• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Vuelta a España Stage 20: Bilbao → Vitoria, 185km

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site

20_perfil.gif

mapa20.jpg

Who will win this Vuelta? Froome or Cobo?

Who will take the final podium spot? Mollema or Wiggins?

We have a four way battle today which will make the stage aggressive

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Why would they make the final climb so far from the finish, it makes it less decisive. Either way I`m cheering for Froome but Cobo should win.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
IS that final climb more than 40k away from the line? Its actually a pretty hard climb that could be exciting to watch if people attack. If they race hard in the beginning then possibly Sky could try to make a hard race with lofkvist/possoni, and then launch Wiggins on that climb. Maybe he stays away for 15 k and then gets pulled back by Geox, which is followed by a Froome suprise attack on a small hill! For the record I still want Cobo to win, he definitely deserves it after how he has ridden.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
What a lame stage profile. Surely they must have a steep little hill or something to make it interesting in the last km or two.

dunno if there is suitable town near the climb, but it could have been a pretty sweet finish to the vuelta if the finish was close to Urkiola

craig1985 said:
What a lame stage profile. Surely they must have a steep little hill or something to make it interesting in the last km or two.

Well to be fair not every stage can be an mtf, and as long as its not a pan flat, im willing to give it a try.

Im intrigued as to who can win.

It would be better if the climb was a bit closer as no one expects Froome to do a 40k tt but what the Vuelta have done is moved the mountain stages (eg Frapona, Sierra Nevada) earlier and put the other stages into the 3rd week. An interesting tactic as it allows more use of the secondary stages. If this stage was in week 1 it would not look out of place.

Also someone said Vuelta didnt want Pais Vasco to host any major stages in case they had to be cancelled.

If i were sky i would pace it hard up all climbs so that the group at the finish is small enough that Froome can try for a stage win.

It wont work but you can get a lot of fans by trying stuff like that.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Well to be fair not every stage can be an mtf, and as long as its not a pan flat, im willing to give it a try.

It would be better if the climb was a bit closer as no one expects Froome to do a 40k tt but what the Vuelta have done is moved the mountain stages (eg Frapona, Sierra Nevada) earlier and put the other stages into the 3rd week. An interesting tactic as it allows more use of the secondary stages. If this stage was in week 1 it would not look out of place.

Also someone said Vuelta didnt want Pais Vasco to host any major stages in case they had to be cancelled.

If i were sky i would pace it hard up all climbs so that the group at the finish is small enough that Froome can try for a stage win.

Its just that sky doesnt have a strong enough team to keep up the pace for that long and Geox will not help at all. People like sagan will catch back on with the help of liqui which is stronger than sky.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
sky need to split things up early. Set a real hard tempo and Froome/Wiggins need to put in an early attack. They need to go from a long way out imo to get rid of Cobo's team mates and then they can work over Wiggins. If Cobo has some team mates with him over the top of the Urikiola then they have no hope of staying away.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:

No of course not, but something like the San Lorenzo finish that J-Rod won is pretty cool.

The Hitch said:

Froome trying for a stage win this way may be the best Sky can hope for, because I don't think Sky is going to be able to shed Cobo even if Cobo has no team with him.

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
Pity Sky have the second String Team Here... GT would of been a Big Asset on this Tour... Could of put in some more damaging Attacks etc etc and not got shelled... Think Cobo is still Beatable if Attacked properly.. Not sure Sky have enough ammo in the team though..

auscyclefan94 said:
sky need to split things up early. Set a real hard tempo and Froome/Wiggins need to put in an early attack. They need to go from a long way out imo to get rid of Cobo's team mates and then they can work over Wiggins. If Cobo has some team mates with him over the top of the Urikiola then they have no hope of staying away.

To be honest, Sky will burn themselves out before getting rid of Geox (when Lokvist pulled over yesterday there were still 3 Geox guys with Cobo). However, I guess their only real chance is to try a give Froome a chance of winning the stage (i.e. they have to ride hard), but I reckon it's going to end like yesterday. Sylvain ftw.

3wheeler said:
Pity Sky have the second String Team Here... GT would of been a Big Asset on this Tour... Could of put in some more damaging Attacks etc etc and not got shelled... Think Cobo is still Beatable if Attacked properly.. Not sure Sky have enough ammo in the team though..

Maybe, but GT definitely peaked for the Tour and would not have been so good for the Vuelta.. After watching yesterday's stage, I agree (unfortunately) that they don't have the ammo.

The finish had to be in Vitoria (the capital of the Basque Country) because that's what the Basque authorities wanted: finishes in Bilbao and Vitoria.

And there is no single climb close to Vitoria, it's panflat down there.

Also, there was a significant risk (I guess there still is) that these two stages had to be cancelled like the last ones in the area in 1978, so the organisers didn't want to make any important stage for the GC since that would adulterate the race a lot should they have to be cancelled.

Now about the stage, I honestly think Sky should forget about the finish line and concentrate on Froome attacking on the small climbs right before the intermediate sprints.

TRENDING THREADS