• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Road World Championships, Mens Road Race Maastricht - Valkenburg 267 km 23/09/12

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
LaFlorecita said:
I have an idea :D Why don't we have a WC that consists out of a time trial, a flat stage, a mtf and a hilly stage (and a ttt if you like :rolleyes:) and for every discipline there is a winner And the overall winner is the stage race champion, that would be a fair WC, the best riders become WC :D
Hello Criterium International :eek:

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I have an idea :D Why don't we have a WC that consists out of a time trial, a flat stage, a mtf and a hilly stage (and a ttt if you like :rolleyes:) and for every discipline there is a winner And the overall winner is the stage race champion, that would be a fair WC, the best riders become WC :D

Have you ever watched track cycling? You might enjoy it more :eek:

hrotha said:
´Since you ask, I thought Cauberg was too close to the finish line. Already in 1998 I got the impression that the circuit was too easy, but that year there was awful weather so things turned out fine.

That is everything you need to now. Gilbert shines in these kind conditions like the likes of Rujano, Henao, Uran et. al would have done in theirs. The only difference is that the latter couldnt show this. Due to some kind of allergy of putting a climb over 200 meters during the World cup road race.

Back from Valkenburg. I have to say I'd forgotten how gorgeous Dutch girls are, and how good the fries taste.

As to the race, very predictable. As expected, the course was quite disappointing. Congrats to Gilbert though, the man surely deserves to wear the stripes.

Are there any true all round riders though ?

Races will always going to suit some riders more than others: At the moment I would say.

Pancake flat: Cav
Medium hills (Like today): Gilbert
Walls: Purito
Grand Tour: Contador

Probably the one rider you might bet on a top 5 for all those is Valverde so perhaps he is closest to an all round rider ? But always seems to be someone a bit better than Valverde whatever the race type may be !

Pulpstar said:

Races will always going to suit some riders more than others: At the moment I would say.

Probably the one rider you might bet on a top 5 for all those is Valverde so perhaps he is closest to an all round rider ? But always seems to be someone a bit better than Valverde whatever the race type may be !

Valverde is definitely the guy who can do pretty much anything other than TT.

No_Balls said:
That is everything you need to now. Gilbert shines in these kind conditions like the likes of Rujano, Henao, Uran et. al would have done in theirs. The only difference is that the latter couldnt show this. Due to some kind of allergy of putting a climb over 200 meters during the World cup road race.
Again, Gilbert is a contender in almost every type of one-day race.

Pulpstar said:

Valverde's the nearest to one we have.

He should have been the leader of the Spanish team, but it would have been irrelevant because nothing would have changed, only that there would have been less bickering about who should have done what afterwards.

Panda Claws said:
That is not really based on anything. There is no reason to believe Valverde would have stayed on a wheel Boasson Hagen and Kolobnev could not hold.

Your first sentence has a point, it is obviously subjective speculation on my part.

Your second sentence left me speechless though. Are you seriously saying Hagen and Kolobnev are on Valverde's level when it comes to uphill accelerations?

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Well i enjoyed todays racing. Congats to Gilbert (is there anyone faster up a short climb?), thought the Belgium's had blew there chance with all the chashing they were forced to do but they still had 4 riders half way up the final climb i also thought Sagan was going to win with 4 laps left, but what do i know. For me EBH and Valverde wouldnt of caught him even if they had worked together but still a good result for the two.
As for GB i think Cav has done honour to the rainbow jersey in the last 12 month and even today with no chance of winning his attitude was great, trying to chase escapee's down or setting tempo on the front, about 100k he was at the front for. Wiggo and Froome wasnt quite sure what they were there for all though Froome has just finished a grueling GT. Wiggo basicly soft pedaled at the back and then climbed off from what i saw. Cummings did o.k, surprised swift went as far as he got but im really happy with the younger members of the team Rowe was up there until the last few Km, Stannard is a beast and on todays viewings the lads got a good future and JTL first apperance with the elite pelton really did a exellent job and can be proud of the company he finished with, i think theres a a few stage wins in GT in his legs

Descender said:
Your first sentence has a point, it is obviously subjective speculation on my part.

Your second sentence left me speechless though. Are you seriously saying Hagen and Kolobnev are on Valverde's level when it comes to uphill accelerations?

Today they certainly were. But that is of course just hindsight, my bad. Normally they would not indeed.

TRENDING THREADS