• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Giro Di Lombardia 29/09/2012

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Kwibus said:
Quintana is a just an amazing talent. Too bad he suffered from the heat in the first week of the Vuelta else he would've been in the top of the GC of the Vuelta as well.
I was amazed he did so well today. The first time I've seen him race an 260km race and directly among the best. Respect.

According to Ryo it's not impressive at all. Getting 8th is already proof for him a race is too hard for that person. So that must mean Quintana is some talent-less loser. :eek:

From CN.com

Indeed, when Rodriguez launched his race-winning move with a vicious acceleration on the final climb to Villa Vergano with 9km to go, the chase group that formed over the top was initially almost entirely Hispanophone, as Sanchez, Uran, Sergio Henao (Sky), Alberto Contador (Saxo Bank-Tinkoff Bank) and Nairo Quintana (Movistar) led the pursuit behind.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

jens_attacks said:
well done to purito but that wasn't a great race at all. incredible that in this age we didn't have images.send the freaking army for christ's sake, send some planes, throw something into the clouds

very disappointed by the italians,that was some pathetic riding to be honest

Yes disappointing not to see Rodriguez's attack or most of it. Glad he won and also won the UCI points. Podiumed two grand tours, multiple stage wins and won Fleche and Lombardy. He deserved it. Uran is also a much improved rider. Interesting to see if he can convert his ability into a few more wins next year.

What a joke this Plasticador ! Greatest of all time? Him? My a*rse!

He's hardly ever raced classics. Now, circumstances made it possible for him to race Lombardy in some sort of a peak period, few of the top guns were there and most of those who were, crashed and he's not even able to finish the job.

How can you be called a champion if you can't win a classic?

And J-Rod hardly able to break Baldini's record for 22 seconds at the Sormano, with a totally different bike, totally different asphalt and while Baldini was way past his prime in 1962.

MUG ERA!

Oh and how come the Rai always gives its info in English "chasing group", "head of the race", "last kilometre" etc. How much do they care for their own people? :rolleyes:

Echoes said:
What a joke this Plasticador ! Greatest of all time? Him? My a*rse!

He's hardly ever raced classics. Now, circumstances made it possible for him to race Lombardy in some sort of a peak period, few of the top guns were there and most of those who were, crashed and he's not even able to finish the job.

And J-Rod hardly able to break Baldini's record for 22 seconds at the Sormano, with a totally different bike, totally different asphalt and while Baldini was way past his prime in 1962.

MUG ERA!

Oh and how come the Rai always gives its info in English "chasing group", "head of the race", "last kilometre" etc. How much do they care for their own people? :rolleyes:

Dude... Are you for real :D

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
How is none of the guys cameras filming this race wasn't keeping a copy local to the camera? I'd really like to see him pull away from AC and the rest.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Afrank said:
Still I'm not sure just having a bad feeling is reason enough to exit a race, especially when your the top favorite to win it.

And I'm not really picking on him, just wondering what the specific reason for his exit was.
He hit the deck while chasing, and as a result his favourite status evaporated. Add in that it was pishing down with rain and he had 70km including the Ghisallo and Villa Vergano to go it's perfectly reasonable to pack.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Echoes said:
Bit unfair considering the conditions on Saturday, IMO. The bikes may be lighter & the surface smoother, but to expect them to smash records on a day when it was slick like ice is unreasonable.

Were you watching on terrestrial RAI or online?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
On top of Muro di Sormano. Only a small group at the front. Maybe a wasted climb that far out.

200-PIC312238338.jpg

on top of final climb the group was even smaller

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
Very true.What do you think about his next years schedule?
I think he will do Tour and Vuelta,in Tour as superdomestique and Vuelta as protected I hope,but it all depends on Alejandro and Unzue.He should do week stage race as leader - like Costa did in Suisse with Valverdes protection.Maybe Nice,Vasco or something around Classics time where Alejandro is a leader.He has a big chance to win.

he will do tour and vuelta. tour to learn and vuelta to be leader. I guess he will be in europe around march for first time. similar program to this year except now with tour added.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Dude... Are you for real :D

maybe you should be more quiet in this forum unless you want to turn into the joke that is el pistolero. you admitted to following cycling for only 1 year and your incredible hollow and predictable comments are getting tiresome :rolleyes:

Ryo Hazuki said:
maybe you should be more quiet in this forum unless you want to turn into the joke that is el pistolero. you admitted to following cycling for only 1 year and your incredible hollow and predictable comments are getting tiresome :rolleyes:

I've followed cycling for more than 5 years okay.

Okay, if you want me to give a serious reply to that stupid post, I will.

What a joke this Plasticador !

Why Plasticador?

Greatest of all time? Him? My a*rse!

No one says he's the greatest of all time.

Alberto is not the best one day racer out there and no one expected him to win, except maybe you :rolleyes:

As you noted he hardly races classics. If he decides to ride them more often he might win one in the future.

He is a champion because of the way he wins stage races. Not because he's such a great all round rider.

Happy now Ryo?

By the way. I know I'm not the most popular poster on this forum, but I'm quite sure a lot of people would pick me over you any day.

Also, Pisti >>> you

ultimobici said:
Bit unfair considering the conditions on Saturday, IMO. The bikes may be lighter & the surface smoother, but to expect them to smash records on a day when it was slick like ice is unreasonable.

That's right (and the 1962 edition was sunny, I think). But still weren't the conditions of these old days thougher? The old bikes did not allow for low gears, I think.

And you sure know that Baldini was not a pure climber, he was heavyweight and past his prime in 1962. Poor dedication to his sport as well.

I don't say he was a far better rider than J-Rod but not really worse either.

ultimobici said:
Were you watching on terrestrial RAI or online?

I was watching on Sporza, so Eurovision but it's still Rai coverage, isn't it?

In the 90's I definitely recall Italian infos on RTBF or BRTN for Italian races: 'inseguitori', 'testa della corsa', etc. So what happened?

movingtarget said:
I think he means it ! I too was disappointed in Contador's ride. I thought he would have better.

Of course I did. :p Only the classics matter to me. I'm not watching GT's. Contador cannot race 250km a day against a top international field, period. And I mean, this is Lombardy all right, not even Paris-Roubaix.

A champion should have raced such races from the very start of his career on. But he never cared for classics, just like his predecessors. History will forget about him very soon after his career ends, mark my words !

Echoes said:
Of course I did. :p Only the classics matter to me. I'm not watching GT's. Contador cannot race 250km a day against a top international field, period. And I mean, this is Lombardy all right, not even Paris-Roubaix.

A champion should have raced such races from the very start of his career on. But he never cared for classics, just like his predecessors. History will forget about him very soon after his career ends, mark my words !

It's not his fault you only watch classics ;)

But he never cared for classics, just like his predecessors. History will forget about him very soon after his career ends, mark my words !

Just like his predecessors?

TRENDING THREADS