• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour de France: Stage 9: Arc-et-Senans → Besançon (ITT) (41.5 km)

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Cervelo77 said:
At least Cadel will likely ride to win, so will not care about trying to protect a 2nd place position on the podium. We should see some interesting days in the mountains. I think unless the other GC teams hook up and try to work together, Sky is going to steamroll this, baring a bonk or fall. Right now everyone is playing for 3rd.

True... but Cadel really isn't a mountain rider... he ride those stages very well, when doing defensively; doing an offensive stage like Sanchez, AC etc. doesn't seem likely.

I'd love to see it happen though :)

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
This TT made me like Froome a lot more then Wiggo.

Wiggo just seems less human, more like a TT machine. This stoic characterless machine-like way of riding might be good for TTing and for the track, but Froome actually rides like a great cyclist with a lot of character.

It's a shame we don't get to see them face off in the mountains, because I am convinced because Froome is more like a cyclist he would do better on road stages.

I usually don't like this emotional vague **** about emotions when it comes to sport, but when I saw Froome sprint in at the finish and then a shot of Wiggo pushing forth apathetically without any character whatsoever, I thought Froome looks much more like a cyclist.

This TDF has made me appreciate Wiggo's athletic abilities a bit more though; but now comes the real test, the multi climb high mountain stages.

Wiggins has now basically cornered guys like VDB, Nibali, Menchov and Evans.

He has left them no choice, but to go wild and I am not sure he can handle that (even with the help of Froome).

Evans will not ride for the podium or a top-5. He will ride to win, which will make him dangerous.

Why do you guys talk like it's over already?
Didn't you expect today results? Really Wiggins was expected to do well in ITT, he almost always did, it's his speciality.
I'm alot more impressed by Sky climbing powerhouse, that's what I didn't expect, at least not at that level.
Nonetheless there are still 2 more weeks of racing... I fear more Froomiee than Wiggo if I can speak my mind.
Sky already lost a GT making Froome work for Wiggins, better have a good strategy this time... to avoid bad surprises.

Climbing said:
Why do you guys talk like it's over already?
Didn't you expect today results? Really Wiggins was expected to do well in ITT, he almost always did, it's his speciality.
I'm alot more impressed by Sky climbing powerhouse, that's what I didn't expect, at least not at that level.
Nonetheless there are still 2 more weeks of racing... I fear more Froomiee than Wiggo if I can speak my mind.
Sky already lost a GT making Froome work for Wiggins, better have a good strategy this time... to avoid bad surprises.

Has won every full length TT he has entered this year.

Clemson Cycling said:
I think that it is Froome that has left everyone head scratching

True for the most part. I mean, we knew he was good, but to be placed so well in this Tour and at the same time supporting Wiggans is pretty amazing. We'll see where he's at after the mountains, but still is amazing. So, when is Froome's contract up? I'd expect some other DS's to salivate.

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Panda Claws said:
Wiggins has now basically cornered guys like VDB, Nibali, Menchov and Evans.

He has left them no choice, but to go wild and I am not sure he can handle that (even with the help of Froome).

Evans will not ride for the podium or a top-5. He will ride to win, which will make him dangerous.

You think so? I get the impression Evans will just follow, or launch tiny attacks with 1-2KM to go. I cant ever recall a significant attack hes done.

It's funny, Evans use to be hated and known as a "wheel sucker" and now everybody wants to see him win. To be honest, I don't think Wiggins nor Evans are particularly interesting, I'd love to see Froome win.

I hope someone attacks and Wiggins bonks and Froome is given the green light to follow and not protect Wiggins.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
True for the most part. I mean, we knew he was good, but to be placed so well in this Tour and at the same time supporting Wiggans is pretty amazing. We'll see where he's at after the mountains, but still is amazing. So, when is Froome's contract up? I'd expect some other DS's to salivate.

Extended in the winter with Sky ;) 3 more years at Sky ;)

LeafCrAzY said:
You think so? I get the impression Evans will just follow, or launch tiny attacks with 1-2KM to go. I cant ever recall a significant attack hes done.

It's funny, Evans use to be hated and known as a "wheel sucker" and now everybody wants to see him win. To be honest, I don't think Wiggins nor Evans are particularly interesting, I'd love to see Froome win.

I hope someone attacks and Wiggins bonks and Froome is given the green light to follow and not protect Wiggins.

Evans hasn't been a wheelsucker since 2010 or so.

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
What's funny about that ?

Every BMC ( dlwsonnic ) fan though Evans would close the gap in TT's especially as he wasn't at his peak at Dauphine just yet :eek: :p

This pic summarizes Cade's TT today I believe

553937_342943919117169_111282528_n.jpg

Reminds me of Mr. Bean.

Caruut said:
The American veteran Chris Boardman is about to start :confused:

Bala Verde said:
As long as he doesn't burn his sides in the descent, it shouldn't really impact his performance...

It is pathetic, Wiggins is always strong in TT. All year on here it has been "tour will be boring, wiggo friendly course etc"

Soon as he wins one stage, his specialty, he is a doper. It is tiresome, anyone who performs well = doper (unless you happen to be a 'fanboy').

ruamruam said:
This thread, if the stage is to be discussed honestly needs to be moved to the clinic.

Then why dont you join the various threads in the clinic rather than post dross like that. The reason the clinic exists is so that people can enjoy cycling without having to constantly read about various people's opinion on doping. A lot of people on this thread seem to have forgotten that.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
LeafCrAzY said:

Evans pretty much abandoned wheel sucking after wining a WC.

While he didn't accelerate away in last year's tour much, he rode a LOT at the front. He took to the front and chased down breaks by Schleck and Contador on stages 18 and 19.

That kind of climbing isn't what he needs to do in this year's race though. He needs the sharp attacks.

TRENDING THREADS