• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Tour de France Stage 18 - Pinerolo - Galibier Serre-Chevalier 200.5km

Page 113 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Donkey said:
Bjarne Riis is the biggest loser of the day.

Dont blame, Bjarne. He (and Alberto) kept alive the hope until the last breath with an incredible weak team. It is a complete disaster that a guy like AC should ride with half of the team weakened from the Giro (and they didnt do anything there either). Navarro, Hernandez, Nova, CAS has been horrible.

Forget AC's condition: could this happen to Lance Armstrong during his golden years? The answer is: absolutely not.
First of all especially after the hard Giro Alberto needed at least one super-domestic: Heras, Rubiera, Landis, Klöden, Leipheimer....
then a few other riders in a great shape.

A few TT-guys, super-domestiques, who could be in a break, pull the wind, cut gaps. Saxobank has been nowhere.

Maybe of the same importance is not to allow Leopard's Monfort and Gerdeman break away off the peloton.

They should have riders with them, and if a unexpected attack like the one from Andy, a guy with the possibility to stay with him is at least expected.

It's the shame that AC - Johann Bruyneel cooperation is gone, not that Alberto didn't make any mistakes during TdF2009 but the american approach - Armstrong and 4 example Horner in an interview that can be found on youtube acted like idiots.

Disagree with you. How the AC-Bruyneel cooperation ended is one of the most embarrasing moments in cycling, even bigger then how the Indurain-Unzue relationship turned out. Bjarne is a man to beat in tactical wizardry, however something radical must happen in Saxobank, still recovering for the chain of events after La Vuelta which saw half of the team went to LT.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Duartista said:
One common theme of the Giro and Tour this year is that domestiques able to set a consistently high pace day after day in the mountains are an endangered species. This can only be a good thing, IMO.

I find it rather annoying that there's still a full peloton at climbs like the Galibier... Rather have an US Postal train then.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Hartog said:
You're the guy with the Gilbert, Hushovd, Voeckler, Andy prediction? Pretty amazing.

Was reading through the thread again, found this, and actually that was me! :D
There will be exactly 4 yellow jerseys. (Gilbert, Hushovd, Voeckler, and Andy)
Voeckler will get the yellow jersey on Stage 9, but will not win the stage.
And here's a link for proof! I'm so close to being psychic!
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?p=576832#post576832

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
No_Balls said:
Dont blame, Bjarne. He (and Alberto) kept alive the hope until the last breath with an incredible weak team. It is a complete disaster that a guy like AC should ride with half of the team weakened from the Giro (and they didnt do anything there either). Navarro, Hernandez, Nova, CAS has been horrible...

Last year Navarro repeatedly burned off all bar the top 15 or so. Yet nothing this year, strange.

Captain_Cavman said:
Last year Navarro repeatedly burned off all bar the top 15 or so. Yet nothing this year, strange.

Navarro's done both the Giro and Tour. Think he didn't hit full gas at the Tour to leave something in reserve for the Tour, and then found out he used up too much at the Giro.

Or, also quite likely, he got involved in some of the crashes in the first couple of weeks but it wasn't reported as much because he's not such a big name as many of those who were also caught up. If he didn't pick up a major injury, it's hard to make a big deal of Navarro crashing when the likes of Leipheimer, Contador, Van den Broeck, Vinokourov, Horner, Brajkovic, Klöden, Wiggins and Gesink are all taking time on the deck and/or getting injured.

Captain_Cavman said:

I am very disappointed at Navarro. If the captain is suppose to perform and being in shape, the least one could expect is that their helpers is also.

I know your feelings regarding AC, but its my perspective. They havent been able to assist him after his crashes, they let Euskatel chasing at Stage 1, today he was alone again after the bike change. When he was with the meds at Agnel he rode alone.

Sorry, still a bit mad.

Would be funny if the non-climbers (sprinters) complain now like Schleck did.

"I'm 80kg, wtf, and then I have to pull myself up a mountain with strong headwind??? Are they insane? This is not healthy. This is an outrage! Do people really want to see the Tour being decided uphill? Unfair. I win more stages than climbers..pff"

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Just watched the last climb...I need a drink.

I'll give Baby Andy ONE credit -- he can go uphill fast.
That's it, that's his talent pool.
See when he started the decent on the Izo? He almost wiped out until he caught his teammate/downhill sherpa! Learn to ride a bike!

So now that Conti is out of the running (great Giro win, btw), I'll put all my hopes and dreams behind T.Vockie -- hell, why not!

And if not him, then Cadel. Hey, he did used to ride MTB back in the day.

Nice ride by Hesj, too.

Prediction for Huez -- Conti goes all out in a blaze of glory.....

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I haven't given full props to Cuddles for today's ride.

Pretty amazing effort - he spends so much time out of the saddle mashing a big gear - ugly but impressive.

