• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Predictions

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Phil will not win Ronde, nor will he focus on it.

I have a query does anyone know if Hushovd after his cobbled campaign, might do the Giro. He could stage-hunt/ sprint on any harder finishes. He'll go missing otherwise up until the TDF ( after P-R ) so he might as well do the Giro before the TDF ( if only so he could get some publicity )

greenedge said:
Phil will not win Ronde, nor will he focus on it

where did you read that?phil said he wants to win in 2012 everything that is not in his palmares yet.and yes he will peak for ronde and san remo

“My objectives for 2012 are based particularly on the races that I haven’t yet won. I’m thinking about Milan-Sanremo, the Tour of Flanders and the world championships.”

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...le-sets-out-goals-for-2012.aspx#ixzz1g4iL2T7x

he will slaughter everyone in ronde,i already can see it.also ballan will be uber strong.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
greenedge said:
Phil will not win Ronde, nor will he focus on it.

I have a query does anyone know if Hushovd after his cobbled campaign, might do the Giro. He could stage-hunt/ sprint on any harder finishes. He'll go missing otherwise up until the TDF ( after P-R ) so he might as well do the Giro before the TDF ( if only so he could get some publicity )

Indeed, Phil will not win the Ronde. The Ronde will win Phil.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Cancellara on top form might be able to challenge Phil on that hill, or at least come close enough to catch him back on the descent and flat.

Ballan+ Gilbert > Cancellara

If these 2 can get away after the final hill, Cancellara will struggle to come back.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Why would Ballan get away from Cancellara?

Because the new hills in the final suit him a lot. He's one of the strongest on these type of cobbled hills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdzpAcKZm70

BMC can send GVA and Hincapie in an early break and Leotard do all the chasing(QS will try to send Chavanel again, or someone else in an early break). Cancellara will be isolated very quickly and waste energy trying to chase them back. The moment they're chased back the real favorites will show their cards and most likely kill off Cancellara. His team is just too weak to battle against the super teams of QS and BMC.

If Ballan and Gilbert would have worked together after the Bosberg, they would have made it to the finish as the group behind them was splintered and only regrouped a few km later. Now they're in the same team :)

El Pistolero said:
Because the new hills in the final suit him a lot. He's one of the strongest on these type of cobbled hills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdzpAcKZm70

I knew you were going to bring up that hill.

But Cancellara, in case you missed it, had been doing a tt for 30km and had just cracked totally.

Ballan is 1 of the strongest on that type of hill but Cancellara is together with Phil the strongest.

If Canc brings his 2011 RVV form, and they go into that hill together, I don't see Ballan playing any part.

The Hitch said:

But Cancellara, in case you missed it, had been doing a tt for 30km and had just cracked totally.

Ballan is 1 of the strongest on that type of hill but Cancellara is together with Phil the strongest.

If Canc brings his 2011 RVV form, and they go into that hill together, I don't see Ballan playing any part.

aren't you also forgetting boonen? :p

on that type of cobbled hills gilbert, boonen and canc are the strongest hands down, ballan is a level below.

btw the bosberg this year isn't a great example as canc had cracked completely just a couple k before

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

I edited my post somewhat to explain how these 2 could get away. Cancellara will crack next year as well if they play it right. His team is even weaker now and BMC and QS even stronger.

And let's not forget Gilbert wasn't in top shape at the Ronde van Vlaanderen. His main goals next season are "races I haven't won yet".

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:

on that type of cobbled hills gilbert, boonen and canc are the strongest hands down, ballan is a level below.

btw the bosberg this year isn't a great example as canc had cracked completely just a couple k before

I could use other years as example as well. He only dominated in 2010 really.

But I believe Cancellara will crack again if the other teams play it right. He doesn't have one domestique in his team. If Cancellara had domestiques like Hincapie, Thor Hushovd, GVA and Ballan he'd have the Ronde van Vlaanderen in his bag already. But he doesn't :)

Parrulo said:

I think Canc is the best and maybe Gilbert, based on what he might be like if he brought FW form to RVV.

El Pistolero said:

And 2011.

