• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 a review of the year and crystal ball discussion 2012

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
luckyboy said:
Stage racer of the year.
Alberto Contador

One day rider of the year.
Philippe Gilbert

Rider of the year.
Philippe Gilbert

Individual stage of a stage race of the year.
Giro Stage 15 - Conegliano to Gardeccia/Val di Fassa

Rider who improved the most.
Chris Froome

Rider whose form reversal was the most surprising.
Chris Froome

Which rider you think will show the greatest improvement next year.
Devolder hopefully, and also Boonen.

Team of the year.
Omega Pharma-Lotto

Who career should end now but will race 2012.
Andy Schleck, Levi Leipheimer

Which team do you look to the improve the most in 2012.
Quick-Step

What are you looking for the most in 2012.
Chavanel in pink to complete his collection. Moncoutie equalling Laguia’s 5 mountain jerseys in the Vuelta. It'd be nice for Vanmarcke to win one of the smaller classics and/or top 10 Roubaix. Txurruka's first pro win. Boonen & Devolder doing well hopefully.

Most important moment season 2011.
Wouter Weylandt's death

YES! :D:D I<3 You

Edit: No offense, I just don't like him.

Stage racer of the year. Alberto Contador

One day rider of the year. Philippe Gilbert

Rider of the year. Philippe Gilbert

Individual stage of a stage race of the year. Gardecchia stage, Giro d'Italia

Rider who improved the most. Chris Froome

Rider who's form reversal was the most surprising. Juanjo Cobo

Which rider you think will show the greatest improvement next year. Guillaume Van Keirsbulck

Team of the year. Team Sky

Who career should end now but will race 2012. Stijn Devolder

Which team do you look to the improve the most in 2012. BMC Racing Team

What are you looking for the most in 2012. More excitement in races... 2011 was rather bland, in terms of race dynamic

Most important moment season 2011. Philippe Gilbert wins Liege-Bastogne-Liege

LaFlorecita said:
Because of that as well...But mostly because you say his carreer should end and that's not nice and I hate you for that. :mad:

Also, how can anyone not like Alberto??:eek:

Contador himself said something like: "If I will get a ban, I'll end my career." That's all. I was only kidding, anyway. ;)

And how I could like Alberto, when I like Frändy.. :cool:

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Moondance said:
As you acknowledge, he is objectively the winner. So I don't see why that is at issue.

I know you're semi-joking, but I was never his biggest detractor and have always explained my Evans hate as such: He had ability, but never seemed to properly use it, and his conservative style of riding (in the 2005-2009 period) was excruciating to watch. Guys who attack in the mountains have always been my favorites, as opposed to TTers with climbing chops. When he started to attack, and climb, as opposed sit and wait, my dislike of him faded. I'm a reasonable and rational person in that respect. I'd hardly call myself a fanboy though, and I will continue to make snide comments about him to poke the ACF crowd, which is always great fun.

My sentiments exactly although I'm going to try to tone down my snide comments to avoid getting warnings and bans since they all seem to coincide for some reason. Must be some kind of protection order out for ACF.:D

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Stage racer of the year.

Alberto Contador

Phillipe Gilbert

Rider of the year.

Mark Cavendish

Stage 18 of the Tour

Thomas Voeckler

Rider who's form reversal was the most surprising.

Igor Anton

Pierre Rolland

Team of the year.

HTC-Highroad

Whose career should end now but will race 2012.

Alessandro Petacchi

Europcar

A Tour which has a decent amount of Time Trialing.

Giro Stage 3

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Stage racer of the year: Contador (Evans barely missed out)

One day rider of the year: Gilbert

Rider of the year: Gilbert

Individual stage of a stage race of the year: Nieve Giro queenstage win

Rider who improved the most: Froome-to go from riding for someone in a grand tour and having no major results beforehand to finishing a close 2nd at the Vuelta is amazing

Rider who's form reversal was the most surprising: Andy Schleck-from getting dropped in California and Switzerland to his Galibier theatrics.....but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.:rolleyes:

Which rider you think will show the greatest improvement next year: Thibault Pinot and hopefully Romain Sicard

