• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Vuelta a Espana, Stage 21: Circuito del Jarama - Madrid, 94km

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
We have reached the final grand tour stage of the year. (Where did it all go?)
This SHOULD be nothing more than a victory lap for Juan Jose Cobo, but he will need to be on his guard as there are some time bonuses available and it remains to be seen if Chris Froome will go for them. Either way, the final sprint should come down to a sprint finish in Madrid

vuelta2011_stage_21_map_600.jpg

21_perfil.gif

21uk.jpg

This is the climax, the day the sprinters have been waiting for. And this year two are locked in combat for the crowning glory of a sprinter's palmares, the green jersey in a grand tour. They've dragged their muscle bound bodies over the cols and now they are back in their element. One final time will their fast twitch muscle spring into action, all the more painful after three weeks of heroic effort, but still able to propel their machine to speeds unthinkable to us mortals. This is it. This is the day they have to deliver. So who will it be?

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Tank Engine said:
This is the climax, the day the sprinters have been waiting for. And this year two are locked in combat for the crowning glory of a sprinter's palmares, the green jersey in a grand tour. They've dragged their muscle bound bodies over the cols and now they are back in their element. One final time will their fast twitch muscle spring into action, all the more painful after three weeks of heroic effort, but still able to propel their machine to speeds unthinkable to us mortals. This is it. This is the day they have to deliver. So who will it be?

The final circuit is not flat. Actually all it's needed for the show is to move the finish line to its highest point, just at the door of the Telefonica building in Gran Vía. :D

Should be an interesting showdown for the points jersey today between Mollema and JRod. I am sure it's Mollema's if he wants it. I am sure he can finish in the top 15 and higher than Rodriguez. Not entirely sure if he wants it though.

craig1985 said:
Is Madrid a flat city or is it quite hilly in the out skirts?

Madrid is hilly as ****. Everywhere i go im either going up or downhill. From Plaza Espana, one of the central points of the city the already mentioned alto de Gran Via is a real killer when all you want to do is go to buy a sandwhich.

When im in a hurry i plan my route around which will take in the least climbing rather than what is longer.

And from Gran Via up to Bilbao which is also city centre its also up hill, then to Nuevos ministerios which is the bit that the race enters that central hexagon it is another 2 3km of uphill climbing.

Going back to the original starting point of the bottom of Plaza Espana, you can see that there is a further considerable drop to everything you see.

I figure someone living Nuevos Minesterios has about twice as much alltitude to deal with as someone who lives in Principe Pio 5 metro stations away.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
greenedge said:
It would be great. However it won't happen sadly. If only Froome could be replaced for Cadel it could happen. I hope for Sagan to win the stage with GVA 2nd to get me some fantasy points.

ugh why?

Not like cadel could win on this stage.
First of all, anyone in froome position wouldn't have the advantage of the unexpected, which is pretty much the only angle it could work. Same would go for evans, unless you suddenly consider him a top flight sprinter.

LaFlorecita said:
How many seconds are up for grabs? 6+6+12 max?

6+6+20 (unless they've changed the rules).

With regard to the profile, I think I've seen the official one so many times that it's ingrained in my mind that Madrid is 690m above sea level. If I remember rightly, the World Championships happened there a few years back and Boonen won from a group of about 25. The race seemed to be a war of attrition over a rolling course.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Anyone have a more accurate map of the final circuit.

Anyone know where the best place to be is. To see the race and to see the podium.

Anyone else from CNF going?

Your detailed map:

scaled.php

A: Plaza del Emperador Carlos V, in front of Atocha railway station
B: Plaza de Colón
C: Plaza de Cibeles
D: Plaza de Callao

The stage finish is just before Cibeles on the way from Atocha to Colón next to the Town Hall. From pictures I deducts that podium was last year on the west side of Cibeles, facing Calle de Alcalá direction to Gran Vía and Sol. Two years ago it was at the door of the Town Hall, east of Cibeles. So who knows what they'll do today.

To see the race:
The finish line will be sunlit. Take a cap or a hat and your sun protection lotion if you plan to go there. The outer side of the circuit in the finish line is not accessible to the people. You can get close to the finish line on the inner side of the circuit. There are stands there, but I don't know if they are for general public. If not, you can get a spot at 100m before the finish. You can even be lucky to get close to a big screen where you can watch the race while they are away from your spot. If you want to be in the shade, a spot on the side of Banco de España will do.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
search said:
but I think the finish is slightly uphill, it's not completely flat. Nontheless, it's the same finish as in recent years so we should see a sprint

Petacchi is still in the race, of course.

Finish is 1-2% uphill on average. Shame they removed the cobbles they had there 10 years ago.

Km 3 to km 2 is mostly downhill with some 500m above 5%, so km 4 to km 3 is uphill.

Official profile is not accurate.

TRENDING THREADS