• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Road World Championships, Mens Road Race Maastricht - Valkenburg 267 km 23/09/12

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 17, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Did you come to the World Championships in Melbourne?

No - unfortunately we didn't. Typically - the one year we miss out, we end up winning...

So far we hav only travelled in Europe. We're talking about Richmond - but we'll have to wait and see.

In 2014 we're planning on riding our bikes down to Ponferrada from Norway - should be an epic trip :)

Seems the road leading up to my house is pretty much identical to the Cauberg !;)
kc.jpg

Gilbert looks hard to beat on paper but maybe he'll regret showing as much at the Vuelta as he did. Now nobody is going to ride with him. Not that it makes it impossible - just more difficult. No Schlecks here to lead him out either - instead he'll just have Gerrans and Sagan glued to his wheel while the Spanish and Italians keep firing riders off the front

I'll be interested to see how the Belgians play it. They've got quite an attacking team. Someone like Van Avermaet could be a winner if he gets in the right group and everyone is watching Gilbert - similar to what happened at Varese

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
jrolaf said:
I'm going, along with 10 other Scandinavians. We go to the worlds every year. It's by far the best race to watch - beats the Tour by a mile.

Look out for Team Fernet on the Cauberg. Hopefully the Belgians are doing the "Villa Belgica" this year as well. It was brilliant last year in Copenhagen.

Same here. A group of us go every year. Been to every worlds since 2002 (except Canada and Melbourne). How dare they be held out of Europe ;)

Awesome end of summer **** up.:)

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Valverde & Purito are not on vuelto form anymore, Contador will give his last bit tomorrow. Freire will wait for the sprint, which won't come.
Sagan has no team nor form.
Gilbert will just watch the Spanish Armada.

Ergo: Boonen for world Champion!

May 17, 2009
Visit site
Andy99 said:
Same here. A group of us go every year. Been to every worlds since 2002 (except Canada and Melbourne). How dare they be held out of Europe ;)

Awesome end of summer **** up.:)

Look for us on the Cauberg mate! You've seen the jersey, we'll be wearing that all weekend. Stop by for a drink, we're always generous with the Fernet...it's made for shearing you know :)

May 17, 2009
Visit site
SafeBet said:
I hope for you they sort this out but I heard Ponferrada is doubtful for political reasons.

I'll be glad to catch up with you guys next year in Firenze though :D

I think Ponferrada will work out - these things normally do. Hey, they even managed to stage the Olympics in Athens....

You're welcome to join us in Firenze. Hotel is already booked, but there is always room for more Tifosi :)

jrolaf said:
I think Ponferrada will work out - these things normally do. Hey, they even managed to stage the Olympics in Athens....

You're welcome to join us in Firenze. Hotel is already booked, but there is always room for more Tifosi :)

:eek:

You already booked the hotel for next year???

Anyway it should be a one day trip for me ;)

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I think if he can have his pre Tour form going, Sagan won't be beaten.

Gilbert won't be allowed to get away, and heads up in a sprint, he won't beat Sagan or Boonen.

Can't wait for the action to unfold!

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Old School said:
I think if he can have his pre Tour form going, Sagan won't be beaten.

Gilbert won't be allowed to get away, and heads up in a sprint, he won't beat Sagan or Boonen.

Can't wait for the action to unfold!

Sagan in pre-Tour form got beaten by Gasparotto. :confused:

And dropped quite horribly on the Oude Kwaremont when Pippo attacked. Sadly he can't be here, but he would definitely have been a favorite alongside Ballan.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Sagan in pre-Tour form got beaten by Gasparotto. :confused:

And dropped quite horribly on the Oude Kwaremont when Pippo attacked. Sadly he can't be here, but he would definitely have been a favorite alongside Ballan.

yah, sagans first ever agr. I've never seen a rider do podium in their first agr. that race is too hard

TRENDING THREADS