• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Giro d'Italia, May 11th, Stage 6: Urbino - Porto Sant'Elpidio 207km

Today's stage is so boring that we might as well start thinking about tomorrow, where we at last get some kind of hills.

Route Map:

t06_pselpidio_plan_sopr_600.jpg

Profile:

t06_pselpidio_alt_600.jpg

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Cant look past Goss.

If it turns out to be raced at a real high pace I would like to see Meersman v Gasparotto but it looks like Meersman is predominanetly an uphill finisher.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Froome19 said:
Cant look past Goss.

If it turns out to be raced at a real high pace I would like to see Meersman v Gasparotto but it looks like Meersman is predominanetly an uphill finisher.

I'd be very surprised if Goss gets over Montelupone with the leaders. I think there'll be a group of 50-60 in the final.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Meersman was one of the first dropped today.

Oh:eek:
He must be wiped out from his long early season.

Wonder what is happening to Ventoso, does anyone know where he finished?
I predicted him to win here in the fantasy game, but he has barely feautured as yet.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Frosty said:
If its a breakaway then i'll go for Petrov having a day off from Astana duties. If not then Bennati for the bunch sprint.

Better would be Dyachenko to win in a break after his Turkey perfomance.

Froome19 said:
Oh:eek:

Wonder what is happening to Ventoso, does anyone know where he finished?
I predicted him to win here in the fantasy game, but he has barely feautured as yet.

He was in the bunch. Doesn't really seem to be on at the moment, but maybe he just isn't interested in the fast finishes.

The problem with a breakaway is that Liquigas will get on the front tomorrow just to keep Basso safe like they did today, and by default the break will lose most of their time. Once it's reasonably close you will get teams like Farnese and Movistar thinking they can win the stage so they will help. Also it's not unlikely that Garmin want to hold Pink, so Hesjedal can take it on Saturday.

Unless it's big/strong, they will need a head start of ten or fifteen minutes.

How do people think Navardauskas will fare tomorrow? He's got a big engine but can he climb that well? Ive no firm idea but would have thought that if the bunch slims down to about 50 then he might be struggling to be there?

search said:
you do know Montelupone, don't you?

it's far away from the finish, but it's not the question if the sprinters will get dropped but rather how much time they will lose and if they'll be able to come back
They're not climbing the Muro, actually. But the road they're doing is definitely too steep for a sprinter, yes. But the main difficulty will be Montegranaro, not Montelupone.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
search said:
you do know Montelupone, don't you?

it's far away from the finish, but it's not the question if the sprinters will get dropped but rather how much time they will lose and if they'll be able to come back

Well he said that it will be a group of 50 or 60 and i see Goss in the 60 top climbers atm.

Just my opinion but it seems to me he is at the very peak of his form.

Eshnar said:
They're not climbing the Muro, actually. But the road they're doing is definitely too steep for a sprinter, yes. But the main difficulty will be Montegranaro, not Montelupone.

yeah, you are right, the won't do the Muro but that's just the icing on the cake. Montegranaro is a monster and even later on the climb around Casette d'Ete is very steep, that's a great profile in general

Froome19 said:
Well he said that it will be a group of 50 or 60 and i see Goss in the 60 top climbers atm.

Just my opinion but it seems to me he is at the very peak of his form.

I really, really doubt that Goss will survive the cumulative effect of the constant climbing. Plus, some really stiff gradients.

Last Km (including Montegranaro)

TRENDING THREADS