• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour de France: Stage 6: Épernay → Metz (207.5km)

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ninety5rpm said:
Anyone know? If the cameras did not catch it, at least the riders should know.

I heard one rumor that it started with Vigano, but it's unconfirmed.

LaFleur said:
The team direct couldn't possible have known how bad the situation is tho?

Not about the kidney and stuff. But the doctors strongly advised against it and they were treating him. He was in pain, he couldn't talk and breathe properly, and the team decides it's ok for him to continue.

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Having touble keeping up now. Freire's gone hasn't he? and did Euskatel lose two? What's the latest list of who abandoned today - and is likely not to start tomorrow?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
if poels' kidney and spleen are ruptured he is either undergoing urgent surgery for internal bleeding or being intensively treated in an intensive care unit...

i hope the organs are not ruptured, bust just have contusions and pericapsular haematomas :this will mean that wouter is being monitored because of the serious situation ....in the first case the situation is much worse....

i hope some dutch can clarify the situation , because google translation are not exaustive.

Gubby Allen said:
Having touble keeping up now. Freire's gone hasn't he? and did Euskatel lose two? What's the latest list of who abandoned today - and is likely not to start tomorrow?

I don't know who Euskatel is, but I presume you mean Euskaltel.

They lost Astarloza (broken elbow) and Txurruka (broken collarbone, once again) for sure and I would be surprised if Verdugo can do anything in the next two weeks if he's able to continue.

Freire's out too.

profff said:
if poels' kidney and spleen are ruptured he is either undergoing urgent surgery for internal bleeding or being intensively treated in an intensive care unit...

i hope the organs are not ruptured, bust just have contusions and pericapsular haematomas :this will mean that wouter is being monitored because of the serious situation ....in the first case the situation is much worse....

i hope some dutch can clarify the situation , because google translation are not exaustive.

Only thing I heard is that there was no internal bleeding, which is good news.

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Arnout said:
I don't know who Euskatel is, but I presume you mean Euskaltel.

They lost Astarloza (broken elbow) and Txurruka (broken collarbone, once again) for sure and I would be surprised if Verdugo can do anything in the next two weeks if he's able to continue.

Yes, I meant EuskaLtel

Let's just blame Lance!

Or well, Bruynel/Postal and their full team up front domination approach. So succesful they were, that that's simply how everyone rides these days. Not only do we need room for the sprinters, their trains and the GC contenders, but now also all the domistiques, or they'll be dressed down by their DS's at the end of the day.

Just a thought ..

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
So it's official, Freire withdraws, which is not surprising, given a broken rib and all. Apparently Menchov and Paolini were involved in that crash too, lucky for Denis to escape unharmed.

Wish Freire quickest recovery, hopefully we haven't seen the last of him yet. I guess this can rule him out of the Olympics though. Hopefully he'll do the Vuelta at the very least though

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
I haven't read anything on this thread, and probably saying what's already been said. Just watching the podium presentations right now after having what the stage this morning and all I can say is.

Great. Just what we need for a good race, every single GC climber type contender losing type whilst every single GC timetrial type contender doesn't. Now they don't even need to bother following any attacks. Just sunday ride it in on each climb! Bloody marvellous.

Oh and well done Sagan.. Greipel might have been winged but Goss was fully fit and got done.

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Thing is, whilst it was Vigano who went into a ditch 'cos he wasn't able to brake, that doesn't fully explain the crash or pin the full blame on him, why was there any braking in front, the road was dead straight and clear as good a time as can be to take a hand off the handlebar really. Whilst Vigano is obviously not completely free from blame, it's the sort of crash that requires multiple people to make mistakes not just one.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
hoolaparara said:
I haven't read anything on this thread, and probably saying what's already been said. Just watching the podium presentations right now after having what the stage this morning and all I can say is.

Great. Just what we need for a good race, every single GC climber type contender losing type whilst every single GC timetrial type contender doesn't. Now they don't even need to bother following any attacks. Just sunday ride it in on each climb! Bloody marvellous.

Oh and well done Sagan.. Greipel might have been winged but Goss was fully fit and got done.

Goss misread the signs and started sprinting too early.

Great sprint by Sagan- on a flat sprint as well, which i definitely did not expect.
OGE's train was lost when the win was theirs for the taking, no Cav, an injured Greipel.

I feel sorry for all the people involved in the crashes ( especially those who abandoned/ the GC contenders ).

TRENDING THREADS