I do think he should get a compact or wide ratio cassette and give himself another option.

Too bad he realised too late all the other favs were borked - should have had me as his DS ;)

If Tommy V cracks then pls God let Cuddles win

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Andy could lose big time tommorow...well that's what I hope :p

+ 1 but Cadel put in huge effort today as well

Obviously for a lot less time and I hope that because he did it on his terms he kept something back.

I hope he wins - except that it would be beyond awesome to see France go bonkers if Voeckler wins over all

Anyway no more Cadel wheelsucking comments - even if anyone with a brain stopped those in 2009

Andy's been a whiny Delta Bravo for most of the Tour, but he put in an attack to win today. Cuddles rode a strong race too, but he mis-calculated.

At this point I slightly root for Andy to win it. Cuddles is just too conservative for me. Don't love either of them, but both are worthy winners.

If I have to predict, I think Cuddles has him in the TT.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Winterfold said:
...it would be beyond awesome to see France go bonkers if Voeckler wins over all

What would be even MORE awesome is to see Cry Baby Andy go bonkers loosing the Tour to a mere 'French housewives' favorite! :D

He finally beat a super-talent like (a beat-up) Conti only to loose to a 'got nothing but guts' rider like Voeckler -- awesome!

Damn sometimes I wish people on this forum could be just the slightest bit more concerned with cheering on riders they like rather then being obsessed with those they dislike. In my opinion watching sports is a lot more fun if you're actually cheering someone on rather then just fixating on the hope someone will lose.

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
2wheels said:
Mods-- can we either direct innuendo posts like this to the proper forum, or at least send these folks some rotten cheese to go along with the sour grapes they're drinking?

Cadel Evans said the exact same things in interviews.

HE stated he was right on Andy's wheel and saw him preparing for an attack and he said he ran the numbers in his head--the time gaps, how far Andy had to go, if he followed Andy Frank would immediately ignite etc etc

He said he knew about the valley, the headwinds and even after coming across the finish line and resting he STILL DIDNT UNDERSTAND HOW ANDY MADE THE TIME IN THE VALLEY.

Andy only had a minute or so on the climb of Izoard.
He lost time on the Galibier.
It was in the valley he gained time.

Is this the new normal?
Let your domestiques (Montfort) drag you like crazy in the valley as opposed to the climbs?

davestoller said:
Is this the new normal?
Let your domestiques (Montfort) drag you like crazy in the valley as opposed to the climbs?

For an answer to that question I would suggest you go watch the 2004 Giro D'Italia and watch how Cunego won that. It's not something that happens often but it's been done before.

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Ramira said:
Damn sometimes I wish people on this forum could be just the slightest bit more concerned with cheering on riders they like rather then being obsessed with those they dislike. In my opinion watching sports is a lot more fun if you're actually cheering someone on rather then just fixating on the hope someone will lose.

says the poster whose favorite rider is still in contention to win the race. :D

spanky wanderlust said:
says the poster whose favorite rider is still in contention to win the race. :D

While that might be true, I do always find a rider to cheer on no matter what race. In the TDS I was cheering for Cunego to hold on and win it, in the Giro I was cheering for Nibali and in last year's vuelta it was Fränk and Andy. However when Fränk wasn't good enough to win it and Anton crashed out I found someone to cheer on in his stead (Velits) rather cheering against any of the others. My point is that I always look for my favourite in any sporting event I watch and cheer them on rather then find the one I like least and cheer against them.

And don't forget just a day ago I didn't believe Andy had a shot at winning it (and I gave very little for Fränk's chances either) however that didn't mean I suddenly wanted Evans or Contador to lose it. I wish for a Schleck to win this tour, but if they lose it I couldn't care less to whom it is.

Edit: And this isn't only about Andy Schleck, I think the whole anti Contador thread and the Evans hate is absurd too. I just wished people could focus more on those riders (and now that I think about it those things) they love and less on those riders (and things) they hate. I think it would make this forum (and heck the world) a better place for it in my opinion. But hey that's just me ;).

Ramira said:
For an answer to that question I would suggest you go watch the 2004 Giro D'Italia and watch how Cunego won that. It's not something that happens often but it's been done before.

there is a resume of that stage on youtube.

the tittle is something like damino cunego's masterpiece.

i would say that his masterpiece even surpassed andy's becaus he used more team mates over more climbs iirc

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
davestoller said:
Is this the new normal?

I think Andy had more like two minutes at the top of Izoard. Plus, why do people discredit all of the great work that the Leopard domestiques have done this whole tour? By the top of the Izoard, riders like Jens and Stuey had shredded a lot of potential helpers away from Evans, Basso, et al. Throw in a little bickering and indecision, and all the ingredients were there for Andy to keep gaining time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS