• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Gilbert:Genghis Khan-like total annihilation of the classics?

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which of those races will be freshly put in Phil's palmares this season?

• Giro dell'Emilia

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
grande phil!

“Not winning is more the fault of the other teams than of myself,” he told Het Nieuwsblad. “They no longer let me ride like I did last year.”

it's other teams fault that i'm 200 watts shorter this year

:eek:

big phil fan as always but i wonder if he will ever win a big race again...:(

also this thread is just wow:p

jens_attacks said:
grande phil!

“Not winning is more the fault of the other teams than of myself,” he told Het Nieuwsblad. “They no longer let me ride like I did last year.”
The same happened to Cance in 2011. We should review Phil's races to see if what he says is true. Or is he blaming BMC?

I suspect it's more a case of him enjoying the spoils of his success and lacking the hunger and motivation to train to maintain the level that he had the past 2 years. He's had ample opportunities to produce at ends of races and he's come up short of his performances in 2011 and 2010. He's been in the mix in many of the races but wasn't the same dominant rider. I'm sure teams gearing their strategies to contain him has some effect on his performances but I can't accept that similar tactics weren't used before. As was stated earlier, he simply rode his opponents off of his wheel, regardless of their efforts to contain him.

jens_attacks said:
grande phil!

Sure. The outright brutality of Purito to faster on the Mur de Huy than Mr Gilbert :rolleyes: Stupid teams that ride against him.

phanatic said:
The same happened to Cance in 2011. We should review Phil's races to see if what he says is true. Or is he blaming BMC?

can't compare it to cancellara.
nobody raced against phil because he didn't matter anyway in pretty much any race of this season.
fabian was killed through tactics in that spring.he was still the strongest rider out there

i just hope phill will somehow manage to get in some form for lombardia altough i very much doubt about that.

jens_attacks said:
grande phil!

I love the comment that they no longer "let" him. LMAO. I cannot remember a race last year where they let him, looks like they had no choice.

But how does he explain the national TT? Did everyone think it was a tempo ride last year except for Phil?

He does seem to have taken a big step down this year.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Last year's TT was more hilly than this year's. Hermans was faster on the flat parts last year, but Phil made up the time on the hills.

I would say his TT is around his 2007-2010 level right now.

El Pistolero said:
Last year's TT was more hilly than this year's. Hermans was faster on the flat parts last year, but Phil made up the time on the hills.

I would say his TT is around his 2007-2010 level right now.

Well, you've basically supported what I said, which was more objective tests of fitness still indicate he is not where he was last year, and it has little to do with other teams.

Angliru said:
I suspect it's more a case of him enjoying the spoils of his success and lacking the hunger and motivation to train to maintain the level that he had the past 2 years. He's had ample opportunities to produce at ends of races and he's come up short of his performances in 2011 and 2010. He's been in the mix in many of the races but wasn't the same dominant rider. I'm sure teams gearing their strategies to contain him has some effect on his performances but I can't accept that similar tactics weren't used before. As was stated earlier, he simply rode his opponents off of his wheel, regardless of their efforts to contain him.

I don't think the team would have made a difference. To me it seems more physical. His form last year was always going to be hard to replicate. Last year, strategy did not matter, he just rode away from everyone every time a race hit the final hill. I expected him to win something but not dominate. Not an Andy Schleck year for him but he must be very disappointed as his new team would be. Ballan and Evans have had much better years without winning much themselves but Ballan had a great classics season without grabbing a win. Too bad for him that Boonen 's form was so exceptional.

Mellow Velo said:

Lucky Cav never said anything resembling this after the Olympic RR...................oh wait.
What Cav said was very different. It was a standard "I don't get everyone else's tactics", Vino just said the same regarding the Tour in his last interview. It's kind of silly, but their position is defensible: some could argue Cav had a point about Germany and Australia, although the opposite can be argued too.

But what Gilbert said is simply ridiculous. It makes no sense whatsoever.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Panda Claws said:
Gilbert is overreacting, but we can certainly find a few examples where this was true.

Let's take the Amstel Gold Race for example, where he had to start his sprint way too early because no-one else would help them chase Freire.

But it's not true at all. He was tactically in a much better position than last year, were Andy Schleck attacked, and he had to actually chase in the background before they even started the Cauberg. If he was in 2011 form, his win this year would have been easier than last year. The problem all season has been that he is in his worst shape in 5 years.

Lanark said:
But it's not true at all. He was tactically in a much better position than last year, were Andy Schleck attacked, and he had to actually chase in the background before they even started the Cauberg. If he was in 2011 form, his win this year would have been easier than last year. The problem all season has been that he is in his worst shape in 5 years.

Yeah, I agree. It's a bit weak to blame your trouble on the other teams though. I respect PG and his accomplishments a lot, but he should really learn from what went wrong this season (during winter preparation as well) if he wants to be back as a contender in any race he enters in 2013. His form has been improving as the season progresses though so he's definitely still a favourite for Lombardia (although some of the climbs may be too hard for a rider like him this year) and the Worlds

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
What he actually said was this by the way: "Vorig jaar was ook een uitzonderlijk seizoen. Ik word nu dus meer geviseerd. Ik was in de Ronde van Vlaanderen zeker geen favoriet, maar toen ik aanviel, reageerde iedereen meteen."

A journo asked if it was difficult to cope with the internal or external pressure of the peloton.

El Pistolero said:
What he actually said was this by the way: "Vorig jaar was ook een uitzonderlijk seizoen. Ik word nu dus meer geviseerd. Ik was in de Ronde van Vlaanderen zeker geen favoriet, maar toen ik aanviel, reageerde iedereen meteen."

A journo asked whether he felled the internal or external pressure of last year.

That's a awful example to give of him though, since he would have had 0% chance to win that RVV anyway, even if he escaped in a break with Andrey ****in Amador.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
No, that's the point he was making in the interview. He was giving an example where his form was low and they still reacted on his attacks. Nowhere in the Le Soir interview can I find him blaming other people for losing a race.

TRENDING THREADS