• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Vuelta a España, Stage 19: Noja - Bilbao (158,5km)

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
More Strides than Rides said:
Tactics only get you so far. The race is ultimately a test of who is faster (If sky were stronger there would be more of them in the group, they would TTT faster, ect.). I think everyone can live with the fact that Froome just is not strong enough to overtake Cobo. No need to over complicate things
If Froome was free in his role after the ITT he would have won the Vuelta, simple as that.

also incidentally, in pure time, without bonus seconds, Froome did better than Cobo even as helper for Wiggins half the Vuelta

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Straßenrennen said:
think the ttt is a sore point by sky at the moment.

This, and the not excisting 2nd ITT. It's the missing link.
There should be one tomorrow, but ok.....I hope for the big TT-revenge next year.
Now Cobo wins. Looks too strong and clever to still lose it right now.
Deserved anyway, and no fault. He didn't design the course. :)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Forunculo said:
Froome lost 27 at the Manzaneda helpinh Wiggo + potential bonus seconds:mad:

It's pretty normal in the Vuelta. Just did some counting and if I'm not mistaken, Contador would have won the Vuelta with only 1 second in 2008 without bonus seconds :p

Cobblestoned said:
This, and the not excisting 2nd ITT. It's the missing link.
There should be one tomorrow, but ok.....I hope for the big TT-revenge next year.
Now Cobo wins. Looks too strong and clever to still lose it right now.
Deserved anyway, and no fault. He didn't design the course. :)
I think next year we'll see the return of GT's with 2 long time trials.
I mean I've seen enough of all the climbers GT's now. I think the lack of the 2nd time trial actually makes climbers ride more conservatively instead of attacking. So bring back that 2nd ITT

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
I mean I've seen enough of all the climbers GT's now. I think the lack of the 2nd time trial actually makes climbers ride more conservatively instead of attacking. So bring back that 2nd ITT

Tour is rumoured to have Alpe Dhuez time trial and one long time trial with prologue and team time trial.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Just got back from the finish, pure craziness. I've never seen some one so extatic ob the podium! Chapeau to igor!

Only bothersome part was the people who came simply to protest politically. I even saw a few kids throw tacks in the road at the 200t meter to go point. Asides the few disruptive individuals the event and the finish was fantastic

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Agreed, a second ITT (preferably on the penultimate stage) would be an ideal scenario.

Dekker_Tifosi said:

Agreed, it's a must.

Also what's with the GTs copying each other blatantly?

nvpacchi said:
Just got back from the finish, pure craziness. I've never seen some one so extatic ob the podium! Chapeau to igor!

Only bothersome part was the people who came simply to protest politically. I even saw a few kids throw tacks in the road at the 200t meter to go point. Asides the few disruptive individuals the event and the finish was fantastic

Nice :cool: I want pics again :p

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Armchair cyclist said:
Amused to see one Jamaican flag among all the Basque ones at the top of the Vivero: not sure who he was supporting.

It was the ganjaman. :D

Will riders be tested positive for THC ?
Basque country up in smoke.

PMartens83
Haha the great crazy basque people made this stage a special experience...on the climb the sweet weed air explaind a lot :)

Poursuivant said:
Third week has been a big anti climax.

I'm not sure that it is the right word, not even if you were exclusively cheering for Froome (or Mollema).

The week climaxed, with a rising action on Pena Cabagra. It just wasn't a happy ending. The week was exciting, admit it. We were all glued to two stages that would normally have been assumed off to Rodriguez and then Sagan. Hell even stage 16 had a lot of exciting tension from the did he/ didn't he intermediate sprint, to the chaos at the finish.

Check out the comments 7ish days ago, saying the last week was worthless, and a blunder by organizers. Still think so?

I know what you were saying; it would have been great to see a shake up. But lets make sure we call this Vuelta as good as it really was.

Cobblestoned said:
It was the ganjaman. :D

Will riders be tested positive for THC ?
Basque country up in smoke.

PMartens83
Haha the great crazy basque people made this stage a special experience...on the climb the sweet weed air explaind a lot :)

basque people are notorious for that,lots of green in the basque country:D

the problem for sky today was cobo,they felt him strong,very strong.unfortunately for a good show,he couldn't be dropped at all so froome tried just once and that was it.
i guess sky have to be very content with two guys on the podium anyway.
the public was just like i imagined it,absolutely awesome.

TRENDING THREADS