• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Tour De France Stage 17 (20/7/2011): Gap > Pinerolo, 179km

Page 45 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Thats the really sad bit and its the one thing ruining the Tour. The winner gets victory by defending for 21 days a lead he never even earned in the first place.

On the other hand, knowing where to position yourself on those first nervous stages is so important. Conta knows this, Hushovd knows this, but in those first days, Conta just didn't have the legs for anything fancy.

Arnout said:
No-one can beat Pantani. As much as I like Contador and his riding style, Pantani is more than that.

I lived in Italy for some time. Say ciclismo, they often don't care. Say Giro and they nod. Say Pantani and you get the Italians excited and you know how they talk when they are excited.

Well Il Pirata is my all time favorite rider, but Alberto is becoming a close second. Pantani didn't have all the around skills that Alberto has but they both ride/rode with the passion, excellence, poetry, heart and panache that makes cycling such an awesome sport.

A dream match up would be Pantani in his 1998 Giro form and Alberto in his 2011 Giro form. May the best man win!

Geez I love this sport!

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Way better climber? I don't know, His time on Plateau de Beille was 43:30
Contador in 07 44:0x

Give Contador the same 'help' as Pantani and I'm pretty confident Contador would beat Pantani's time into the ground.

pantani's ride on plateau de beille was after a longer and way harder race/course with 4 big cols while in 2007 were only 2

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
jobiwan said:
I know the camera is playing some tricks, but to me this is a cool-looking photo.

pic212591949_600.jpg

Nice pic.

In the frame is the podium.

Which ones?????

Ryo Hazuki said:
just like indurain was a way better climber than contador. these guys threw with minutes on mountains instead of seconds

I know your a bit nostalgic and i love Big Mig too but is there anything to back this up?

Pantani was a way better climber than Mig and Contador seemed to get close to Pantanis Plateau de Beille time in 07 even though the climb finished higher.

TRENDING THREADS