• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 63. Internationale Österreich Rundfahrt (2.HC) 3rd - 10th July

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Libertine Seguros said:
Not before time to be perfectly honest. He's lost his (pathetically ridiculous) climbing legs, and after pure charity was the only reason he got a stage of the Volta last year, and having not really done anything of any note whatsoever this year, it's probably about time.

well only reason why i am sad about him retiring is that he did it before a younger guy(machado or rui costa mostly) could become the new face of portuguese cycling. barbosa was prolly the only portuguese rider that the average portuguese person knew and now i doubt those people know any1.

hopefully a good volta by cardoso, or a stage win by rui costa on the second week of the tour or a nice performance by machado in the vuelta can fix that.

A

Anonymous

Parulo, whats wrong with machado? totally out of form or some injury?

zamasailo said:
Parulo, whats wrong with machado? totally out of form or some injury?

not a single race day since the giro and has mostly been doing either easy or medium training sections. seems like a proper recovery from the giro build up towards the vuelta schedule imo by getting some k's in austria and then racing poland.

hopefully he will be a bit luckier at the vuelta. in the giro on the strade bianche stage along he fell once and had 2 flat tires he then got sick and bruynnel wanted him to retreat from the race but he refused.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Fair old stage
stage_4_profile_600.jpg

On the way East from here they could easily have stuck a stage over the climb to the Schizentrum Weinebene (18,4km @ 6,3%):

Weinebene_Sankt_Gertraud_profile.jpg

Certainly enough room at the top to host the race too:

weinebene.jpg

Deutschlandsberg is at the bottom of the descent from this one. They visited Deutschlandsberg as a stage finish last year, but used the easier Hebalm as the final climb, which also means much more flat before the finish, not descending right in to the stage town.

images

So yea - if they're not going to use the Glockner as a finish or at least close enough to it to be potentially race-decisive, then this is my suggestion.

A

Anonymous

TourOfSardinia said:
Thanks - this gives the flavor of the event even if it is skimpy on the coverage
I have no clue as to what was being said on the video but since its a bike race, i really don't mind. Lol