• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2011 Vuelta a Espana, Stage 21: Circuito del Jarama - Madrid, 94km

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Nah, you just don't get it. If you were correct, then it was a great joke and I wouldn't have baited. But now Mollema has won the points jersey the joke is technically incorrect. Because jersey winners get on the final podium.. so the joke fails.
To podium = to be in the top-3 of the GC. Simple as that.

Now, on a serious note:

Cobo - Who knew! On and off (mostly off) for most of his career, this win might be unexpected, but he certainly has the goods and always had them.

Froome - Who knew! Let's hope it's not a one-time affair...

Wiggins - Looks like he's a TdF climbs climber, still props to him for fighting for it after the TdF fall.

Mollema - Regular and proficient, falls short of getting into the podium but takes a jersey home. Good progress.

Rodriguez - Too inconsistent for a GT, case closed... still a great uphill finisher.

Nibali, Scarponi - I refuse to believe they're still paying the price for that Giro... but it's the only reasonable answer for their subpar performances.

Antón - Mental midget. That's it, really.

JVDB - He should get the benefit of the doubt after his hard fall.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
So what races is Cobo going to ride next year? Is he gonna go for the Giro/Vuelta? Or try for some early season stage races and only ride the Vuelta?

This is probably the first race where I like all the classification winners.

My nan seemed to take a liking to Cobo with all the shots of him at the finish :eek:

Mellow Velo said:
As usual, Eurosport blow out, just as quickly as they breeze in.
If it weren't for the Tour de France, you'd think podium presentations only ever take place at races that have engines.:mad:

Yeah I was annoyed at that. Turned over to ITV4 hoping to see the podiums, but they finished quarter of an hour early :rolleyes:

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
royalpig180 said:
I think Sagan has to be one of the favorites for the worlds now if he can recover well over the next few weeks.

his peach fuzz is filling in nicely. but worlds is a big ask for such a youngster. without a team no less.

a sagan win would be unbelievably awesome though!

Descender said:
Now, on a serious note:

Cobo - Who knew! On and off (mostly off) for most of his career, this win might be unexpected, but he certainly has the goods and always had them.

Wiggins - Looks like he's a TdF climbs climber, still props to him for fighting for it after the TdF fall.

Mollema - Regular and proficient, falls short of getting into the podium but takes a jersey home. Good progress.

Rodriguez - Too inconsistent for a GT, case closed... still a great uphill finisher.

Nibali, Scarponi - I refuse to believe they're still paying the price for that Giro... but it's the only reasonable answer for their subpar performances.

No, it's not. Sickness of the stomach as well, was reported. Plus, he did the Giro as well, so if Scarponi and Nibali can be excused, so should he, no? At least he won the most important stage..

zapata said:
No, it's not. Sickness of the stomach as well, was reported. Plus, he did the Giro as well, so if Scarponi and Nibali can be excused, so should he, no? At least he won the most important stage..

No, he can't be excused. Not any longer. He rode both Giro and Vuelta like Nibali and Scarponi, but those two actually did well in one of them...

That was a close finish. Shame Sagan got misled by Wagner a few stages back, as it might have been a three way battle for the points jersey. Oh well, end of the GTs for this year. The highlights of this one were:

The Liquigas downhill TTT, the Angliru (naturally) and the Pena Cabarga, where it looked for a moment like Cobo might crack.

A very unexpected podium
Cobo - was the most consistent in the mountains, covered Froome's attacks in the last week and so deserved to win.

Froome - the revelation of the tour. Hopefully, he has gained a lot of focus (for sure he has gained a lot of confidence) over the last three weeks and this will not be the last we see of him.

Wiggins - As I feared, the steep slopes were too much for him, but on the more Alpine style climbs, he was ready and able to make the tempo.

Apart from that

Mollema - Very consistent and willing to attack. A rather surprise (but deserving) winner of the green jersey.

Dan Martin - Showed that he can compete in a grand tour. He needs to improve his TT, but deserved his stage win in the mountains.

Moncoutie - A very stylish climber, who just seems to love Spain

Sagan - He's already frighteningly good

Descender said:
No, he can't be excused. Not any longer. He rode both Giro and Vuelta like Nibali and Scarponi, but those two actually did well in one of them...

He won on the Zoncolan, and he won the very different stage to Bilbao. A good year, all in all. GC-wise he did nothing, and I know every spaniard wants to be a stage racer, but maybe he'd better focus on stages and one day races? Like Rodriguez, really..

Descender said:

So JVBD gets a valid sick note for a crash (fair enough in my opinion), but Igor doesn't? Anton was clearly out of sorts at the beginning of the Vuelta due to a recent illness. He fought through and won impressively in the final week. Comparing with expectations, you could say his Vuelta was disappointing, but mental midget:confused: I'm with Zapata on this one.

Spine Concept said:
So what? I can make such ''jokes'' all day long about Evans and it would cause havoc in here, especially with the fanboys. Believe what you want, it's clear to me. Heck I could take a dig at any rider I dislike as long as I put a "kidding wink smiley wink wink wink smiley" in there right?

My suggestion is too ignore such obvious bait posts. It's a lot less interesting for a troll if nobody replies.

Kwibus said:
My suggestion is too ignore such obvious bait posts. It's a lot less interesting for a troll if nobody replies.

Admittedly I did not take the time to read your post in it's entirety. Nevertheless, I agree albeit not taking the bait myself. I was merely refuting a diluted fact in his post. Anyway, it doesn't matter at this point since it has already been strung out way longer than it should have been already.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Descender said:
Now, on a serious note:

No, he didn't. He came out of nowhere in 2007.

Tank Engine said:
So JVBD gets a valid sick note for a crash (fair enough in my opinion), but Igor doesn't? Anton was clearly out of sorts at the beginning of the Vuelta due to a recent illness. He fought through and won impressively in the final week. Comparing with expectations, you could say his Vuelta was disappointing, but mental midget:confused: I'm with Zapata on this one.

What is his excuse for his lackluster Giro then? Antón has been touted as a GTs candidate for ages, and he keeps falling short time and time again, despite quite obviously having the talent.

TRENDING THREADS