• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Tour de Romandie, Tues 26th April - Sun May 1st, 2.WT

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site

Prologue, 3.5km, Martigny
Stage 1: Martigny - Leysin, 172.6km
Stage2: Romont - Romont, 171.8km
Stage 3: Thierrens - Neuchatel, 165.7
Stage 4 (ITT): Aubonne - Signal de Bougy, 20.1km
Stage 5: Champagne - Geneva, 164.6km

Startlists, Feed options and Profiles (steephill)

Official site (has more details about stages throughout the site)

Notable starters: Roche (AG2R), Evans and Phinney (BMC), Martin, Pinotti and Renshaw (HTC), Pozzato (KAT), Basso (LIQ), Kreuziger and Vinokourov (AST), Chicchi and Ciolek (QST), Freire and Sanchez (RAB), Porte (SBS), Rogers, Thomas and Wiggins (SKY), D.Martin and C.Meyer (GRM), Bennati (LEO), Brajkovic (RSH), Carrara (VCD), Menchov (GEO).

Last year:
Final general classification
1 Alejandro Valverde (Caisse d'Epargne) 17:35:55*
2 Simon Spilak (Lampre) + 0:11
3 Denis Menchov (Rabobank) + 0:21
4 Michael Rogers (HTC-Columbia) + 0:35
5 Vladimir Karpets (Katusha) + 0:42
6 Janez Brajkovic (RadioShack) + 0:52
7 Tiago Machado (Team Radioshack) + 1:16
8 Macro Pinotti (HTC-Columbia) + 1:27
9 Marcel Wyss (Cervelo) + 1:28
10 Igor Anton Hernandez (Euskatel) + 1:34

*suspended soon after race

05-podium-PIC108345781-640.jpg

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

Prologue, 3.5km, Martigny
Stage 1: Martigny - Leysin, 172.6km
Stage2: Romont - Romont, 171.8km
Stage 3: Thierrens - Neuchatel, 165.7
Stage 4 (ITT): Aubonne - Signal de Bougy, 20.1km
Stage 5: Champagne - Geneva, 164.6km

Startlists, Feed options and Profiles (steephill)

Official site (has more details about stages throughout the site)

Notable starters: Roche (AG2R), Evans and Phinney (BMC), Martin, Pinotti and Renshaw (HTC), Pozzato (KAT), Basso (LIQ), Kreuziger and Vinokourov (AST), Chicchi and Ciolek (QST), Freire and Sanchez (RAB), Porte (SBS), Rogers, Thomas and Wiggins (SKY), D.Martin and C.Meyer (GRM), Bennati (LEO), Brajkovic (RSH), Carrara (VCD), Menchov (GEO).

boring course.
Martin to win.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The climb up to Leysin in stage 1 isn't overly hard (8.5km at 4.5%), Martin will have little trouble to stay with the leaders but the final km is @ 6.8%. Does anyone have an official average gradient and length for the climb to leysin

Final km in stage 2 is at 6.5% - should be interesting

The climb in the tt looks to be 3.6km at 3.8%

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
he handled harder then that at PN.
6.8% isn't anything martin shouldn't be able to handle.
Maybe 5-10 secs will be lost if someone puts in a well timed attack.

He should easily win with the tt in mind tho.

Porte, Cadel and Martin for the win overall. Maybe Phinney on the prolouge. Of course all the strong sky ITT's, Meyer, Zabriskie, Millar, Radioshack focused ITT's, Menchov, Peraud, Basso and Pinotti. I think people who could win it if they have the form i suppose them to have are Szmyd if he gets in a break he can hold on in the stages and Luis Leon Sanchez. Also Vino who might get a KILL STREAK going from LBL. Pity Kloden will not be in it but he is already tiring from his efforts earlier.

Astana, Htc, Bmc, Sky, Garmin and SBS have the strongest teams. Do not expect Radioshack to go so well except Hermans.

Daniel Martin is doing the ToC instead of Romandie; he won't be riding.

Tony Martin, on the other hand, might already be thinking of the Tour. I don't know if he really wants to ride for the win in Romandie.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
sad, that the TdR has become such an easy race. I remember the 90's when high calibre riders were fighting for the win and the race profile even contained real climbs! ridicolous. but maybe this is all part of the Tour and GT focus that Pharmstrong brought along. Pro Tour races must not be to demanding and difficult...

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Sylvester said:
Daniel Martin is doing the ToC instead of Romandie; he won't be riding.

Tony Martin, on the other hand, might already be thinking of the Tour. I don't know if he really wants to ride for the win in Romandie.

The tour is still a long way away. If he didn't wanna win here (on such an easy course) why would he even bother turning up?

Riding romandie will not tire anyone out for the tour.

The giro on the other hand... I find it ridiculous people are entertaining ideas that ac could do the double.

la.margna said:
sad, that the TdR has become such an easy race. I remember the 90's when high calibre riders were fighting for the win and the race profile even contained real climbs! ridicolous. but maybe this is all part of the Tour and GT focus that Pharmstrong brought along. Pro Tour races must not be to demanding and difficult...

the entire calendar seems like a walk in the park compared to this years giro.
that is one last 8-9 days :D

Sylvester said:
This race is always between riders making use of their form coming off the Ardennes, and riders in Giro prep. I think Tony Martin wants to get a good result in Liege, and is peaking for that (somewhat), so he'll still be good for this race. And it suits him to a tee.

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I like this course, the stages may not be overly hard, but they should lead to some exciting racing.

All except for the final stage which is a bit of a let down. Big bunch finish for the big city finish I suppose.

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Am I right in assuming that with One HD going to TV channel heaven shortly there will be no (extremely) delayed coverage of this this year?

So no real FTA in Australia coverage until SBS squeeze 10 minutes worth in between an ad break on Cycling Central?

What about Michael Rogers? He has been quite bad earlier in the season and should soon start doing something, considering his goal of doing well in 1 week races.

Sky has a very strong team, but I guess they'll just be racing for 2nd or 3rd like they did in P-N. With Sutton, Swift and Thomas for the sprints they should be able to get a stage or two, though.

This used to be a much better race with tougher climbs. Quite a few riders could win this but it will probably be one of the better time triallists. I suppose Roger's will use this as a tune up for another shot at the Tour of California. Evans may not be fit enough. Possibly Menchov for the win or Tony Martin ?

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I'll go with Porte for the overall... He is in a pretty good form and his TT is very well tuned up cuz Tony Martin should be in a way down with his form...
Menchov is a good bet but He's using a very weird training method not racing at all... his last race was Catalunya FFS! :mad:

Ryaguas said:
I'll go with Porte for the overall... He is in a pretty good form and his TT is very well tuned up cuz Tony Martin should be in a way down with his form...
Menchov is a good bet but He's using a very weird training method not racing at all... his last race was Catalunya FFS! :mad:

Yes, Porte has to be considered as well. He is a consistent performer in time trials.

TRENDING THREADS