2011 Tour de France Stage 6: Dinan - Lisieux, 226.5 km

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Gee I've never heard of Klodi having a disagreeable personality. :confused:
He is quiet and not liking center stage for sure, but while LL is bland and seems devoid of personality, Klodi always has a smile and a twinkle in his eye and seems a loyal and fair sort of fellow...
wow, maybe I missed a lot over the years?!:(
 
I haven't been following Kloden this year. Has he shown any kind of form that would lead one to think he's a contender for the win? Or a better chance than Horner?

Egads, it would certainly be fun to see Horner compete for the podium. I hope we've seen the last of Levi in this race, not that you ever see him in the race anyway until a TT...
 
May 16, 2011
25
0
0
Mambo95 said:
The problem with Rojas is that he's a bit of a journeyman. He's having his best season ever, but in six years as a pro he's only ever won six races. He's very adept at coming between third and seventh in lots of races.

If he wins he will deserve it, but if he wins it by coming between third and seventh a lot, it will be an underwhelming win for me, much like Charteau winning the KOM last year.
Final review of the points race so far. Gilbert, Hushovd, and Rojas have done the best to get combined maximum points each day. Evans and to a near extend Hushovd have killed it in the finals of each stage so far, (hope Cadel has the capacity to perform in the high mountains after all this effort). If Tyler wins tomorrow, then there will be the issue for Thor in team support over the green. If Thor is still close to GC time and Points lead after Super Besse, then JV should provide him some help towards the green, again if Millar/CVV/RH aren't moved up to the top 10 GC contenders by the first rest day).
 
Just saw the highlights, and even knowing the outcome, it was a great final to watch. Very happy for Hagen, but no matter who won, that was a well designed stage. In general, the first week has been great this year, pretty exciting compared to many other years.
 
Apr 28, 2009
1,205
0
0
Brailsford almost cries on norwegian TV, fantastic. Yates sounds like a drunk rock star.

Aldag disappointed that Sky "didn't do ****" and still won. Sour grapes :)
 
Oct 26, 2009
654
0
0
No_Balls said:
I suggest you don´t read to much in what this dynamic duo says. They would convince the listeners that a natural break from AC is a sign of weakness.
Phil: I can't believe that Contador had to take that bio break. He's now at the back of the peleton.
Paul: He really needs to figure out how to take bio breaks while he's still in the front.
 
Aug 9, 2010
448
0
0
ManInFull said:
Phil: I can't believe that Contador had to take that bio break. He's now at the back of the peleton.
Paul: He really needs to figure out how to take bio breaks while he's still in the front.
Paul: Eddy Merckx used to pedal backwards, face the peloton and p*ss on the entire front row. If Contador can't manage that then he isn't a true champion of this sport of bike racing.
 
red_flanders said:
I haven't been following Kloden this year. Has he shown any kind of form that would lead one to think he's a contender for the win? Or a better chance than Horner?

Egads, it would certainly be fun to see Horner compete for the podium. I hope we've seen the last of Levi in this race, not that you ever see him in the race anyway until a TT...
They're both having very good years - first and second in the Basque country, Kloden 2nd in Paris-Nice, Horner winning Tour of California. Horner in particular comes into this race very fresh, he's only had 21 days racing this season
 
Mar 11, 2009
5,841
3
0
kjetilraknerud said:
Aldag disappointed that Sky "didn't do ****" and still won. Sour grapes :)
He's kinda got a point, Sky have not done one minute of work chasing breakaways so far this tour. It's very sensible of them, there is no point in them wasting their energy when HTC and Garmin are willing and eager to work all day.
 
Apr 28, 2009
1,205
0
0
Jamsque said:
He's kinda got a point, Sky have not done one minute of work chasing breakaways so far this tour. It's very sensible of them, there is no point in them wasting their energy when HTC and Garmin are willing and eager to work all day.
He's got a point, but HTC could have chosen not to chase today, as Cavendish didn't have a chance and Goss was a bit of an outsider after being invisible so far.
 
ManInFull said:
Phil: I can't believe that Contador had to take that bio break. He's now at the back of the peleton.
Paul: He really needs to figure out how to take bio breaks while he's still in the front.
Chuffy said:
Paul: Eddy Merckx used to pedal backwards, face the peloton and p*ss on the entire front row. If Contador can't manage that then he isn't a true champion of this sport of bike racing.
:D

Ingsve said:
Yes, Roberto Vacchi and Anders Adamson
Ok, thanks. I watched them for some years ago and think they are very good and enjoyable.
 
Apr 12, 2010
647
0
0
kjetilraknerud said:
Brailsford almost cries on norwegian TV, fantastic. Yates sounds like a drunk rock star.

Aldag disappointed that Sky "didn't do ****" and still won. Sour grapes :)
Sky are last year's Garmin never doing any work on the front, however this year in this TDF is different as they have yellow to defend, but it's a bit ironic that Vaughters' complaing about getting no help from other teams which isn't true. Sky should step up and work on the front some times rather than expect everyone else to do it. They need to get in some practice ready for Cav's arrival if his move is true as they'll deffinately be on the front a lot then.
 
Chuffy said:
Paul: Eddy Merckx used to pedal backwards, face the peloton and p*ss on the entire front row. If Contador can't manage that then he isn't a true champion of this sport of bike racing.
:eek:
It's...beautiful

Alpe, you're off the hook this time b/c Chuffy made me laugh.
 
