Mar 20, 2009
406
0
0
Visit site
whether you love Team Radioshack or hate them, they are clearly are are a better team than a dozen other teams invited. for the organizers to state they arent good enough just shows/proves they have an personal agenda against them.
 
thehog said:
Based on what? All season they've barely been competitive let alone look like being one of the best teams. You guys keep saying how strong they would be but I've not seen any evidence this year of Radiosack being a strong team. Even at the Dauphine Astana had 5 riders riding for most of a stage and Jani had 3 at the most. I just don’t understand what you’re basing this “strong team” form on?

It's based on hope and moonbeams. Leipheimer or Kloden have barely even raced in Europe this year yet some would have us believe they could challenge for a Vuelta or Giro win.

It is hilarious to see Bruyneel ranting about F1. That sport requires participation in all races. Teams cannot race Monte Carlo, send whatever equipment is left over along with a backup driver to Montreal, and then call it season.

The best part is hearing the fanboys moan and make pathetic excuses for this joke of team.
 

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
4,153
0
0
Visit site
BroDeal said:
A gangster with a huge win this season, which is more than can be said for Prance Oldstrong. :p

Vino-4-Ever!!!!!!!

Yeah, I was for Ulrich and Kloeden and they never cheated either. yeah. Watch out for farmstrong though. age and treachery.
 
flicker said:
History, future and present. I would have liked to see weenie heimer go for it in the Vuelta. I think he had a good chance of victory. As much as Bruyneel and Lance are hated here, those guys do not make to many mistakes. Awesome team the shack.

History? The team has only been in operation 6 months and those 6 months have been diabolical. The can barely string together enough UCI points to pay their membership fee. But hey there’s 2 years on a 3 year ProTour license up for grabs next year. Let’s give it to one of wildcard Vuelta wildcard teams who put on a decent showing and makes the race exciting.