El Pistolero said:

But I believe Cancellara will crack again if the other teams play it right. He doesn't have one domestique in his team. If Cancellara had domestiques like Hincapie, Thor Hushovd, GVA and Ballan he'd have the Ronde van Vlaanderen in his bag already. But he doesn't :)

yes it is true that he only truly dominated for the past 2 years that's why i still think an healthy boonen (as in a boonen with 2 knees and not only 1 like he had for the past few of seasons)is better then canc. but i don't think canc will make the mistake he made last year, imo he should watch the bmc vs OPQS battle from the shadows(they seem to be by far the 2 strongest teams for the cobbles) and try to put his move near the end on the last couple of hills where there won't be any domestiques to help with the chase.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
yes it is true that he only truly dominated for the past 2 years that's why i still think an healthy boonen (as in a boonen with 2 knees and not only 1 like he had for the past few of seasons)is better then canc. but i don't think canc will make the mistake he made last year, imo he should watch the bmc vs OPQS battle from the shadows(they seem to be by far the 2 strongest teams for the cobbles) and try to put his move near the end on the last couple of hills where there won't be any domestiques to help with the chase.

I don't think Cancellara will be able to hide his shape till the Ronde van Vlaanderen though. If he shows the same form as in 2010 and 2011 everybody will ride against him yet again.

El Pistolero said:
I don't think Cancellara will be able to hide his shape till the Ronde van Vlaanderen though. If he shows the same form as in 2010 and 2011 everybody will ride against him yet again.

but how can they ride against him if he is just sitting on their wheel? its easier said then done, we all know gilbert won't let any1 on his team other then himself win the ronde so all canc has to do is sit there till the time is right. OPQS with boonen and chavannel have much better chances to pull the man up the road tactic on canc then bmc with gilbert have simply because of the rider's mentality, i mean after all boonen alreagy gave 2 rondes to a team mate a third wouldn't make much difference ;)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I think Canc is the best and maybe Gilbert, based on what he might be like if he brought FW form to RVV.

And 2011.

I believe Sylvain Chavanel was the strongest at the Ronde that day, especially if we can believe his post-race interviews(e.g. Cancellara was going slow the whole time).

At Roubaix, Hushovd was also as strong as Cancellara. He only let him go in the final, but that was because he wasn't paying much attention anymore(and he admitted that in post-race interviews). Dominating for me means to be the best with no one being able to match you.

El Pistolero said:
I believe Sylvain Chavanel was the strongest at the Ronde that day, especially if we can believe his post-race interviews(e.g. Cancellara was going slow the whole time).

At Roubaix, Hushovd was also as strong as Cancellara. He only let him go in the final, but that was because he wasn't paying much attention anymore(and he admitted that in post-race interviews). Dominating for me means to be the best with no one being able to match you.
Come on Hushovd wasn't as strong as Cancellara otherwise he would have followed him.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
but how can they ride against him if he is just sitting on their wheel? its easier said then done, we all know gilbert won't let any1 on his team other then himself win the ronde so all canc has to do is sit there till the time is right. OPQS with boonen and chavannel have much better chances to pull the man up the road tactic on canc then bmc with gilbert have simply because of the rider's mentality, i mean after all boonen alreagy gave 2 rondes to a team mate a third wouldn't make much difference ;)

Trust me they will ride against him. Just look at some of Gilbert's interviews before the Ronde. "Ik heb een geheim wapen. Laat mijn goede vriend Pozzato nu maar achter Cancellara rijden." ==> I have a secret weapon. Let my good friend Pozzato ride after Cancellara now.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
trevim said:
Come on Hushovd wasn't as strong as Cancellara otherwise he would have followed him.

It's debatable, I admit. But Hushovd matched Cancellara on every important cobbled stone sector. Cancellara pulled off a surprise attack in the last few km just like how he surprised everyone at the Ronde with that last attack.

El Pistolero said:
It's debatable, I admit. But Hushovd matched Cancellara on every important cobbled stone sector. Cancellara pulled off a surprise attack in the last few km just like how he surprised everyone at the Ronde with that last attack.
That's true, Hushovd really looked mighty strong in some cobbles sectors. He even forced a bit of selection. But he lacked a bit in the final km

TRENDING THREADS