Alpe d'Huez said:
I think because like Levi, he's bland and dull as dishwater. Both on the road, and off it. Maybe that's it. On this side of the pond we pick on Levi instead of him because of their native language I guess, but they both have similar riding styles, and similar personalities (if you can call it personality).
Levi: "I lost a minute. That sucks."
now that's what I call personality not!
 
Jul 24, 2009
572
0
0
Chuffy said:
Paul: Eddy Merckx used to pedal backwards, face the peloton and p*ss on the entire front row. If Contador can't manage that then he isn't a true champion of this sport of bike racing.
:D You win the thread.
 
Jul 5, 2010
462
0
0
hatcher said:
Ah, cycling fans are too uptight imo. Wish everyone could enjoy a win as much as that guy did.
"Norwegians owning the cycling world".
Scream for joy, yes.
Scream that EBH and Hushovd is fantastic, superb, sure.

But "owning" "the cycling world" is nothing I want to hear either from Spaniards (which has the most cause for saying it than a country which happens to have two really good sprinters for the moment) or any nation's commentators for that matter.

And as for the commentating being bad, I meant
1. It was only about Thor's and EBH's positions, not the others.
2. Didn't recognize Mollema, didn't mention Ciolek, Gilbert, Rojas, Feillu once in the sprint or leading up to the sprint.
3. They talk too slow and intermittent thus not transmitting any information to the viewers

But they know what they are serving the public, it's like a global fast food chain, don't look for any Michelin stars but people keep swallowing it :)

Great work by EBH and Thor though, I will add.

Also, I think you can combine enthusiasm and good, informative, correct and timely commentation, it's just a bit harder.
 
Jun 22, 2009
4,991
0
0
Chuffy said:
Paul: Eddy Merckx used to pedal backwards, face the peloton and p*ss on the entire front row. If Contador can't manage that then he isn't a true champion of this sport of bike racing.
Classic!:D

Best (in terms of viewer excitement) first week in many years. Who would have thought, for example, that Vacansoleil would be so eye-catching with four different riders, and that they would claim the polka-dot? Sadly, not all surpises have been positve with too many crashes and injuries. We'll just have to wait for proper climbs to find out if AC is indeed vulnerable, and if Schlecklet has been playing possum, but at the moment the GC looks wide open and up for grabs. Who will show the biggest cojones?:p
 
May 6, 2009
8,524
1
0
I haven't seen the stage yet, but why did Kiryienka fail to finish inside the time cut? I guess he has paid for doing the Giro.
 
Apr 28, 2011
84
0
0
meandmygitane said:
"Norwegians owning the cycling world".
Scream for joy, yes.
Scream that EBH and Hushovd is fantastic, superb, sure.

But "owning" "the cycling world" is nothing I want to hear either from Spaniards (which has the most cause for saying it than a country which happens to have two really good sprinters for the moment) or any nation's commentators for that matter.

And as for the commentating being bad, I meant
1. It was only about Thor's and EBH's positions, not the others.
2. Didn't recognize Mollema, didn't mention Ciolek, Gilbert, Rojas, Feillu once in the sprint or leading up to the sprint.
3. They talk too slow and intermittent thus not transmitting any information to the viewers

But they know what they are serving the public, it's like a global fast food chain, don't look for any Michelin stars but people keep swallowing it :)

Great work by EBH and Thor though, I will add.

Also, I think you can combine enthusiasm and good, informative, correct and timely commentation, it's just a bit harder.
As a norwegian i think the comment about the norwegian owning the world was a little embarrasing. But I have to say that the norwegian comments at TV2 overall is very good, the got a lot of knowledge about all the riders in the peleton, and also a lot of information about the diffrent places the tour visits. Obviously they get a little high at the finish when both Thor and Boasson Hagen is in the final, but sometimes it gets a little to much. But afterh all their job is to deliver for the norwegian tv viewers. And the fact is cycling is know one of the most popular sports in Norway these days, 10 years ago nobody cared about the tour. But TV2 have made really good job promoting the sport in Norway showing the tour every year for many years. But sometimes they get a little to focused on the norwegian athlets, but after all this is their job.

I think you should look long to find commentators bringing so much information to the viewers as these do, but in the finish they are only focusing on the norwegian riders when they fight for the win. But if you look at the overall race I find these commentators very good, they got a database for all the riders careere and results and give a lot of information about the diffrent riders during the stage. For instance today the told that Petacchi wont the climbers jersey in Tour de Langkwai(or whatever the name is) some years ago. Unless you are an extremly big fan of him you would have no idea about this. But I agree in the fact that they get a little to nationalistic at the end of this stage.
 
craig1985 said:
I haven't seen the stage yet, but why did Kiryienka fail to finish inside the time cut? I guess he has paid for doing the Giro.
Kiryienka has rode Tirreno-Adriatico, Critérium International (2nd overall), País Vasco (stage win), all 3 Ardennes Classics, the Giro (stage win) and the Route du Sud (GC win). He crashed on stage 1, and wasn't originally meant to be in the Tour team but has stepped in due to the tragedies that have befallen the team.

He's been going full blast since mid-March and it's just caught up with him - maybe he had a crash or wasn't feeling too good today, but whereas that would normally mean coming in with the bus, today it meant HD.
 
Poor Kiryienka i thought he was suited to today. Great by EBH and Geraint. Bad positioning by Goss by being too far down, but man he's fast. Thor is honouring the jersey and once he loses it i expect him to take the green and hold it to Paris. Super by Malori. Is he considering doing a Tony Martin??? to finish in the top 10 of a GT ever???
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS