• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour de France Review

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Rate the Tour de France

• 10 (awesome)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Biggest Dissapointment: No Contador / Too many crashes in first week again.
Biggest Surprise: Wiggins not cracking / Sagan, wow.
Best Stage win: Chris Froome's
Positives: Sky didnt **** it up.
Negatives: Serious lack of competition for the overall.
Funniest moment: Evans stood at the top of the mountain waving his arms about in the tack incident.
Improvements for 2013 and beyond: At least 3 mountain top finishes is a must.

I gave it a 9 because Sky got the 1,2 and Cav won in Paris which is what I was hoping for at the start of the Tour. Knocked one off as victory really isn't as sweet when it wasnt a real battle. The race was over after the first TT. You can blame the route to some extent but since Wiggins was one of the best climbers anyway it wouldn't have made a difference. With a top form Contador this Tour could have been epic. Without him it was all too predictable.

May 22, 2010
Visit site
5/10

Biggest Dissapointment: Non-sky's complete inability to put wiggins under pressure

Biggest Surprise: TJVG, Sagans dominance.

Best Stage win: A few good ones, Cavs blowout in stage 18, Wiggins show of authority in both TTs, Voeckler, Pinot.

Positives: Future of GT's looks good with TJ Pinot & Rolland.

Negatives: The route, the riding, Evans fading away in his defense.

Funniest moment: Steve Irwin fan waving around his inflatable crocodile like a complete muppet.

Improvements for 2013: Well the field should be stronger, and the route should be epic too.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
It has bettered to 5,3...

Pretty good if considering that there was no AC, a bad route design and Froome was tied in chains.

Wish there was a poll of last year. I guess it would be around 3. And the 1987-TdF might have end up between 8 and 9.

Biggest Dissapointment? The huge pile-up in the stage to Metz :mad:
Biggest Surprise? Van Garderen finishing 5th
Best Stage win? Cavendish enormous sprint in the 19th stage
Positives? Pinot, Van Garderen, Nibali's spirit
Negatives? The Froome-incidents, Dutch gc hopefuls crashing out
Funniest moment? None I can recall really?
Improvements for 2013 and beyond? Contador and Schleck should provide some more excitement in the mountains

Biggest Dissapointment?
Seeing some really good riders crash out with injuries. Was looking forward to seeing how Hesejedal would of got on, Samu in the mountains.

Biggest Surprise?
Sagan & The fact Sky coped so well in the mountains. Maybe due to lack of pressure from the other teams.

Best Stage win?
I loved the Pinot win with Madiot screaming out of the team car, was a joy to watch. Also Cav on the Champs for the 4th time and seeing Dave Millar win.

Positives?
Pinot, Rolland, TvG are great talents. Wiggo winning.

Negatives?
Lack of pressure on Sky in the mountains, **** heads throwing carpet tacks down and some of the Parcours.

Funniest moment?
Marc Madiot screaming at Pinot and one of the stages where Liquigas were drafting Sagan back to the Peloton via the car, watching the commissaire telling them off in a very very French gesticulative sort of way.

Improvements for 2013 and beyond?
MTF, MTF, MTF!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Dissapointment: Cadel Evans in a way, but he kept on trying which was good.
Surprise: Tejay VG
Stage Win: Pinot - now that is Panache!
Positives: TJVG, Seeing George get a good send off and Nibali's tenacity.
Negatives: Wiggo winning, Sky dominating, Cadel doing badly, GreenEdge not getting a stage win and the really bad injuries resulting from crashes.
Funniest moment: Paul Sherwen dropping the F-Bomb when on air. :D
Improvements: Hoppefully an inspiring route next year for the anniversary. The old classics should be remembered but there should also be parts which are special and unique. Also, I hope some of the GC riders come back with top form and with a vengeance.

2/10 - Sorry, this year was crap.

May 17, 2009
Visit site
Biggest Dissapointment? GC battle...the wasn't one..
Biggest Surprise? Van Garderen lasting 3 weeks
Best Stage win? A toss up between Cav on 19 and Sagan's Forrest Gump and Leon Sanchez going from the break.
Positives? Yes, Schelck and De Gregorio...
Negatives? Inablity to crack sky, GC contenders crashing out.
Improvements for 2013 and beyond? If two TT, one must be uphill... Why leave out the cobbles, they were right next to them. Cobbles are as much a part of
bike racing as mountains. A true champion should be able to tackle all type of terrain (that includes tricky descents AS...) And for **** sake lose the radios...

Biggest Dissapointment?

The sheer carnage of week 1. Too many good GC guys lost time/got knocked out. Hopefully everyone bounces back career wise, but it was just silly this year.

Biggest Surprise?

Sagan. Knew he was good, but just HOW good was the surprise.

Best Stage win?

Stage 7. I don't recall a tour where the first MTF has been so selective. Sky drilled it from a long long way out, obviously had planned to do so and really caught the field out. Don't know if folks just weren't in it in their heads, or didn't mind their hydration/nutrition right, but a lot of folks got dropped early when they really shouldn't have.

Positives?
TJVG, Pinot, and to an extent Froome (he does have a few years on those guys): a whole new series of GC battles looks to be on the cards for the future.

Negatives?

Two riders being removed from the race due to clinic issues.

Funniest moment?
Sagan's finish line repertoire.

I liked this amount of ITT, but there needs to be another true MTF to balance it.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Biggest Dissapointment?
Again the crashes at the first week, and the lack of stage mountains in quantity and quality.

Biggest Surprise?
Sky, Pinot, and some long range attacks from Evans, Nibali and VdB despite they didn't hurt Sky.

Best Stage win?
Wiggins last ITT, Indurain 2.0.

