• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2010 Vuelta al Pais Vasco

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm not 100% sure, and I would welcome anybody to correct me, but I think this is the profile for the climb into the finish at Eibar.

Santuario_de_Arrate_Eibar_profile.jpg

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
expected startlist: http://www.cyclingfever.com/editie.html?detp=view&_ap=startlijst&editie_idd=MTk2NDM=

on a rabo note, nice to see gesink, mollema and LTD all racing - imo our best 3 climbers.

I saw some of the profiles, and meh nothing too testing. Stage 6 itt will probably be what decides this race.
Nothing too testing? Stage 5 includes the Alto de Aia, albeit 15 km from the finish, and the finish of stage 4 is the same as this one. The TT also includes part of the Alto de Aia, and is the same as the one from 2008, which had the following results:

1 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Astana 29.10.00 (41.143 km/h)
2 Cadel Evans (Aus) Silence - Lotto 0.22
3 Thomas Dekker (Ned) Rabobank 0.27
4 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre 0.49
5 Robert Gesink (Ned) Rabobank 1.16

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Nah, don't you see it, is Valverde's twin is the one that is suspended. Either that, or Piti has been under a rock on Mars for the last week and nobody told him.

Based on recent form (and Contador's abscence) Rodriguez probably should be the fave, even if his TTing skills leave something to be desired.

Would love to see Samuel Sanchez pull out the victory for the Basques though (or Robert Gesink for the Dutch, but that ain't happening).

I don't know, he didn't do any intense stuff for Meditterraneen and Tirreno Adriatico and yet did very well.
In previous years when he didn't do anything intense yet he had much more trouble finishing that high (5th Tirreno for example).

There's a good chance he might actually win something this time

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I don't know, he didn't do any intense stuff for Meditterraneen and Tirreno Adriatico and yet did very well.
In previous years when he didn't do anything intense yet he had much more trouble finishing that high (5th Tirreno for example).

There's a good chance he might actually win something this time

I'll believe it when I see it.

Which is why I think Gesink will win, 2 years ago he was much worse at timetrialling and finished 5th to everyone's suprise. This year, same time trial as in 2008, so good chance he'll stay close in the GC and take the jersey

But Rodriguez has done very good TT's this year compared to last year, he wanted to focus on being a better stage racer.

So Rodriguez, Sam. Sanchez and Gesink are my favorites. And, if he participates, also Valverde

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
Eurosports brings it life I thought but their commentators are horrible. On wielerflits.nl they bring links where you can watch good live streams from the race.

Gesink is my main favourite with Rodriguez, he is really maturing as a rider right now, and he hasn't trained intensively yet till last two weeks, but still his results were good. On rabosport.nl there was a interview with him yesterday and he said he is feeling much stronger than in the tirreno and will ride for the win

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Mick Rogers twitter:

Stage 1 of the Tour of Basque Country today. Sun is out!! Nice day for racing.

Must be very seldom that the sun is out and not puring down with rain.