• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Grand Prix Cycliste de Quebec/Montreal

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Depends on how the race pans out. If it's as hard as last year, EBH doesn't stand a chance, and Nordhaug does.

Doesn't stand a chance? Strong statement, EBH is probably in decent shape considering he recently won a fairly hard GP Ouest France Plouay

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Parrulo said:
it wasn't that hard, the last climb was too short and not that hard and was 6k from the finishing line.

I wrote "fairly hard". It was 243k and quiet high pace, no breaks were aloud to go. I saw it as a good sign for EBH to win a race such as this.

Sure, the Quest France - Plouay circut is less intense then the Quebec one. EBH was 3rd in Quebec in 2010 and Sky will of course ride for EBH today, not Nordhaug. I see it as obvious that EBH is bigger favorite than Nordhaug to win today. Btw, not sure Nordhaug will fare better than EBH even if it the circuit will be hard raced.

Falken said:
Doesn't stand a chance? Strong statement, EBH is probably in decent shape considering he recently won a fairly hard GP Ouest France Plouay
Within the peloton, the new course was perceived as too easy and too boring. That wasn't a hard race.

In Quebec, the top-3 last year was Gilbert-Gesink-Uran. EBH can't mix it with that type of riders.

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Within the peloton, the new course was perceived as too easy and too boring. That wasn't a hard race.

Please, it was still 243k. That the new course was easier doesn't mean that the race wasn't hard at all.

In Quebec, the top-3 last year was Gilbert-Gesink-Uran. EBH can't mix it with that type of riders.

But Nordhaug can? My initial post was about EBH having a better chance than Nordhaug of winning on the Quebec circuit, and that the Montreal circuit probably suit Nordhaug better than the Quebec circuit.

Let's just have a look at the both circuits:

Grand Prix Cycliste de Quebec details
Distance: 201.6km
Climbing Altitude: 2976m (186m on each lap)

elite_men_profile_600.png

Grand Prix Cycliste de Montreal details
Distance: 205.7km
Altitude difference: 3893m (217m each lap)

elite_men_profile_1_600.png

Over 900m in altitude difference in favour of the Montreal circut.

Falken said:
Please, it was still 243k. That the new course was easier doesn't mean that the race wasn't hard at all.
It wasn't. Just look at the huge peloton that came to the line together.

But Nordhaug can? My initial post was about EBH having a better chance than Nordhaug of winning on the Quebec circuit, and that the Montreal circuit probably suit Nordhaug better than the Quebec circuit.
I don't agree. Yes, EBH got 2nd here 2 years ago, but like I said, if the race is as hard as last year, he won't repeat that result. Whereas in Montreal the likeliness of a solo win like Gesink's getting repeated is close to zero, and then it's a semi-bunch sprint.

The total altitude difference isn't important, it's the fact that in Montreal there's a long, steady climb (good for time trialist type climbers like EBH) and in Quebec they're all short and steep (good for hilly riders like Nordhaug).

theyoungest said:

He did just that in Quebec 2010, which was won by Voeckler ahead of EBH, Gesink and Hesjedal. Then in Montreal he was keeping up with everyone (apart from Gesink) in the hills and even followed attacks by Samuel Sanchez uphill.

He's a much better climber now and is reportedly in great shape.

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
It wasn't. Just look at the huge peloton that came to the line together.

I don't agree. Yes, EBH got 2nd here 2 years ago, but like I said, if the race is as hard as last year, he won't repeat that result. Whereas in Montreal the likeliness of a solo win like Gesink's getting repeated is close to zero, and then it's a semi-bunch sprint.

The total altitude difference isn't important, it's the fact that in Montreal there's a long, steady climb (good for time trialist type climbers like EBH) and in Quebec they're all short and steep (good for hilly riders like Nordhaug).

Quiet funny to read your post. You are certain of a lot of things aren't you?

You say that EBH won't stand a chance if the race is hard.
You say that a Gesink like win is close to zero. (It's 10k to the finish after a tough 1.8k climb. Yep, possibility close to zero...)
Long steady climbs suit EBH (He can do more you know: 3rd i Quebec 2010, won Gent-Wevelgem.). Short and steep climbs suit Nordhaug (Longer climbs not Nordhaugs forte also?).

I guess we just differ in opinion. Regarding the competition I see Nordhaug's chance of winning is better on the Montreal circuit, the 1.8k climb is a good place for Nordhaug to try to drop some more punchy riders.

Let's see what will happen.

Falken said:
I guess we just differ in opinion. Regarding the competition I see Nordhaug's chance of winning is better on the Montreal circuit, the 1.8k climb is a good place for Nordhaug to try to drop some more punchy riders.
All you need to do is watch the stream link I posted below and watch a lap, and you, most likely, will change your opinion. :)

maltiv said:
He did just that in Quebec 2010
No, he didn't. He only featured when everything came back together. And like I said, if it's as hard as last year, he won't be there. I mean, you noticed the difference between the GP Quebec in 2010 and 2011, didn't you?

Then in Montreal he was keeping up with everyone (apart from Gesink) in the hills and even followed attacks by Samuel Sanchez uphill.
That's why I say that climb suits him more. Not as explosive, just long and steady. EBH can grind his way up a climb, he's not a natural hills rider.

cineteq said:

Thank you, much appreciated.

I'm bored so here are my favourites rated for tonight:

***** Costa
**** Sagan, Voeckler
*** Hesjedal, Gerrans, LLS
** EBH, Van Avermaet, Martens, Kolobnev
* Chavanel, Iglinskiy, Bole, Fedrigo, Nordhaug

I always get these totally wrong so if you're a gambler then bet on a rider I haven't mentioned. :)

theyoungest said:
No, he didn't. He only featured when everything came back together. And like I said, if it's as hard as last year, he won't be there. I mean, you noticed the difference between the GP Quebec in 2010 and 2011, didn't you?
You said, based on the top 3 names, that he couldn't mix in with such guys. I just said that's what he did in 2010.

Let's not overrate the toughness of the race last year...I mean, Gerald Ciolek was 9th :rolleyes:

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Sagan says the course suits him well, but he is a bit unsure of his form.

Sagan admitted that he felt uncertain of his form at the end of what has been a breakthrough season for him. "The course suits me, but it will depend on how I feel," the 22 year-old Slovak told La Presse.

"It has been difficult to keep my form after the Tour de France. I had a short break but then I trained well. My form is on the rise, but it will only be at the Worlds that I'll be at the top."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sagan-and-boasson-hagen-favourites-for-gp-quebec

Interesting to see what he can do today. Gilbert sent a message with his win in the Vuelta today: I'm ready for the Worlds.