2012 Tour de France: Stage 7: Tomblaine → La Planche des Belles Filles (199km)

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 12, 2012
87
0
0
slowoldman said:
I don't think this is near over. I think Wiggins might struggle on multiple climb, harder longer climbing days. Evans looked strong, Froome was on fire. Wiggins looked to be holding on and not that well in fact. Struggled to get back to Evans wheel when he went.....don't know if Evans will be able to put quite enough time into Wiggins to hold him off in the TT's but it should be fun to watch.
I'm thinking along these lines too - multiple climbs will hopefully see other GC riders who have lost time go on the attack. Sky will have to chase earlier than normal so I can't see them having the goats on the final slop for Wiggins. This could play into Evans' hands as if him and Wig are together and isolated, I'd say Evans has the better chance to gain.

That said, I see it differently to you on todays stage. I think Wiggins only wanted to do just enough to hold onto Evans wheel. I remember thinking he never got out of the saddle (from what I saw). Similar to you, the TTs will be fun! Not a fan of the longer ones but it could be nice.

Still not sure what happened to BMC and RSNT mountain goats though. curious.
 
Jun 16, 2011
136
0
0
The Hitch said:
Wiggins goes round talking **** about people like Sastre and Contador, and mocking those who critisized Armstrong. Dont be surprised when people like that get the **** swung back in their faces, and dont euthanize it as hating him for riding his bike.
Euthanize it? Maybe you mean euphemise...
 
Apr 1, 2009
330
0
0
slowoldman said:
I don't think this is near over. I think Wiggins might struggle on multiple climb, harder longer climbing days. Evans looked strong, Froome was on fire. Wiggins looked to be holding on and not that well in fact. Struggled to get back to Evans wheel when he went.....don't know if Evans will be able to put quite enough time into Wiggins to hold him off in the TT's but it should be fun to watch.
are you just making this up to make urself feel better? Wiggins caught Evans' wheel without getign out of the saddle
 
Apr 1, 2009
330
0
0
thehog said:
I don't think people hate him. I think they hate what he's doing to the sport. What we're seeing is a little too obvious for some people liking.

Only time will tell. My only concern is this the way he really wants to win?
I dont understand what is he "doing to the sport" Wiggins/ Sky arnt doing anything that hasnt been done many times before
 
Dec 30, 2011
3,547
0
0
Arnout said:
Remember us three years ago, laughing when Brailsford told the world in his bombastic press conference, launching Team Sky, that there would be a British Team Sky Tourwinner in 5 years (or 10 years even, I don't remember).

We're not laughing anymore.
Indeed I mocked Sky a lot in those days... it was only after the Vuelta and worlds that I truly realised this wasnt a joke.
thehog said:
I don't think people hate him. I think they hate what he's doing to the sport. What we're seeing is a little too obvious for some people liking.

Only time will tell. My only concern is this the way he really wants to win?
Firstly I echoe Mellow Velo's sentiment.
Also I dont think this is the only way he wants to win but this may very well be the only way he can win the Tour.
Normandy said:
I agree. I have read the forum for a couple of years and enjoyed the good humour and banter that was on the site. There was previously a number of posters on this site who where very informative and very witty, particlarly on race day but they seem to have disappeared this year. You only have to look at the thread titles recently and Sky or its riders are the subject of an increasing number of repetititive threads, or another thread is hijacked by Sky fans.

I find the arrogance of Team Sky, its riders and and British Commentators/fans/journalists embarrassing, which is sad as I am British. However, its par for British sport and overhyping its sportsmen.

Therefore, please note Ferryman that not all Brits are Sky fans or fans of the British cycling academy.
I also believe people struggle to accept that the European culture of cycling is being invaded by the British and with Sky's success the European fans are certainly not appreciative. Sky fans on this forum and generally may rub it in and that is certainly not appropriate yet I believe that the love of Sky is something which is not all that disimilar from many other fans yet it is being taken out of proportion to the reasons above.

