• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Giro d'Italia, May 11th, Stage 6: Urbino - Porto Sant'Elpidio 207km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
theyoungest said:
Who will go full gas on these climbs, so far from the finish? Goss certainly has a chance.
I didn't say he wouldn't, just that I doubt it. Montegranaro is the same distance from the finish as today.

Interesting stuff in the Giro roadbook:

First semi-mountain stage. The only level road segments are to be seen upon finish.
The whole stage features a continuous uphill and downhill route in the middle of the Macerata’s and Fermano’s Apennines valleys, with short and sharp ascents followed by technical descents. The route presents 4 GPM (Cingoli -3a 746 m – km 95.4; Passo della Cappella 2ª m 772 – km 118; Montelupone 3ª m 251 – km 154.7; Montegranaro 3ª m 241 – km 176.5) one of which featuring 4 kilometers of dirt road (Passo della Cappella) with a gradient around 9% and peaks of 15%. The last kilometers run along the Porto Sant’Elpidio hinterland.
After the crossing of Trodica di Morrovalle the race faces the Montegranaro wall featuring an up to 18% gradient on a narrowed roadway. Broad and fast descent up to Casette d’Ete before climbing the Santa Lucia ascent (gradient up to 15%) and re-enter the Adriatica State Road by a technical descent. One more easy to climb ascent up to Corva to re-enter a second time the State Road at 6 km. At 1,800 meters from the finish two more curves interrupted by an underpass lead to the 1,500 meters long and 7.5 meters wide asphalted home stretch.

Certainly whetted my appetite!

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Clearly I'm not the expert, but this stage looked harder to me than most here. Gasparotto seems a good call as opposed to Goss or Bennati but we'll see. Just that the whole stage is solidly hilly - it's not a "broken up on the climb, then back together for the finish" job.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
There are some tough hills in there that could cause some problems if teams put on the pressure. If teams like astana and farnese drill it then it could be a sprint between their riders like gasparotto and pozzato. Otherwise it could be a day for Goss if his team is really strong.

Libertine Seguros said:
Doing Montelupone without the Muro is like doing Torre from Manteigas or just riding up Zonnebloemstraat in Geraardsbergen.

romantic-sunsets-romantic-sunsets-rainy-days-miserable-lonel-demotivational-poster-1218396812.jpg

This is a day for making up time

I can see either a strong break filled with a few riders who lost big time in the ITT making it all the way. (I think of J. Gadret or somebody from FDJ in it). Or I expect J-Rod to use this stage to position himself closer to the top of the GC if he has a chance. Those are the roads he liked and has used well in the past, and although the finish is not made for his style of riding, i can see him being there at the end, if the GC guys have caught the break.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Dedelou said:
I can see either a strong break filled with a few riders who lost big time in the ITT making it all the way. (I think of J. Gadret or somebody from FDJ in it). Or I expect J-Rod to use this stage to position himself closer to the top of the GC if he has a chance. Those are the roads he liked and has used well in the past, and although the finish is not made for his style of riding, i can see him being there at the end, if the GC guys have caught the break.

Rodriguez's sprint when it comes to flat is about as impressive as Ferrari's

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
dont think Garmin is strong enough to defend the jersey tomorrow. Guessing a big breakaway to succeed and Rubiano to win from the breakaway. Maybe some GC outsiders could get an advantage

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
A lot depends on how it is raced. If the break stays can see someone like degent taking it, if a reduced bunch sprint, maybe visconti. Cant see any sprinters being there at the finish. Would have had this as a hushovd stage normally but doesnt seem in shape.

This will really come down to who is willing to push hard and make it difficult. If nobody does then somebody like Goss has a good chance, and the team will be going hard for it as it is there only chance to get a look at the pink jersey. Apparently it was a stage he tagged in his race manual at the start of the race to target.

With a much harder stage tomorrow I don't see any of the big favourites wanting to hit out alone and use too much energy. It isn't hard enough to come down to a really select group so it is more likely only dropping those really off climbing form and really sapping the sprint out of the pure sprinters who get over in the group.

As always riders make the race and it is going to depend on team tactics and if anybody cares enough to chase down a strong break away (If one gets established)

TRENDING THREADS