• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 USA Pro Cycling Challenge; Stage 1, Durango to Telluride

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Arnout said:
How old is Fred Rodriguez by the way? He must be something like 54 now?

Samson said:
What the hell happened with the likes of Evans, Basso, Phinny and Kangert :confused:

Evans and Basso couldn't keep up, might be the altitude. They also both did the tour so might be tired from that, and of course they are both getting old. Phinny crashed earlier in the stage, don't know if that affected him or not.

I'm starting to like US races, for some reason they seem to be very laid back and all that, but I cannot get used to the commentators willfully being used to sprout all kind of commercial crap. "The United Healthcare team classification, the Execy (wrongly spelled, no doubt) Sprint jersey etc", and always pronouncing Radioshack-Nissan-Trek and Liquigas-Cannondale.

Feels wrong and American at the same time.

Evans, Basso. What were you guys expecting?
They're coming from a whole month of inactivity and clearly don't give a sheet about this race.
It's basically altitude training for these guys.

I'm actually amazed Nibali came to race and not just to show off his Cannondale bike.

Arnout said:
I'm starting to like US races, for some reason they seem to be very laid back and all that, but I cannot get used to the commentators willfully being used to sprout all kind of commercial crap. "The United Healthcare team classification, the Execy (wrongly spelled, no doubt) Sprint jersey etc", and always pronouncing Radioshack-Nissan-Trek and Liquigas-Cannondale.

Feels wrong and American at the same time.

Whenever the excessive sponsorship starts to bug me, I remind myself that the money is good for the sport.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Interesting the Columbian, Beltran, was dropped. This has got to be an important race for them. You might be able to argue that someone like Basso "doesn't care" or whatever, but that's not true for everyone. Overall, a more exciting stage than I would have thought. Tommy D has guts, I've got to say.

Darn the flat finish, though ..

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
beltran is clearly not in the best shape althiough he did a lot of work in the break. his teammates looked stronger though. I think they fall finished in the group. infantino is a lot better under cold circumstances. he'll be their gc man. also teh race isn't that important to them. to beltran it will be to see if he can find a european team/ but for the rest it's prepartion for rcn

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Samson said:
What the hell happened with the likes of Evans, Basso, Phinny and Kangert :confused:

Garmin decided to ride hard. Tommy D sounded unfazed in that interview. Looking to dish it out. The break made sense for the KOM points.

The break never got much, but took a lot of hp to bring back.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Kreuziger safely there. He said hes domestique for Brajkovic in Utah, but I wouldn't be surprised if that changed because Brajki usually doesnt hold form for long time (since Tour)
But he probably doesnť care for this race very much.

TRENDING THREADS