• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Vuelta a España: Stage 3: Faustino V → Eibar (Arrate) (155,3km)

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Poursuivant said:
Surprised at the AC doubting, I thought he looked the strongest today.

Agree. He attacked a number of times and nobody countered when they got back on and could recover a bit. Until the end, they didn't even pull through.

He is going to put a few of the top GC contenders in the red on a stage and it will be all over. Only problem is that *he* might put himself in the red first.

Can't wait to see it, whatever happens.

Havetts said:
Contador was easily the strongest and still some of you contador fans complain, what the ****?

I disagree, Purito and Valverde followed him easily and beat him in the sprint, of course they were stronger.

No_Balls said:
Do i really need to tell you that is the time when you should have faith in him? In the good and bad times. What the hell is this?

So I should always think he is on top form? What the hell is that :confused:

LaFlorecita said:
No I don't have faith in him when I see he's not good. Though in a way this reminds me of last year's Giro, this stage being stage 7 there where Alberto almost lost time and yesterday's stage being stage 8 where he attacked for bonus seconds. Maybe stage 7 here will be like stage 9 last year..? ;)

Its like you completely forgot that he only just returned, this was the first mountain he's been competing on in a very long time.

did you completely forget that only a few days ago everyone was talking about him being weak the first week? I think the aggresive riding from today is a very strong signal, he will be very hard to control once they hit the real mountains, and even if im wrong, he will deffinetly do what he can to make this race really fun to watch.

Alpehue said:
Its like you completely forgot that he only just returned, this was the first mountain he's been competing on in a very long time.

did you completely forget that only a few days ago everyone was talking about him being weak the first week? I think the aggresive riding from today is a very strong signal, he will be very hard to control once they hit the real mountains, and even if im wrong, he will deffinetly do what he can to make this race really fun to watch.

I don't think he can get into form early enough to win this Vuelta. He should be good next year though.

LaFlorecita said:
I disagree, Purito and Valverde followed him easily and beat him in the sprint, of course they were stronger.

But they couldn't counter attack either :) And Alberto has never had the sprint of those 2 and never will.

Yes I'm concerned about his obvious lack of stamina after his attacks; either it will come or it won't in this race. Either way it will be fun to watch because he will attack until they break or he breaks himself. I think they will break first :)

LaFlorecita said:
So I should always think he is on top form? What the hell is that :confused:

Obviously he is not in top shape. Nobody has ever said that. I dont say that because he didnt drop Froome but because there were plenty of other guys (although good ones!) that he did not shake off either. But it is your completely disbelief in him bouncing back from this current order that is chocking to say the least.

Carols said:
But they couldn't counter attack either :) And Alberto has never had the sprint of those 2 and never will.

Yes I'm concerned about his obvious lack of stamina after his attacks; either it will come or it won't in this race. Either way it will be fun to watch because he will attack until they break or he breaks himself. I think they will break first :)

You are very optimistic, I find that admirable :)

No_Balls said:
Obviously he is not in top shape. Nobody has ever said that. I dont say that because he didnt drop Froome but because there were plenty of other guys (although good ones!) that he did not shake off either. But it is your completely disbelief in him bouncing back from this current order that is chocking to say the least.

I just don't think he has it (yet!) Should I always be optimistic and shout that he is going to win? Of course not, that's BS. Optimism only leads to disappointment. It's what I've been saying ever since he got banned and people started saying he would win la Vuelta by 10 minutes. Of course I'd hoped that would happen but it was just not realistic, just as it is not realistic to think he can win this Vuelta. That doesn't mean I like him less now.

LaFlorecita said:
I don't think he can get into form early enough to win this Vuelta. He should be good next year though.

Only time will tell who is right or wrong. But im feeling optimistic on his behalf, he will only get stronger as the race goes on. The fact that he already went for it today is a very good sign im certain.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Carols said:

That's funny. Lack of stamina in combination with 8 [!] attacks.

Nothing wrong with Contador's stamina, he is well prepared for this Vuelta.

Where does Valverde's sudden leap in form come from? He was really strong today.

I liked the peloton not letting Sky making the pace I must say, even Rabo in person of Ten Dam was leading out pushing Uran to the back. La Vuelta ain't that boring Tour boys.

By the way, i dont think he went all out on a lot of the attacks today, looked more like he was testing Froome, constantly looking back over his shoulders is not what we are used to seeing contador do.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
life doesn't stand still. opponents can improve too.

Fearless Greg Lemond said:

Nothing wrong with Contador's stamina, he is well prepared for this Vuelta.

Where does Valverde's sudden leap in form come from? He was really strong today.

I liked the peloton not letting Sky making the pace I must say, even Rabo in person of Ten Dam was leading out pushing Uran to the back. La Vuelta ain't that boring Tour boys.

Sky didn't make any serious effort to set the pace - had their 3 flat lads on the front for positioning leading in, but didn't bother to gather their climbers in to position other than Froome.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Interesting to see Sky didn't really try the TDF Mountain Train tactic. Have to see if Froome asks for them to go back to that after today or not.

They actually did try. A few times. It didn't work. Saxo swamped them a couple of times and even Quick Step. Porte and Uran came back a couple of times to set pace, but then Alberto would just go again and that would be that.

It's just qualitatively different than the Tour.

Alpehue said:
Only time will tell who is right or wrong. But im feeling optimistic on his behalf, he will only get stronger as the race goes on. The fact that he already went for it today is a very good sign im certain.

I am sure he will get stronger, I just don't know if the vuelta is long enough for him to reach top form.

Miburo said:
Watched giro '08?

Yes I did.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
I suspect he will peak near the end of the 1st week. Really don't see someone coming in to a Tour with no racing base peaking in week 3.

He will most definitely peak in the last week if he peaks in this race at all.

Fearless Greg Lemond said:

Of course Carol did not mean that sorta stamina, she meant that Alberto wasn't able to keep up the attack. He stopped fairly quick after he attacked, that's not something he usually does.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Anyway in the beginning of giro '11 we all had our doubt about Contador's shape but look what happened then.

Valverde surprised me but it's only been 3 days, how will he do at the end of week 2?

Btw purito and valverde could have tried and set up a gap against froome, he'll put them on 2 min in the TT. Don't get why they didn't help Contador...prob couldn't do any better.

Gesink was ok, not his fav climb. Anton was ok aswell.

Belgium riders did pretty bad.

Now we need a stage 4 thread :D

LaFlorecita said:
I just don't think he has it (yet!) Should I always be optimistic and shout that he is going to win?

For starters, you could always believe. But you have already settled into the he-will-lose mode and that is what i find disturbing. Let us be realistic when the fat lady sings and not now when he is well within shot for the overall. It is not like the competitors were that sparkling either.

LaFlorecita said:
Of course not, that's BS. Optimism only leads to disappointment. It's what I've been saying ever since he got banned and people started saying he would win la Vuelta by 10 minutes. Of course I'd hoped that would happen but it was just not realistic, just as it is not realistic to think he can win this Vuelta. That doesn't mean I like him less now.

I dont say he will win by 10 minutes but what makes you think he cant win? Is it because of those 6-7 furious (although short) attacks that went the other guys reeling, flummoxed Froome and made this stage to what it was? Yes, he clearly looks out of contention to me :rolleyes:

Alpehue said:
By the way, i dont think he went all out on a lot of the attacks today, looked more like he was testing Froome, constantly looking back over his shoulders is not what we are used to seeing contador do.

Good point.

Airstream said:
life doesn't stand still. opponents can improve too.

Of course. But in regards to those involved i dont think they are there yet.