• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour of Utah, Stage 5, Park Center to Snowbird, 162.8 Km

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
This should be an epic day and is the Queen stage of this Tour. An early break will go and could stay way till the final climb, but all for the day should be decided on the final uphill.

Four catagorized climbs mark this stage, but the last to Snowbird at some 11 km, the last 5.5 of which are at 9% will most likely decided the day. Look for a return of the Columbians, but other surprisers might arise. Garmin's Tom Danielson is their best climber and stands poised to to take the lead. Radio Shack Nissan's Chris Horner singled at the TTT that he's tired, but looked attentive on yesterday stage and even received a bike from a teammate in the last Ks showing that he's still game. I not counting anyone out today. The possible surprisers are many.

Fire at will today if, unfortuantely, I have to miss the festivities.

http://tourofutah.com/2012/stage-5

Live streming; http://tourtracker.tourofutah.com/

Start time: 11:10 MST, 1:10 EST

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Breaks trying to form on the way to Kamas. People flying off the front. They had a large group of 22, but I think it's all together... sort of.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
This stream is just so good. :)

All races should have streams like this.

This race even has a good parcour, unlike other American races!

Forget about California or that boring race with a lame name that I can't remember that was hyped so much last year because of altitude but turned out extremely boring. Utah's the way to go! :)

Maaaaaaaarten said:
This stream is just so good. :)

All races should have streams like this.

This race even has a good parcour, unlike other American races!

Forget about California or that boring race with a lame name that I can't remember that was hyped so much last year because of altitude but turned out extremely boring. Utah's the way to go! :)

Agree 100%

So much better than Cali. Miss Sergio Henao this year though

They're about to pass right by our old neighborhood. I've ridden this climb dozens of times. You can easily hit 90kmh on the descent.

They will descend, flat for 1k, then start climbing up to Wasatch Blvd. Rolling on Wasatch, then straight up on Snowbird.

Hard part DOES NOT start at the bottom.

For anyone reading, Snowbird is like this.

First 1.5k are not bad, maybe 5%. Then it ramps up for the next 5k at 10-13%. Then it flattens out a bit to 5% again, Ramps up right before Snowbird.

That's not really the end of the climb, just where the stage ends. The road continues to the ski resort at Alta, then the road turns to pave for another 1k to the hiking trail at Catherine Lake.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
It sure is nice that we are getting coverage of these smaller races. This has been a fantastic year for race coverage - with Eurosport broadcasting since the spring classics, and now this Tour-tracker for the US races.

I'll take this small stuff any day - good competition.

TRENDING THREADS