2011 Tour de France Stage 6: Dinan - Lisieux, 226.5 km

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 16, 2011
25
0
0
I'm looking at intermediate sprints to Neuveglise (Stage 9), Orgibet (Stage 14), Villare St. Pancrace (Stage 17), and Le Bourg 'd Oisans (Stage 19) to allow Gilbert and Hushovd to move away in the fight for the green jersey competition. Cadel, (if he falls out of GC contention), would make it a three way fight to Paris.

Also great block by GT at 110M to foil Hushovd and Goss in the final today.
 
Thoughtforfood said:
Cool, sorry, with the deluge of contrary opinion, I got a bit over cooked. You could very well be right, I just think it will be harder for him to pull of what he did in the Giro here because the Giro was so hard.
No need for excuses. I know how it is alone in the ring corner surrounded by fanboys. It is a very dark and lonely place.

The thing is (from my point of perspective) which causes a lot of misunderstanding, is that you don´t know if you are talking to another fanboy. In that case the slugfest could go on forever.

But generally you are right, we cant expect him to be in Giro-shape, depending on how much it took out of him of course.
 
Jul 7, 2009
484
0
0
T-Nielsen said:
What a load of pony. I was looking forward to se what he could do.
Like someone mentioned above. The guys that rode hard at the Giro are seriously struggling. Losing minutes on flat stages.
 
Jul 5, 2010
462
0
0
hatcher said:
That's fantastic.
More like embarrassing in my eyes, but in the heat of the moment and all that; I can forgive them for their chauvinistic outbursts :p
Not terribly great commentating before the finish line, as well.
 
meandmygitane said:
More like embarrassing in my eyes, but in the heat of the moment and all that; I can forgive them for their chauvinistic outbursts :p
Not terribly great commentating before the finish line, as well.
Yes, the norwegian commentating is indeed very, very embarrasing. And if you thought that was embarrasing, i bet you don´t want to find out how it sounded at the worlds.
 
Jul 2, 2009
2,394
0
0
washoezephyr1 said:
I'm looking at intermediate sprints to Neuveglise (Stage 9), Orgibet (Stage 14), Villare St. Pancrace (Stage 17), and Le Bourg 'd Oisans (Stage 19) to allow Gilbert and Hushovd to move away in the fight for the green jersey competition. Cadel, (if he falls out of GC contention), would make it a three way fight to Paris.
The problem is those stages aren't going to have breaks with four or five people in them. They're the ones which will have 10-20. So there will be very few points on offer, if any. And they'll find it very hard to get in any of those breaks.

There's still four sprinters stages to go (no ramps in the last 5km). That's 180 points on offer.
 
No_Balls said:
:D

Yes, very much like this. Sometimes it is funny, but the massive amounts of chauvinism in it becomes boring and a bit embarrasing after hearing it over and over. It is always like this.

All countries do it. Small countries are more likely to do overdo it though, because top level success is more unexpected and more of a novelty. You should try watching boxing with the Irish commentators some time. It does my head in completely.
 
Gesink's comment doesn't seem so strange in the actual interview. I hope he gets through this and gets to the mountains in top shape, so it doesn't have to be a point of argument (or excuses) later on.

By the way, am i the only one thinking Molema was pushing hard because Leipheimer was behind? Gesink's ITT not being his forte?
 
This is an auto-translation but I think Thoughtforfood was a little right and a lot wrong (and conversely I and others were a lot right and a little wrong):

“I've seen Voeckler, but I didn’t try at the end because I had not enough legs to go. I went very badly placed in the curve before the climb and I had to overcame the entire peloton. I had not enough strength and it was also not a final for me. The best was to be quiet there”.
So for those following at home (and I know that you are :p), AC didn't have the legs to contest the final because he wasted himself getting back to the front of the peloton after being badly placed coming out of that final curve.
 
Dec 27, 2010
6,674
0
0
TourOfSardinia said:
Team classification:

...
22 Saxo Bank Sungard 0:12:32

not good for the morale of AC's team
They will not care one iota. Navarro, Hernandez, Porte and Sorensen are finishing behind the bunch each day deliberately, they're saving energy for the much more important days to come. There's no need for these guys to take risks and use energy to stay up in the front in the final of the stage finishes.
 
Sep 9, 2009
6,391
0
0
Boassen wins the longest stage of the Tour.

And it's the shortest of his 3 GT stage wins.

But everyone knows he can't cope with long stages, because you know, everyone knows, so who needs to be able to articulate a reason, right?
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Logic-is-your-friend said:
Gesink's comment doesn't seem so strange in the actual interview. I hope he gets through this and gets to the mountains in top shape, so it doesn't have to be a point of argument (or excuses) later on.
Of course he can't get to the mountains in top shape. You really seem to be obsessed by the Gesink-VDB battle, so much that being injured is an excuse for not performing.

By the way, am i the only one thinking Molema was pushing hard because Leipheimer was behind? Gesink's ITT not being his forte?
No, that's not the reason. Mollema tried to win. Gesink was happy he could hang on.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Descender said:
He's won two Giro stages, and this one.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
But everyone knows he can't cope with long stages, because you know, everyone knows, so who needs to be able to articulate a reason, right?
Everyone knows (at least I hope they do) that a GT stage is not the same as a classic. You normally don't see a group of 50-odd guys sprinting for the win in a classic.
 
Jul 24, 2010
1,863
0
0
meandmygitane said:
More like embarrassing in my eyes, but in the heat of the moment and all that; I can forgive them for their chauvinistic outbursts :p
Not terribly great commentating before the finish line, as well.
Ah, cycling fans are too uptight imo. Wish everyone could enjoy a win as much as that guy did.
 
May 16, 2011
25
0
0
Mambo95 said:
The problem is those stages aren't going to have breaks with four or five people in them. They're the ones which will have 10-20. So there will be very few points on offer, if any. And they'll find it very hard to get in any of those breaks.

There's still four sprinters stages to go (no ramps in the last 5km). That's 180 points on offer.
I don't see (based on current form), Cav or Farrar winning more than one a piece of the four. Hushovd and Gilbert can make it into one or two of those big breaks, I think especially Borg as that stage will be together at the foot of the Alpe (should be an insane pace to that point), the points jersey on the line. The finals sprints on the Champs should be inconsequential.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Logic-is-your-friend said:
uch :rolleyes:

I'm not even going to dignify that comment with a response.
Honestly, I don't see how this could be interpreted otherwise :confused:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
I hope he gets through this and gets to the mountains in top shape, so it doesn't have to be a point of argument (or excuses) later on.
 
will10 said:
They will not care one iota. Navarro, Hernandez, Porte and Sorensen are finishing behind the bunch each day deliberately, they're saving energy for the much more important days to come. There's no need for these guys to take risks and use energy to stay up in the front in the final of the stage finishes.
They did the same in the Giro. They will show themselves once it's needed.
 
Jul 24, 2009
572
0
0
Lanark said:
Good news for Cav, Omega Pharma doesn't allow (!) Gilbert to sprint tomorrow, they'll only work for Greipel. It looks like it will be a race between Rojas and Cavendish for green then. Tomorrow's supersprint is less than 20 km from the finish, I'm curious what they'll do.
So they are lunatics just like Garmin? They're worried about keeping pancake flat stage sprinters happy (Farrar and Greipel) when both teams have a guy who could win the green jersey? The jersey is greater than a stage win. Oh, but they've got to keep all those egos sated. :rolleyes:
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts