• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Vuelta. The Return of the King.

(also known as the cheer up Fleur and El Pistolero thread:p)

In Science news, a giant step towards intergalactic travel was taken today as the Hubble telescope witnessed La Vuelta a Espana move at many times the speed of light into a whole new galaxy of importance.

The Great One will return, and he's not happy.

He wants revenge.

This thread is for speculation. Speculation regarding the Vuelta now that the scene has changed.

How many stages will Contador win? (more or less than 8?).

How many minutes will he win by?

How many tdf contenders will back out of the 2013 edition after seeing this display?

How many riders will finish outside the time limit on Bola del Mundo after Bertie flies up it like Apollo 15 on take off?

(Those who want to say - how many dope tests will he fail, thats taken ;))

As to the other aspects of the race (if there are any), Igor Anton, sorry mate not this year either.

Joaquim Rodriguez - unlucky man. How do you choose, Tour with 90km tt or a Vuelta with Contador.

Ivan Basso - errr you still want to do the Vuelta?

I like this thread a lot! :)

How many stages will Contador win? (more or less than 8?).

I don't know how many stages there are he can win, but I'm gonna say 6

How many minutes will he win by?

How many tdf contenders will back out of the 2013 edition after seeing this display?

How many riders will finish outside the time limit on Bola del Mundo after Bertie flies up it like Apollo 15 on take off?

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Didnt think id be saying i look forward the the Vuelta more than any other GT
Its gona be good, im unsure what form Contador will come with, can he ride any warm up events? Burgos?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
La Florecita and Hitch, if you're both single, you should meet each other. Also beacuse Alberto is married. At least one passion you have in common, so who knows?

gilbertador said:
Its gona be good, im unsure what form Contador will come with, can he ride any warm up events? Burgos?

Burgos should be fine, otherwise maybe Portugal? And I'm sure the Spanish are happy to throw around a race in case its needed.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I'm not sure how old Hitch is... And what has Alberto being married to do with this?

Judging by his later posts, he can't be more than 12.

(my posts should be treated like a pamphlet)

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
Contador will annihilate everybody in a manner not seen since Coppi in '52!

This sound like something heared before........yeah, yeah...I heard it before 2011 Tour regarding Contador and before every Tour Toni Martin starts :) It's a tradition, like Easter and Groundhog Day.

Arnout said:
Burgos should be fine, otherwise maybe Portugal? And I'm sure the Spanish are happy to throw around a race in case its needed.

Burgos is August 1-5 this year, so no dice.

The Volta is too close for the Vuelta, and overlaps - August 15 to 26. They moved it later (a move I approve of) because it means they can pick up the Spanish Continental teams that don't do the Vuelta, who normally are in Burgos instead. But it means no Alberto, much as though it would be AMAZING to have Contador rock up and smash everybody on the Alto da Torre.

The calendar date change means he could probably do San Sebastián (it's on the 14th), but that's just a one-day race.

Probably the best race he can do is the Tour de l'Ain (August 7 to 11) - it finishes with a climb of the Col du Grand-Colombier so will at least give him the chance to stretch his mountain legs.

I'd suggest that Ain - Donostia - Vuelta is the way to go, giving him 6 days of racing to find his feet.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Burgos is August 1-5 this year, so no dice.

The Volta is too close for the Vuelta, and overlaps - August 15 to 26. They moved it later (a move I approve of) because it means they can pick up the Spanish Continental teams that don't do the Vuelta, who normally are in Burgos instead. But it means no Alberto, much as though it would be AMAZING to have Contador rock up and smash everybody on the Alto da Torre.

The calendar date change means he could probably do San Sebastián (it's on the 14th), but that's just a one-day race.

Probably the best race he can do is the Tour de l'Ain (August 7 to 11) - it finishes with a climb of the Col du Grand-Colombier so will at least give him the chance to stretch his mountain legs.

I'd suggest that Ain - Donostia - Vuelta is the way to go, giving him 6 days of racing to find his feet.

http://www.velowire.com/UCIwielerkalender/wedstrijd/496/eneco-tour.html

He'd have 2 extra racing days then.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Yeah, but that's nothing for Alberto. He needs climbs to prepare well.

He barely touched a bike after the Tour last year and still won the 2 mountain stages in San Luis. Now he'll train like crazy, get those racing days in his legs(especially the more important time trial testing) and blow everyone away.

LaFlorecita said:
I'm not sure how old Hitch is... And what has Alberto being married to do with this?

Im 21.

McLovin said:
La Florecita and Hitch, if you're both single, you should meet each other. Also beacuse Alberto is married. At least one passion you have in common, so who knows?

McLovin said:
Judging by his later posts, he can't be more than 12.

(my posts should be treated like a pamphlet)

You got to love those people who hate Contador so much, that for them this is a defeat.:D

They hate the guy so much that they despair over the fact that he is even allowed to race, more than any fan could over his suspension.

Grumpy for ever hey :)

But thanks for making me feel better.

By the way what would "later posts" mean. The last 5000?

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
gilbertador said:

It wont be good seeing Alberto spank what is normally a below par peloton. Vuelta sucks as a race and there wont be one if Contador cleans up.

Conti vs Cobo, wiggo and froome boring

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts