• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Road World Championships, Mens Road Race Maastricht - Valkenburg 267 km 23/09/12

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
The was race boring and, as predicted by many, a pack finish going into the Cauberg. Gilbert did have prefect timing and form for an fantastic final, but more attacking (as Talansky and Stannard tried to stir the pot) would have been to my liking. The head wind was no help.

Four or five strong riders in that move might have made it different story. I have no idea why the USA were riding so far back and most of the team caught behind the crash and field split on the Cauberg (a crash on that uphill chute was almost a given)

Despite panning the race, chapeau to Gilbert.

A worthy World Champion.

May 17, 2009
Visit site
BillytheKid said:
The was race boring and, as predicted by many, a pack finish going into the Cauberg. Gilbert did have prefect timing and form for an fantastic final, but more attacking (as Talansky and Stannard tried to stir the pot) would have been to my liking. The head wind was no help.

Four or five strong riders in that move might have made it different story. I have no idea why the USA were riding so far back and most of the team caught behind the crash and field split on the Cauberg (a crash on that uphill chute was almost a given)

Despite panning the race, chapeau to Gilbert.

A worthy World Champion.

Boring? Not from where I was standing...the Cauberg!

There were no more than 30 riders left going into the Cauberg on the final lap, that may be considered a pack, albeit a small one...

All in all a great Championships, and a great Champion! Next year in Firenze will be even better - Hope I've recovered by then....

jrolaf said:
Boring? Not from where I was standing...the Cauberg!

There were no more than 30 riders left going into the Cauberg on the final lap, that may be considered a pack, albeit a small one...

All in all a great Championships, and a great Champion! Next year in Firenze will be even better - Hope I've recovered by then....

Where were you standing? I was right after the 2km mark.

I did find the race a bit predictable and boring though.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
cineteq said:
Interesting choice of words.

Nah perfectly timed is what he means.

Gilbert is prepared to go much deeper into the hurt locker than anyone else either IMO - I had lactate coming out of my ears just watching him.

For all the ifs buts and maybes noone was going to beat him.

Lovely to see Stannard off the front, he is such a beast.

TRENDING THREADS