Positives?
Pinot, Rolland, TvG, LLSanchez, KOM competition, the high level breakaways and Frank S.:D

Negatives?
Invencible Sky train and Radio Shack

Funniest moment?
Wiggins-Froome cold war, Horner fails and Voeckler

Keep two long ITT (it's encourage more attacks from climbers), more and better mountain stages, more puncheur/tricky stages like Gap 2011 and Andy and Alberto

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Catwhoorg said:
Stage 7. I don't recall a tour where the first MTF has been so selective. Sky drilled it from a long long way out, obviously had planned to do so and really caught the field out. Don't know if folks just weren't in it in their heads, or didn't mind their hydration/nutrition right, but a lot of folks got dropped early when they really shouldn't have.

That´s true. At least since 2008, no first GT Mountain stage had separation...

Just another point that makes me stunned that so many posters rate 2011 better. Well, i give the benefit of doubt: They just have short memories.

Biggest Dissapointment? Only Nibali able to put some preassure on Sky; would have been a different race with AC, AS at the start and Samu and Gesink not crashing out.
Biggest Surprise? Froome; I never expected him to be the best climber in the TDF, but I guess I'm alone on this one:D
Best Stage win?; Voeckler stage 10
Positives? Pinot, TVG, Nerz (on Port Bales), Izagirre
Negatives? Frank Schleck, AG2R, Dennis Menchov, all the crashes and injuries in the first week, teams selecting riders 35+ ahead of young talents.
Funniest moment? Commentators on Eurosport Sweden, makes dull stages enjoyable
Improvements for 2013 and beyond? Better mountain stages. Less TT kilometers , live intermediate split times for all riders on mountains and other interessting places (so you can actually see "live" how far each rider is behind the leader)

Gave it a 3/10 rating BTW

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
vladimir said:
Biggest Dissapointment? Only Nibali able to put some preassure on Sky; would have been a different race with AC, AS at the start and Samu and Gesink not crashing out.

God forbid. He would have introduced the other riders to ride cowardly backwards with him. Thanks god FS will be gone for two years. I think cry baby will be so confused that he will have no impacts in the next few GT´s.

Biggest Dissapointment? Robert Gesink. I know it's entirely his fault, but I'm a huge fan of him and it's painful to cope with these crashes and all every single year.

Biggest Surprise? I jumped on Pinot's bandwagon long before this TdF, so I'm not utterly surprised by his performance overall, though still amazing. I've been caught off guard by Tejay VG. Would have never predicted a top10 for him, let alone a top5.

Best Stage win? Lulu Sanchez at Foix.

Positives? All the guys trying to breakway on multiple occasions. Sanchez, Voeckler, CAS, Kessaikof and the others. Chapeau to them.

Negatives? Might sound repetitive, but the parcours was a big letdown.

Funniest moment? Wiggo's antics were somehow funny to me.

Improvements for 2013 and beyond? It's been said milion of times at this point. If you want 100+ kms ITT you need more mountains. Balanced racing is the best.

Biggest Dissapointment - I wasn't expecting otherwise, but Froome being shackled by Sky again.
Biggest Surprise - Europcar.
Best Stage win - Stage 18 was the best finish, but I'll go with Pinot's win because that whole stage was great.
Positives - A good battle for the polka dots.
Negatives - The crashes.
Funniest moment - Sagan's bell.
Improvements for 2013 and beyond? - Smaller teams (not just for the TdF).

I gave it a 5.

Biggest Dissapointment: Evans, Route design, nobody willing/able to put Sky under any real pressure.

Biggest Surprise: TJVG - I thought he would do well, but he far exceeded my expectations. Michael Rogers. Also, I stayed awake each night, never went to sleep on the sofa watching (though I planned it by having a couple of hours sleep in the afternoon).

Best Stage Win: Pinot and Valverde.

Positives: TJVG, Pinot.

Negatives: Crashes through the first week (though fairly normal in recent years), Procession in some Mountain stages....Cav with the GC leaders at the top of a HC climb shows how slow it was.

Funniest Moment: Madiot encouraging Pinot to his stage win.

Ugliest Moments: Gilbert after his run-in with the big black dog, Farrar heading for the Argos bus after Stage 5 to 'discuss' some issues with Veelers.

Improvements for 2013 and beyond: More MTF's, maybe even a MTT.

Biggest Dissapointment? Metz Massacre, this took out to many important riders such as Gesink, Mollema, S. Sanchez and Hesjedal, that would have helped made the Tour more interesting.
Biggest Surprise? Evans faltering
Best Stage win? Voeckler's
Positives? Nibali, VDB, Van Garderen, Pinot, Lule Sanchez, Valverde & Europcar
Negatives? Wiggins' teammates: Froome and Porte -> see clinic
Funniest moment? Sagan doing Forrest Gump as victory salute
Improvements for 2013 and beyond? More balanced parcours, shut down team radios and add bonifications

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Biggest Dissapointment - Sky time trialing up mountains, especially the first one.
Biggest Surprise - Pinot, TJVG, Rolland, French Cycling
Best Stage win - Pinot, LLS, Voeckler (especially with the drag race between some of the best attacking riders)
Positives - Polka Dots, Pinot, TJ, French Cycling becoming much better
Negatives - Crashes, Sky leadout train, Froome shackled.
Funniest moment - Froome "attacking," Sagan, Vande Velde trying to drop Fedrigo
Improvements for 2013 and beyond? - better parcours, AC, add time bonuses to encourage attacking.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
Foxxyyyyyyyyy... you voted 10/10? I'd hate to see what your women look like. :)

I just voted 10/10, to put the Avg. into perspective. Actually last year was a 1/10, the Giro-2012 a 0/10 and the TdF-2012 around a 5/10. A perfect 10 was only the 87 edition...

My women are pretty good looking, don't worry.

TRENDING THREADS