• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Giro d'Italia, May 11th, Stage 6: Urbino - Porto Sant'Elpidio 207km

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Hitch said:
Haven't read the thread. Whats the pattern?
Blablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablabla f.ck Cavendish.

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Well.. that was one boring stage. Would have been a perfect opportunity for Pozzato, Ballan, Flecha, Visconti if they only could have limited the gap i little before the last climbs. BMC, Movistar and Farnese won't get to many chances like today for a stage win.

Farrar has an injury. What happened to Thor though? I can't believe he couldn't finish this stage. Last year at the TdF he was finding ways to take stages that few people thought a sprinter could take by powering over hills, adjusting to the fact that he can't sprint with the likes of a Cavendish or Farrar anymore. Is he hurt or ill? I've not found any information on it.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
On the plus side, my day wasn't half as bad as @MarkCavendish, Bernie and Jez's. Who were doing some TTT training for 120km. Respect!!

Great Thomas :p

El Pistolero said:
Cancellara was sick and Gilbert was laughing all the way because he knew he would be put back in the race. If the time limit was actually ever enforced on a big name he wouldn't have missed it. But these riders know they can miss the time limit as long as they're in a big group.

Ok, so say Gilbert and Cancellara did try.

Theyd still finish a good 20 minutes behind the best.

So why is it ok for Gilbert to be massively behind guys, but not for Cav?

El Pistolero said:
Every rider thinks like that because they know how to evade the time cut. Your little friend Mark Cavendish uses this trick a lot more than Gilbert, trust me. ;)

Oh so its ok to do it x number of times. But it becomes bad when it is done y number of times.

Got it.

(where x is number of times a belgian does something and y is number of times a Brit does it)

El Pistolero said:
Cancellara was sick and Gilbert was laughing all the way because he knew he would be put back in the race. If the time limit was actually ever enforced on a big name he wouldn't have missed it. But these riders know they can miss the time limit as long as they're in a big group.

El Pistolero said:
Every rider thinks like that because they know how to evade the time cut. Your little friend Mark Cavendish uses this trick a lot more than Gilbert, trust me. ;)

Oh so its ok to do it x number of times. But it becomes bad when it is done y number of times.

Got it.

(where x is number of times a belgian does something and y is number of times a Brit does it)
Red Rick said:
I hope Cav wins the ORR, just to see pisti's reaction. Too bad i'm on vacation than, but if cav wins, i'll dig them all up:D

Amen brother.

[
also AG2R since they have lots of time to regain...but they're just embarassing.[/QUOTE]

yes, indeed AGR2 really dissapointing today. I was hoping they would at least put somebody in the break or try to bridge

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

Got it.

Amen brother.

You and your selective quotes. I said I would've thrown everyone, including Phil, out of the race for missing the time cut. That way they'll try and make it instead of just sitting in the Gruppeto. Besides, I didn't even say anything about a world champion that must be able to climb. Dekker_DT said that. Oh and this was a hilly stage, not a mountain stage. ;)

I don't care for the Olympics nor do I care for who wins. If it was exciting and Cav wins, so be it. Thing is, most of the races Cav wins are ****ing boring as hell and that's why I complain. I don't think it's good advertisement for the sport when soon millions of people will be watching the most boring race ever. No wonder most people don't give a **** for cycling when they see crap like the world championships in 2011. It's not about Cavendish, it never was. It's about boring races. Sorry for wanting an enjoyable sport to watch instead of the crap we get served these days way too often.

Cav showing his climbing prowess...

577551037.jpg

:eek:

I sort of feel bad for Pozzato who effectively had no team to help him, but he still could have done more to help himself than a half-hearted acceleration on a descent. If he had attacked on one of the climbs, maybe enough people would have gone with him to create a split in the peloton in which some GC contenders were left behind. Then some teams would have been willing to work at the front and the break might have been caught. Not necessarily a likely scenario, but not completely far-fetched, either.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
patrick767 said:
Farrar has an injury. What happened to Thor though? I can't believe he couldn't finish this stage. Last year at the TdF he was finding ways to take stages that few people thought a sprinter could take by powering over hills, adjusting to the fact that he can't sprint with the likes of a Cavendish or Farrar anymore. Is he hurt or ill? I've not found any information on it.

Interesting Norwegian newspaper article

http://www.vg.no/sport/sykkel/artikkel.php?artid=10053245

Normandy said:

Thanks for finding that. The google translation to English is very choppy as expected, but I get the gist of it. Thor basically says something is wrong with him, but he doesn't know what. One section has a poor translation, but I think it's saying that prior to the Giro stage 6 was considered a possible target for him. That wouldn't have sounded out of the question given how he won at the TdF last year.

To summarize, the rider himself knows little more than anyone else about what went wrong.

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
patrick767 said:
Thanks for finding that. The google translation to English is very choppy as expected, but I get the gist of it. Thor basically says something is wrong with him, but he doesn't know what. One section has a poor translation, but I think it's saying that prior to the Giro stage 6 was considered a possible target for him. That wouldn't have sounded out of the question given how he won at the TdF last year.

To summarize, the rider himself knows little more than anyone else about what went wrong.

Basically, that sums it up.

Why does so many b*tch about Cæv in this tread? There were a lot of riders/teams who should have taken this opportunity to go for a stage win. Cæv was not one of them. And Garmin... they were in some kind of dilemma? If they had gone to the front and pulled with the pink jersey slipping out the back, they would still have secured the jersey for another day with Hesjedal.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Steinar said:

Why does so many b*tch about Cæv in this tread? There were a lot of riders/teams who should have taken this opportunity to go for a stage win. Cæv was not one of them. And Garmin... they were in some kind of dilemma? If they had gone to the front and pulled with the pink jersey slipping out the back, they would still have secured the jersey for another day with Hesjedal.

Hesjedal will get the pink tomorrow anyway. As for Cav - I guess it's

a - He's the current world champ
b - has no problem getting over some hills when has a chance to win
c - finished behind Andrea Guardini today

In general - the way he rides these stages. Compare that to Andre Greipel for example

Steinar said:

You are new here. You will very quickly realise that certain posters will hijack every thread so it turns into one or two people *****ing about Cav for whatever reason they can think of.

TRENDING THREADS