• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Montepaschi Strade Bianche

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
canyonball said:
If they rode an intelligent race like you defend, they were definately outsmarted by Radioshack. Van Avermaet had to do a bunch of work to get Bennati back. Ballan was strong, but the truth is he was spending more energy than he should since that first attack with 50 km to go (all while Cancellara was following wheels).

It's not their fault what happened after Cancellara got the gap. Canc he's a beast period. But It's my opinion they weren't that smart when managing the race. I mean, they brought a "fresh" Cancellara along untill the last sterrato...

So did all the other teams, derp. In retrospect, GVA should have reacted to Bennati's attack, but that's captain Hindsight speaking. They did an OK race in my opinion. GVA wasted a bit too much energy for my liking, I hope he learns to control that some day.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
So did all the other teams, derp.

The other teams didn't have BMC line-up. That's why were having this discussion in the first place, derp.

Edit: I see you added something. What you said is partly my point, thank you.

Kvinto said:
Poor tactics? :confused: may i ask about this poorness? why do you think their tactics was poor? They rode an intelligent race, and lost to machine-like Cancellara.

GVA was clearly the 2nd strongest in the race; 20kms out he looked the strongest. He did too much work for Ballan who should know his way around this course.:eek:
Ultimately, finishing 4th and 5th from a group of 6 is quite some fail.
BMC have so many chiefs, seems their biggest headache seems to be picking the right indians for the day.
As yet, they haven't got it right and as a result remain a win free zone.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Great Performance

Canc' was obviously in tip top form to rip out such a gap over 5 strong chasers. Maybe, and it's a maybe, the other favourites weren't quite so far in their conditioning? By mid April we'll know the answer................;)

Mellow Velo said:
GVA was clearly the 2nd strongest in the race; 20kms out he looked the strongest. He did too much work for Ballan who should know his way around this course.:eek:
BMC have so many chiefs, seems their biggest headache seems to be picking the right indians for the day.
The biggest fail was the strategy, and perhaps failing to assess who was the right man for the day.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:

They have problems with indians, i agree. But lets not confuse brilliant tactics of one team with poor tactics of other team. There were two of them in the decisive move, Ballan and GVA, and to be honest they were equally strong in my view. RadioShack managed to put Bennati into attack. Brilliant. But did only BMC chase? Didn't Astana sacrifice Gasparotto in order to bring Oss and Bennati back? Maybe Ballan and GVA were too self-confident, maybe being a bit more defensive they could have won but as far as i don't like BMC i refuse to label it as poor tactics.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Disagree, what do you do with only Hushovd and Farrar in the group when BMC have 7 guys chasing? You sit in. No-one on this forum would have had any issue with Garmin that day, except that we heard Vaughters tell Tyler and Thor to sit in over the radio.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
will10 said:
Disagree, what do you do with only Hushovd and Farrar in the group when BMC have 7 guys chasing? You sit in. No-one on this forum would have had any issue with Garmin that day, except that we heard Vaughters tell Tyler and Thor to sit in over the radio.

you're right, if Vaughters didn't tell that in the race radio, we would never get to know that their tactics was poor ;)

Kvinto said:
you're right, if Vaughters didn't tell that in the race radio, we would never get to know that their tactics was poor ;)
They had 3 guys in the lead group. Farrar, Haussler and Hushovd. Vaugthers told them to do nothing. 5 minutes later, Hushovd and Haussler were dropped - despite doing nothing! So what do you think they should have done? Sent Farrar to the front to make sure Hushovd and Haussler were dropped even earlier? :rolleyes:

mewmewmew13 said:
FABS is back!
It looked to me on the podium like he was looking "defiant" and a bit of an uber-cool 'watch out' vibe....

maybe that's just me projecting but I think he has been pi**ed. :D

It's been mentioned earlier on this thread. He recently lost his uncle. So I don't think he felt like cheering on the podium. ;)

TRENDING THREADS