Team of the year: Philippe Gilbert-his haul of important wins puts most team's records to shame, add to that Venendert's (sp) Tour stage win and Omega-Pharma has had a pretty successful season

Who career should end now but will race 2012: Leiphiemer-please take us out of our misery or at least focus on the domestique scene. Congrats on your Tour de Swiss win by the way zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Which team do you look to the improve the most in 2012: Team Sky and Movistar (Valverde)

What are you looking for the most in 2012: The return of Valverde, Contador's return to his rightful spot on the top step of the Tour podium, the epic fail of the Bruyneel/Schleck joint venture and the influx of Colombian talent into the European peloton

Most important moment season 2011: Soler's continued successful recovery

Stage racer of the year.

Alberto Contador Velasco

Phillipe Gilbert

Rider of the year.

Gilbert

Giro 15

Froome, or Rujano

Rider who's form reversal was the most surprising.

Igor Anton

Betancourt.

Team of the year.

HTC Highroad or Sky, I dont know.

No ones career should end. I like them all.

Sky Pro Cycling

The start- Paris Nice. Valverdes comeback. LBL. Giro 20. Contador at Tour. Olympic Road race. Amstel Gold world champs.

Other than the tragic deaths and falls, the Mont Allesouts screwjob.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Andy Schleck, Levi Leipheimer.

LOL!! Due to his whining and complaining I revel in Andy's continued missteps followed by his excuses. Just gives me more ammo.;) Levi is just a scab on my tv that won't fall off. He's painful to watch.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Zaschrona said:
Contador himself said something like: "If I will get a ban, I'll end my career." That's all. I was only kidding, anyway. ;)

And how I could like Alberto, when I like Frändy.. :cool:

Well they supposedly like each other and thus....:D

Stage racer of the year. Like others, I'm holding Evans and Contador pretty high. I'm going to lean to Evans, because he got the big one.

Gilbert

Rider of the year. Gilbert

Individual stage of a stage race of the year. Stage 17 of the Vuelta was thrilling. Stage 15 of the Giro (and others) was epic in its scale. But I'm going to say Galibrier because of the few simultaneous story lines: Andy's demonstrative win, Evans tenacity, setting the stage for Contador's attack for the next day. Couldn't have been scripted better

Rider who improved the most. There were a lot of good rides by unknowns, but I don't know if that points to improvement. I don't know, I just understand the question as what growth will be continued in 2012. Wiggans matured a lot since last year. Gilbert earned a dominance that will last. Tony Martin's TT can be up there, too

Rider who's form reversal was the most surprising. Cobo. I want to mention Voeckler somewhere, so I'll do it here, even if it wasn't a reversal, per say.

Which rider you think will show the greatest improvement next year. Sagan.

Team of the year. Sky earned it with the Vuelta and a varirety of performers; HTC would have taken it with some more GC representation

Who career should end now but will race 2012. McQuaid for sure.

Menchov: I don't want to see him fade hard in the way of Sastre. He's not there yet, but still over the hill.

Which team do you look to the improve the most in 2012. BMC, but they may suffer from high expectations.

What are you looking for the most in 2012. Valverde. I look forward to change of le Tour's equation, also.

Most important moment season 2011. Collapse of HTC and the whole transfer game changing the scene for 2012. Another important moment will be for Contador in November.

And anything re 2011 and 2012. It will be something different for sure, between the team changes, aging of the top dogs and maturity of the upstarts, changes to the calendar and routes. It will mostly be refreshing, though.

Contador for stage racer of the year. Such a dominant Giro (Etna especially was amazing) and then as someone said, would have been 3rd at the Tour if you take away the lost time on crash and TTT. But Evans still also had a great season.

Perhaps highlighted by his show of grit on Galibier on stage 18. This had to be the stage of the season. How exciting was it when Andy made his move sooo far out, built his lead, and even more so when he and Monfort (who was a bull that day) were actually gaining time on the flat?

I am not a big enough fan of the overall cycling scene to make to accurate a judgement on rider of the year, and respect the obviously great season that Gilbert had. But in all seriousness, has Tony Martin been dominant enough in TT's to warrant consideration?

Plus he won Paris-Nice, though I know not too many rated that race!