• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Astana Leader???

Astana GC Leader 2011

• Someone else

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Menchov's probably going to Katusha, Schleck bros. separate team, Kashechkin probably to Lampre, Ricco probably to Quickstep, Kreuziger's not worthy of being a #1 leader on a team with a budget as big as Astana, and Vino only has one year left. If Euskaltel gets dropped to continental, maybe Sammy Sanchez? I honestly have no idea.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Where is the Contador option? Since I still think he might stay. He is still considering all offers after all. To me it sounds like typical media pressure to get your team to meet your demands.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I think that since they're saving so much money, they should go for two guys who can be strong in one week races that have potential in grand tours, and get another leader for classics. They were invisible at Pais Vasco and Tour de Suisse, and I'm not expecting much from the Vuelta. Will Pereiro be the leader?

If they're losing the group of Spanish riders, plus I think Scott Davis was a one year sign, and they want to keep thirteen Kazakhs, they have a chance to reinvent themselves a bit. Instead of a team giving everything for the overall at TdF, they could have a leader shooting for top ten, and free up other guys to get into breaks and try for stage wins, going for more TV time.

I imagine they're shuffling right now about the way they were late last October. That late in the game, they were able to assemble a team that topped the UCI rankings even before the Tour. I have no doubt of their recruiting ability, especially with the money concerns behind them and their pro tour status safe. I just don't know who's still available - a lot of good riders have already extended with their current teams.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Ohh, Mama. I hope it is Ricco. We need him for excitement. Vino and Ricco on the same team would be something to watch.

I hope ricco does not get a contract. I have a serious hate for that guy and I am not a big fan of vino either. Kreuziger probably will go to astana as basso and nibali are ahead of him in favouritism as they are italian and Kreuziger would be the leader there.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
ericthesportsman6 said:
Menchov's probably going to Katusha, Schleck bros. separate team, Kashechkin probably to Lampre, Ricco probably to Quickstep, Kreuziger's not worthy of being a #1 leader on a team with a budget as big as Astana, and Vino only has one year left. If Euskaltel gets dropped to continental, maybe Sammy Sanchez? I honestly have no idea.

I doubt that. Just because he is Russian, it does not mean he will end up at katusha. I'd say astana is the most likely destination for menchov -- as there have apparently been negotiations... unlike Katusha.

Kashechkin isn't leader worthy either... he's been out for 3 years and is off the dope.

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
he will be the team leader of "weight watchers", not astana.

haha he looks like that, but his weight is only listed as 75 odd :rolleyes:.....
will be good to see him go at sprints in top form in spain next month :D then keep rideing to the closes maccas

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Davis was angry at the team for not bringing radios to the event because he couldn't put in his order for a quarter pounder at maccas to be put in his mussete.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I doubt that. Just because he is Russian, it does not mean he will end up at katusha. I'd say astana is the most likely destination for menchov -- as there have apparently been negotiations... unlike Katusha.

Agree with Timmy, read somewhere that the Katusha bosses haven't even been talking to Menchov. I think he'd be a good fit at Astana and I'd like to see him there.

KazakhNeRider said:
I like an idea to get Michele Scarponi for next Giro and other Italian races. I like him since Liberty time :)

Is Scarponi definitely leaving Androni? Last I heard they were very keen to keep him. Would be great to see him at more races though.

KazakhNeRider said:
I like an idea to get Michele Scarponi for next Giro and other Italian races. I like him since Liberty time :)

Scarponi is a great choice. Pound for pound (money wise) he is one of the best buys you can get

He was the 2nd best at the giro, and was very unlucky to finish 4th - 2 minutes lost to nibali in the ttt and the 12 minutes he lost to arroyo in the laquilla break. People said cuddles suffered from a bad team, but scarponi beat cuddles, despite having an even worse team.

In fact the only time he was dropped in the mountains was the zoncolan, and there he gained back a lot of the time lost in the last km.

he won tirreno last year and lost it on a technicality this year ( he had same time as garzeli, but lost on placings - he also lost time by celebrating instead of pushing it on the stage he won), and to his credit, appeared very gracious in defeat - smiling and calling garzeli a great.

He has a doping past, but, what italian doesnt ??? ;):p
Give this guy a decent team and he will get you results. Dont know how he would do in the vuelta, but scarponi should cost about as much as a domestique and he should take it since it will get him results he wont get with, i forget is it aqua sapone?

With the money they save they can get another team leader guy for the vuelta/ tour or classics, and mix them around. - kreuziger/ j rodriguez/ some colombian, already have vino

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Lyds97 said:
Is Scarponi definitely leaving Androni? Last I heard they were very keen to keep him. Would be great to see him at more races though.
There were some rumours about Martinelli specifically targeting to hire Scarponi a few weeks past.

Of course it could all change due to recent news, but Scarponi is definitely a very good choice.

And while we're on former Liberty Seguros riders re-uniting under Astana -- how's Luis Leon Sanchez doing? Has he found a contract yet?

And Barredo, while we're at it.
________
LUC DONCKERWOLKE

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
rxgqgxnyfz said:
There were some rumours about Martinelli specifically targeting to hire Scarponi a few weeks past.

Of course it could all change due to recent news, but Scarponi is definitely a very good choice.

And while we're on former Liberty Seguros riders re-uniting under Astana -- how's Luis Leon Sanchez doing? Has he found a contract yet?

And Barredo, while we're at it.

ll sanchez is trying to stay with unzue

TRENDING THREADS