• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour de France: Stage 9: Arc-et-Senans → Besançon (ITT) (41.5 km)

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Gloin22 said:
Did you care when OPQS were magically beyond everyone on cobbles ? :rolleyes:

What do you mean with that? Boonen hanging on Pozzato's wheel for dear life on the Oude Kwaremont in the RVV and finishing around 1'40'' in front of Turgot in Paris-Roubaix? It wasn't exactly mapei 1995-1996-1998-1999.

Two riders on the same team performing like they never did before, although being way over 25 (Froome) or even 30(Wiggins) is something really different.

Thee_chisa said:
contador's ban is not controversial - unless you are call alberto contador. armstrong was never a good tt rider, see indurain catching him for 3 mins in 1996. and you are insinuating that sky are doping, give it a rest. are you gonna call everyone who wins a cheat?

Actually, even in the clinic Contador's ban does cause some level of argument, the last time I checked, moreso than many other cases.

I said the parallels were similar, though not exactly the same. Armstrong was more of a classics rider who could ride a good TT on his day, though everyone always points out that he was caught for 3 minutes by Indurain one time (and Indurain was easily the best TTer of his generation).

And no, I'm not accusing anyone of being a cheat, at this point. I am not a big fan of Wiggins, but I don't dislike him. I'm just pointing out some of the parallels to that year.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Stop these clinic issues now... All complain about riders who don´t learn from the past, but fans also seem unwilling to learn. These discussions are the same we´ve had since 1998´s Festina days.

How insane can one be to believe Sky riders do so well because they dope and others don´t.

There´s a full clinics thread about Sky on CN forums for these issues.

Today, I only want to honour Wiggins and Sky in general.

May 31, 2010
Visit site
perico said:
Actually, even in the clinic Contador's ban does cause some level of argument, the last time I checked, moreso than many other cases.

I said the parallels were similar, though not exactly the same. Armstrong was more of a classics rider who could ride a good TT on his day, though everyone always points out that he was caught for 3 minutes by Indurain one time (and Indurain was easily the best TTer of his generation).

And no, I'm not accusing anyone of being a cheat, at this point. I am not a big fan of Wiggins, but I don't dislike him. I'm just pointing out some of the parallels to that year.

contador's ban is controversial amongst the armchair GT contenders! wow, their opinion carries weight!

May 31, 2010
Visit site
a lot of people are talking like this is already over! still 2 more weeks, the alps and pyrenees! lots could happen. i wanna see some proper concerted attacks from evans and nibili.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Impressive from the Sky guys. This forum, however, is quite unimpressive. At least that's the impression I get from the last 15 pages - 15 pages filled with nonsense.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Ruby United said:
Evans finished the EXACT same amount of time down on Wiggins as he did in the Dauphine.

What's funny about that ?

Every BMC ( dlwsonnic ) fan though Evans would close the gap in TT's especially as he wasn't at his peak at Dauphine just yet :eek: :p

This pic summarizes Cade's TT today I believe

553937_342943919117169_111282528_n.jpg

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
"Couple of years ago every1 was laughing at @TeamSky for doing million things trying to improve performance, now when they're flying it's very easy to say they must be doing something... Yes, they r, training, nutrition, dedication, etc. well deserved".

Brajkovic

May 31, 2010
Visit site
kjetilraknerud said:
Impressive from the Sky guys. This forum, however, is quite unimpressive. At least that's the impression I get from the last 15 pages - 15 pages filled with nonsense.

+1. sour grapes. remember that evans is quite old and coming to the end of his career, todays TT had a lot of climbing so cancellara did well to get the position he did, and SKY are totally obsessed with winning the tour. everything wiggins et al have been doing all year is for this.

It looks like USPS tour with Lance Armstrong. Multiple climb stages have not been ridden but I don't think Wiggins be dropped there - he is too good in this Tour. Possibly the presentation of the route of next TDF will be more exciting than the remaining part of this TDF...

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
The people who claimed that Wiggins had peacked to early at the Dauphine and that riders like Cadel were going to catch up with them were entirely wrong.

In fact Wiggins has improved more so than Evans since the Dauphine and indeed basically everyone of his competitors (besides Chavanel I think) as he beat Evans by the same time which he beat him in the Dauphine just on a longer course therefore if he would have ridden the same course today he would have most likely put more time into Evans, it is worrying for Evans who was not capable of taking any real time out of Wiggins on the climbs even though they were limited.

Especially Stages 10 and 16 which are similar to the Joux Plane stage and Stage 10 is very similar to the Colombier stage in the Dauphine even if a bit harder after yesterday's assured showing by Sky that leaves Cadel requiring around 4 minutes from Stages 11 and 17, the way Wiggins and Froome have been climbing so far that seems like an extraordinarily tall order.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
"Couple of years ago every1 was laughing at @TeamSky for doing million things trying to improve performance, now when they're flying it's very easy to say they must be doing something... Yes, they r, training, nutrition, dedication, etc. well deserved".

Brajkovic

You mean the guy where Bruyneel put his faith in for a couple of years?

TourOfSardinia said:
Cadel and Nibbles need to work as allies if they are going to crack UKPS
They can align with some other stage hunters to aid them getting time back. But is there enough opportunities to make time back even if that worked? sky is now the new york yankees. at least for the this tdf.

Thee_chisa said:
+1. sour grapes. remember that evans is quite old and coming to the end of his career, todays TT had a lot of climbing so cancellara did well to get the position he did, and SKY are totally obsessed with winning the tour. everything wiggins et al have been doing all year is for this.
Puff, for a moment I thought the other GT contenders (Menchov, Nibali, Zubeldia, JvdB, Schleck, Kloden, etc) were the only ones obsessed with winning the Tour.:rolleyes:

Your statement make no sense at all. None.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
I'm glad you can judge from a 16 minute effort on the very first climb of the entire race.

Figures were not spectacular in context.

mate, they went fast and that's what they are paid for to do
you don't have to find them an excuse
i don't watch for 6 hours guys blacking out when they hit a climb.professional sport means evolution.better medical care,better technology,better biochemistry,better everything

it wasn't at all just a 16 minutes effort,from the crossroad d97-d16 to the top they went at 27.50 km/h.it is relevant because ebh went at something like around 600 watts on that easy climbing part until the official start of the climb.when they arrived,the peloton was already destroyed.
plus they went at a devastating pace on the uncategorised climb.
also stage with some nice climbing meters at 40 km/h

man i'm curious how alberto will handle froomy,cobo and quintana in the vuelta.that will be fun

TRENDING THREADS