Yet I agree that the forum has been damaged by it but to attribute it to the Sky fans solely is incorrect and misleading. Another point is that many of the fans who may not know that much about cycling on this forum come from Britain and support Sky and this adds to the resentment as they are considered by some to be spoiling the forum and intruding.
 
Since the early days of Channel 4 and the 30 minutes snippets of Robbie Miller in the Polkadots I've longed for a day like today, Felt privileged What a fookin brilliant day for a country that doesn't give a **** unless its a load of over payed pre madonas getting a bag of wind around, be lucky if it makes most of tomorrows papers in the UK, they've the weather to talk about, been terrible you know!!
But I'm one of the few who thought they'd never see these days, we stood at the 350metre to go final bend, just as Cuddles tried it on : )
a pic I took
 
Since the early days of Channel 4 and the 30 minutes snippets of Robbie Miller in the Polkadots and our only chance to see the Tour, I've longed for a day like today, Felt privileged and what a brilliant day for a country that doesn't give a **** unless its a load of over payed pre madonas kicking a bag of wind around, We'll be lucky if it makes half of tomorrows papers in the UK, they've the weather to talk about, been terrible you know!!
But I'm one of the few who thought they'd never see these days, we stood at the 350metre to go final bend, just as Cuddles tried it on
: )
 
Hmm, watched the replay. Thoughts

Froome is very strong

VDB is strong but unlucky

Not trying to follow Sky wasn't a bad tactic

Radioshack leadership sucks as they didn't seem to have much of a set plan

Millar seemed to have caused a slight pileup when he was drifiting back in the bunch

Sky can ride faster as Rogers and Porte weren't completely done when they pulled off
 
Froome19 said:
I also believe people struggle to accept that the European culture of cycling is being invaded by the British and with Sky's success the European fans are certainly not appreciative. Sky fans on this forum and generally may rub it in and that is certainly not appropriate yet I believe that the love of Sky is something which is not all that disimilar from many other fans yet it is being taken out of proportion to the reasons above.

Yet I agree that the forum has been damaged by it but to attribute it to the Sky fans solely is incorrect and misleading. Another point is that many of the fans who may not know that much about cycling on this forum come from Britain and support Sky and this adds to the resentment as they are considered by some to be spoiling the forum and intruding.
To start with the last part, I actually am not that bothered by the Team Sky fans, there aren't that many. They can be a bit ignorant sometimes, but one cannot expect new followers of cycling to understand every part of it immediately. I think we should embrace new fans. Often, they come in fanatically supporting a team, but once they're in, they will embrace cycling itself, and not only a team or rider. Personally, I think the ascent of the appreciation/depreciation threads illustrated the downhill path of this forum for the last year or so. They're gone now, so we will see, who knows...

You're absolutely spot on in your first paragraph about my feelings. I love cycling, I love the stories, the heroics and the unpredictability. Of course, we've had Armstrong and Indurain in the last 20 years, who were also methodical and probably boring, but they both showed their class multiple times, going on the front themselves and all that. Then Armstrong left, we got a few good years, I will never forget 2006 stage 17, that has to be the most brilliant stage I've seen in my life. It was everything what cycling is about. Now though, we're back in 2000, but worse.

It's Team Sky, pushing on the front, other contenders falling away, and the way team Sky operates feels... inhuman. I hate the marginal gains theory, I hate the helmets they introduced. Not because they're bad things, but because for me it's not cycling. Cycling is the one man winning in the face of adversity, not streamlining and perfecting a team to send the rest into oblivion. I hate seeing cycling go the corporate way. Ironically, Anglo-Saxon countries introduced the "there is no I in team" ideology, whereas European cycling was much more about the lone warrior. It's ironic, because the society structure is exactly the reverse. I like the lone warrior more, the mountain goats going off the front, winning races in spectacular fashion, the guy that no-one would've thought had any chance winning a stage, etc etc.

I feel it's all going away, and the corporate teams of BMC and Sky are some of the main reasons for this. It makes me sad, and it makes me angry at the same time. That's, to be honest, the reason I'm cheering for much of Euskaltel, because they seem to be the team that still embodies the nostalgic feeling, the passion and the spirit that was there, once.

Maybe I'm being silly, maybe I'm the one that should move on, together with cycling. I'd rather have cycling come back to me, though.
 
Dec 27, 2010
6,674
0
0
Eyeballs Out said:
Did Evans know the finish ? He seemed to completely misjudge it - like he didn't realise there was a really steep bit around the corner in the last 200m
I think he knew it - that's why he led into the right hander. I don't think he really misjudged it, Evans doesn't tend to wait, he likes to get on the front early in the "sprint" and grind it out to the line. And he would've won the stage if Froome hadn't been in vroom mode.
 
Jun 1, 2011
2,500
0
0
roundabout said:
Hmm, watched the replay. Thoughts

Froome is very strong

VDB is strong but unlucky

Not trying to follow Sky wasn't a bad tactic

Radioshack leadership sucks as they didn't seem to have much of a set plan

Millar seemed to have caused a slight pileup when he was drifiting back in the bunch

Sky can ride faster as Rogers and Porte weren't completely done when they pulled off
Klöden blew it, by blowing up. He should have known he was bad and sat up much earlier instead of riding the Sky train. Zubeldia was not that bad, he chose not to make the dig on the last ramp. Rode well witin himself, but clearly Wiggins, Froome, Cadel and Nibali are the best. They had a plan, but things will go wrong. Wiggin's past is full of it, but I would never say that it was all leadership.
 
Oct 16, 2009
3,868
0
0
will10 said:
I think he knew it - that's why he led into the right hander. I don't think he really misjudged it, Evans doesn't tend to wait, he likes to get on the front early in the "sprint" and grind it out to the line. And he would've won the stage if Froome hadn't been in vroom mode.
Lelangue described the finish to him over the radio (they showed it on TV at around 3 km to go), but I think he did a poor job, because if you didn't pay very close attention it sounded like the road kicked up immediately after the bend at 400 to go, instead of a hundred meters or so after. On his blog Evans says he went a little too early. Not sure it mattered though, Froome was amazing.
 
goggalor said:
Lelangue described the finish to him over the radio (they showed it on TV at around 3 km to go), but I think he did a poor job, because if you didn't pay very close attention it sounded like the road kicked up immediately after the bend at 400 to go, instead of a hundred meters or so after. On his blog Evans says he went a little too early. Not sure it mattered though, Froome was amazing.
Evans looked overgeared but he was on his limit and Froome was too good on the day.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
1
0
movingtarget said:
Evans looked overgeared but he was on his limit and Froome was too good on the day.
Evans was on his limit? Maybe during the sprint but not during the general climbing.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
1
0
Arnout said:
Wiggins was going 100% the moment Evans went and wasn't able to hold the wheel. He may pretend otherwise, but I think he's afraid of Froome.

Last year I was cheering for Evans, I might be again this year. Even though I don't like him, but the alternatives are worse :(
Exactly, lets not trust the babble that Wiggins loves to serve up. He has been playing the mind games since Liege.
Armanius said:
Nice finish today! Very disappointed with BMC though. So much for looking like a "super team" with all the signings of big names last year, not that I ever thought Gilbert or Thor would be an asset for Cadel at the TDF. BMC still can't touch Sky. Cadel will have to win the TDF on his own, if he can.
BMC were dissapointing but I believe that if they really want to help Evans in the mountains then they would have Johann Tschopp and Mathias Frank in the team. TJVG was very dissapointing but this climb did not suit him. the longer, less explosive climbs will suit him so I think he will be good for La Tousuirre.
dlwssonic said:
Not good for evans that so many good climbers are not doing well or are way back on GC.
This is my main worry, but I think Evans will be alright and will overcome this. He needs to be patient.
 
Mar 13, 2009
2,890
0
0
A good TT and Sky will be riding for Froome, Froome was the strongest, Evans was over geared and jumped a little early.

Enjoyed the finale, everyone now knows the state of play. Now everyone puts their plans into action. These plans should start now, not waiting until the TT to confirm what is already known.
 
May 14, 2009
105
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
Exactly, lets not trust the babble that Wiggins loves to serve up. He has been playing the mind games since Liege.

BMC were dissapointing but I believe that if they really want to help Evans in the mountains then they would have Johann Tschopp and Mathias Frank in the team. TJVG was very dissapointing but this climb did not suit him. the longer, less explosive climbs will suit him so I think he will be good for La Tousuirre.


This is my main worry, but I think Evans will be alright and will overcome this. He needs to be patient.
I was surprised Frank didn't make the team. He seems to be the best domestique climber on BMC this year. I also thought Morabito would be there. I don't get why Quinzato is on the team at all.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
1
0
Glockers said:
I was surprised Frank didn't make the team. He seems to be the best domestique climber on BMC this year. I also thought Morabito would be there. I don't get why Quinzato is on the team at all.
I can see why Quinziato is but not Cummings. I think Morabito wasn't selected because he was ill in the Dauphine though ins aying that, look how well Steve is going in Austria. Will probably finish 2nd overall. Frank would have been too tired to do the Tour after the Giro and the same with Tschopp.
 
First of all i must say i was wrong regaurding my 20 riders to the top of summit finish"Sky was really strong with Froome and Wiggins being the last two standing,And only Cadel and Nibali being able to follow.Good solid first climb for those three riders but what happened to Valverde, Sanchez,Menchov,Leipheimer,Gesink and Van Garderen?Well there is still plenty of racing left so anything can happen?but so far its Evans,Wiggins,Froome,Nibali 1....and the rest 0.Also impressed by Tarramae"
 
May 2, 2011
80
0
0
JA.Tri said:
Rather than declaring the war over and handing over the title....I prefer to regard this as:

Opening salvo in an early skirmish.

Sammy, Frank et al will bring climbing legs to the party, much to the chagrin of the current favs. VDB is impressive (although his handling skills are questionable) and will likely show plenty.

I was amazed at the time gaps and impressed by the riding/parcours. Such stages promise plenty. As with others I cannot imagine that the quality climbers will not show more over the coming days.

Shame if Wiggins' oblique reference to Froome is as he intended...seems arrogant.

Froome impressed, Cadel, VN, Wiggins very good.

Can Sky hold their form, can Cadel Nibbles come on strong thru week 3? Can a surprise outsider break through?

This race over...not by a long shot (or many more salvos :) ).
over
Finally a sensible comment after all this doom and gloom from most of you, it's only the first week of the tour ffs!
Now Sky has to defend the jersey for two weeks, if they manage to do it hats off to them, but I don't think there's going to be 3 or 4 sky riders in front on the climbs in the final week.
I have to say that Cadel looked better than Wiggins today and remains favorite number 1 in my opinion. Great ride by Nibali as well. Most of the other climbers were all still beaten up from yesterdays crash and they're going to be much better in the alps. It could still be a very exciting tour.
 
Apr 10, 2009
594
0
0
FignonLeGrand said:
are you just making this up to make urself feel better? Wiggins caught Evans' wheel without getign out of the saddle
No, I race my bike enough to know that in or out of the saddle when it takes time to close a gap you are feeling the effort. A stronger rider would have never let the gap open. I'll stick with my theory that it hurt a little to close that for Wiggins.

If he was as strong as you think he was, he should have closed and went by just to play a little mind games.
 
The Hitch said:
Wiggins goes round talking **** about people like Sastre and Contador, and mocking those who critisized Armstrong. Dont be surprised when people like that get the **** swung back in their faces, and dont euthanize it as hating him for riding his bike.
Well said.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS