• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Tour de France Stage 1: Passage du Gois - Mont des Alouettes 191.5 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Ferminal said:
There will be time gaps heading into the TTT, but they will be small, maybe 5-10s here and there, between groups.

The top teams in the TTT should all have someone only a few seconds down on Gilbert, so that they can still take yellow the next day.

HTC: Velits
Leopard: Schleck(s)
Sky: EBH
Garmin: Hushovd maybe or one of those three American GC fellows.
Radioshack: Horner

EBH not going to happen - the boys body is still getting over the shingles

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone here think Contador might give it a crack a few 100 metres from the end to check his legs, like he did on the run to Tropea (I think stage 9) in this year's Giro after there were doubts over his form losing out on the previous stage to Scarponi.

It was supposedly a sprinters' stage but it ended up with the GC contenders sprinting it out.

Since there are similar doubts over his form coming into the tour and an easy uphill finish which shouldn't take too much out of him if he does attack, I wonder if its on his mind.

And about taking the Maillot Jaune so early in the race, he'll give it up in the TTT anyways.

Now I know this isn't very likely, but Contador is a guy who attacks at the most unexpected moments.

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Everyone is saying gilbert or hushovd but i have feeling for goss who showed in milan san remo he could get over the poggio in good nick. With the ending too tough for cav i think HTC will give goss the freedom to go on this stage.

A

Anonymous

Could be a stage for Kolobnev.

Could also be carnage with loads of crashes.

Could also be ****-easy for Cavendish.

Perm any 2 from 3

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
roundabout said:
Goss is good, but I can't think of any results from him on uphill finishes. Doesn't mean that he can't be in the mix. but he won't be the rider I'd immediately think of as one of the favorites for second.

Normally I would not pick him but he only gets 1-2 stages to go FTW. HTC will want as many Green points so will want him to go hard.

At last year Vuelta when Gilbert won the uhill sprint Goss did really well - so just think he will do well.

Evans needs seconds and he will try and go with Gilbert I think.

The Hitch said:
Nah not too early to start the thread.

I much prefer prologues.

I dont expect this to be too great a stage. Gilbert to win. Cancellara to try from a few k out.

A contender to lose some time.

Agree with each of your 6 sentences.

Will be interesting to see if Cav goes for the intermediate, given that he can't score points at the finish. I'm betting not.

just some guy said:
Normally I would not pick him but he only gets 1-2 stages to go FTW. HTC will want as many Green points so will want him to go hard.

At last year Vuelta when Gilbert won the uhill sprint Goss did really well - so just think he will do well.

Evans needs seconds and he will try and go with Gilbert I think.

If you mean the stage to Toledo then Velits was the best HTC rider there. Could well be the same on Saturday.

I do agree with you that Goss should and probably would try. I doubt that he'll make top-5.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Gilbert for sure. For second, I reckon someone like Cunego, because it looks quite hard. The only sprinters left would be Bole, Dumoulin, Rojas/Ventoso, Hivert at best.

[edit]Hivert I don't even know well, I just stuck him in there because he's been discussed recently and I was reminded of his impressive win at the Vuelta a Andalucia.

I was going to put in Evans and Samu, but I don't think it's worthwhile for them to get involved, other than to make sure they don't lose time.