2012 Road World Championships, Mens Road Race Maastricht - Valkenburg 267 km 23/09/12

Page 46 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
hrotha said:
"Pure" climbers, if that means riders who can only climb and have absolutely no other strong points, shouldn't be world champions. Just like "pure" sprinters or "pure" one-trick poneys. We discussed this extensively last year and I don't feel like getting there again.

Of course, Contador is not a pure climber in that sense, so if he plays his cards right (and, may I say it, if he rode more classics to learn) he'd have his chances.

As for the race, meh, it was disappointing. It was going well until the break was caught and then everybody was happy with the things were going even though it basically meant an in-form Gilbert would be unbeatable. Maybe they were hoping he would be at or below his Vuelta level. Regardless, meh. Predictable.
Yeah. Because guys like Gilbert, who usually wins this kind of things, are generally known for their astonishing time-trialing, bunch sprints from hell, climbing like an eagle and are everyday contenders for the GT-overall. Seriously, "One-trick poneys not allowed to win" is perhaps the most absurd thing i have read here. Specially since the parcours offered allows another type of "one-trick poneys" to shine.

Funny also, that you are not whining like you did during the Vuelta. Everything ok now?
 
hfer07 said:
I just don't quite get why Freire is whining about-damn- shameful way to retire:mad:
He's mad at having to retire:D

Seriously though, the guy was 10th. So he was in good shape.

He's complaining that the Spanish team didn't race the finale as agreed, but I'm not sure Valverde could have brought Gilbert back.
 
No_Balls said:
Yeah. Because guys like Gilbert, who usually wins this kind of things, are generally known for their astonishing time-trialing, bunch sprints from hell, climbing like an eagle and are everyday contenders for the GT-overall. Seriously, "One-trick poneys not allowed to win" is perhaps the most absurd thing i have read here. Specially since the parcours offered allows another type of "one-trick poneys" to shine.

Funny also, that you are not whining like you did during the Vuelta. Everything ok now?
Gilbert, a one-trick poney? That must be the reason why he's a contender at MSR, RvV, the Ardenes, Paris-Tours, Lombardia and basically every type of one-day race except for Roubaix and the ones that are completely flat.

Since you ask, I thought Cauberg was too close to the finish line. Already in 1998 I got the impression that the circuit was too easy, but that year there was awful weather so things turned out fine.
 
hrotha said:
"Pure" climbers, if that means riders who can only climb and have absolutely no other strong points, shouldn't be world champions. Just like "pure" sprinters or "pure" one-trick poneys. We discussed this extensively last year and I don't feel like getting there again.

Of course, Contador is not a pure climber in that sense, so if he plays his cards right (and, may I say it, if he rode more classics to learn) he'd have his chances.

As for the race, meh, it was disappointing. It was going well until the break was caught and then everybody was happy with the things were going even though it basically meant an in-form Gilbert would be unbeatable. Maybe they were hoping he would be at or below his Vuelta level. Regardless, meh. Predictable.
Why? It's not like Cavendish can climb and tt and Gilbert can sprint and tt. Why would a climber that can't sprint or tt not be a deserving WC?
 
the asian said:
Then he has to improve.
You can't prepare tailor made courses to suit one rider.
They might try their best in Ponferrada 2014 if it goes through.

It's almost impossible to have a circuit race with a long high mountain climb which reaches altitude of 2000+

Colombia is the only place I can think of and they had their Worlds' in 1995.

May be Contador should have been born a generation earlier.
You do realize I'm not talking about Alberto but about pure climbers (my favorite type of rider) in general..?
 
goggalor said:
But then they aren't World Champ material then, are they? IMO a good worlds course is one where there are many potential winners with different characteristics. A pure climbing WC would be boring.
Why? There would still be a lot of potential winners. The best climbers are pretty close and the ones that are a bit less could win from a break.
 
May 12, 2010
1,998
0
0
Who are those pure climbers that can't ride well in a classic anyway. Sastre? Maybe Piepoli as well. Any current climbers that wouldn't have a chance in a hard one-day race? It seems to be an extremely small niche.
 
Lanark said:
Who are those pure climbers that can't ride well in a classic anyway. Sastre? Maybe Piepoli as well. Any current climbers that wouldn't have a chance in a hard one-day race? It seems to be an extremely small niche.
Can't think of any among the current crop . Even Basso has a podium in LBL and has won Emilia.
 
Aug 16, 2011
10,821
0
0
the asian said:
It will not be close when you do 10 laps of the circuit.

Less than 20 riders finished the race in 1995.
That just makes the winner of the race even more of a champion.

meandmygitane said:
Strongest guy won, today! For sure! So glad for it!

(my avatar!)
Now you need a avatar of Phil in the rainbow stripes ;)
 
LaFlorecita said:
Why? It's not like Cavendish can climb and tt and Gilbert can sprint and tt. Why would a climber that can't sprint or tt not be a deserving WC?
I already explained why Gilbert is not a one-trick poney. I said Contador isn't one, either. And I never said Cav was a deserving world champion.
 
the asian said:
In a one day race, if you don't get your tactics right, you won't win.

There are no odds on favourites except perhaps in a very flat parcours.
Look, my point is that even though climbers might theoretically win a hilly WC the real hilly classic specialists will always have the biggest chance. So the chance that a climber becomes WC is very small, unless they've shown they can win Ardennes classics type of races. It's all about the win. A fifth place doesn't count.
 
hrotha said:
I already explained why Gilbert is not a one-trick poney. I said Contador isn't one, either. And I never said Cav was a deserving world champion.
The only thing Phil does well is classics type races, Alberto stage races and Cav sprints.

What I mean is that the WC should be the or one of the best cyclists and because there isn't such a thing as the best cyclist because of all the different disciplines there should be a chance for the specialists of all disciplines every now and then. And I mean a real chance, a climber might win a flat WC but that's not what I mean.
 
Mar 4, 2012
704
0
0
LaFlorecita said:
The only thing Phil does well is classics type races, Alberto stage races and Cav sprints.

What I mean is that the WC should be the or one of the best cyclists and because there isn't such a thing as the best cyclist because of all the different disciplines there should be a chance for the specialists of all disciplines every now and then. And I mean a real chance, a climber might win a flat WC but that's not what I mean.
Like it or not, the WC IS an one-day race....
 
LaFlorecita said:
The only thing Phil does well is classics type races, Alberto stage races and Cav sprints.

What I mean is that the WC should be the or one of the best cyclists and because there isn't such a thing as the best cyclist because of all the different disciplines there should be a chance for the specialists of all disciplines every now and then. And I mean a real chance, a climber might win a flat WC but that's not what I mean.
You cant have a World Championship for stage racers.:p

It's meant to be a one day race.;)

(Ah, beaten by another poster)
 
Cancellator said:
Like it or not, the WC IS an one-day race....
the asian said:
You cant have a World Championship for stage racers.:p

It's meant to be a one day race.

(Ah, beaten by another poster)
I have an idea :D Why don't we have a WC that consists out of a time trial, a flat stage, a mtf and a hilly stage (and a ttt if you like :rolleyes:) and for every discipline there is a winner And the overall winner is the stage race champion, that would be a fair WC, the best riders become WC :D
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS