• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2013 Giro?

• Other/Garzelli

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
wwabbit said:
Just because you say 2:30 - 3:00 doesn't mean it will happen. I say min 4'00 for Wiggins.

It's my opinion bro:eek:
Wanna avatar bet?If Wiggins put 4+ to Henao I'll lose and the other way around.I'm picking Henao picture for your avatar.Make your offer if u want...

ILovecycling said:
Wanna avatar bet?If Wiggins put 4+ to Henao I'll lose and the other way around.I'm picking Henao picture for your avatar.Make your offer if u want...

If I was childish enough to put a picture next to my name, I'd take that bet all day long.

Losing 4 mins to Wiggins on this course is like 3 mins on the TDF course, so you're saying Henao to be in touching distance of top 10.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
If I was childish enough to put a picture next to my name, I'd take that bet all day long.

Losing 4 mins to Wiggins on this course is like 3 mins on the TDF course, so you're saying Henao to be in touching distance of top 10.

I'm saying that these stages has nothing in common...different race,different season,differnt form,different course, only the word TT is the same.

Those are some very nice words which sadly don't seem to bear much relation to the reality that how well one performs in a given TT tends to corrolate strongly with how well one will perform in another.

Unless the profile is grossly hiding the true nature of the roads, Wiggins will be taking an awful lot of time in the first 54km, comparable to the TDF, and the comfort he feels in those will mean I don't like Sergio's chance of taking any time on the final wall, unless he soft pedals the rest.

theyoungest said:
At least he's shown he gets better over three weeks. Gesink doesn't have that quality.

But Kruijswijk himself is a big Gesink fan, so I'm afraid he'll bury himself for his leader.

Yeah didnt he once say he thinks hes far less talented than Gesink and will never be as good as him? Anyway it would suck if he'd fade away into domestique obscurity.

classicomano said:
Yeah didnt he once say he thinks hes far less talented than Gesink and will never be as good as him? Anyway it would suck if he'd fade away into domestique obscurity.
Yeah, he said (2 years ago) that in training with Gesink he saw that he's still a level below. Gesink is known as a real training animal. But in racing I don't think they're too far apart, Gesink has never been able to follow a Contador attack.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't quite get this discussion about Wiggins and Henao.
Henao will be Sky's leader only if Wiggins experiences huge misfortune.
Even more, regarding his career at the team, he can hope for a leadership only if there's no a British rider (the Commonwealth, to be more clear) eager to fight for the GC of the given race.
Sky project evolves around British cycling, that's how it's conceived and it's obvious since the very beginning.
Henao should search for his chance at some other team. But I'm not sure he'll be this good anywhere else.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
At least he's shown he gets better over three weeks. Gesink doesn't have that quality.

But Kruijswijk himself is a big Gesink fan, so I'm afraid he'll bury himself for his leader.

kruiswijk is probablpy the only dutchman with even les spersonality than gesink. both are useless

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Wait, why would henao even bother with that tt. He's not allowed to go for gc himslef.there is absolutely no reason in hell why he would go all out in that tt.

yes he will only go full if wiggins has crashed or if he wants to f*** wiggins and sky

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
serfla said:
I can't quite get this discussion about Wiggins and Henao.
Henao will be Sky's leader only if Wiggins experiences huge misfortune.
Even more, regarding his career at the team, he can hope for a leadership only if there's no a British rider (the Commonwealth, to be more clear) eager to fight for the GC of the given race.
Sky project evolves around British cycling, that's how it's conceived and it's obvious since the very beginning.
Henao should search for his chance at some other team. But I'm not sure he'll be this good anywhere else.

he was already that good before going to sky

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Wait, why would henao even bother with that tt. He's not allowed to go for gc himslef.there is absolutely no reason in hell why he would go all out in that tt.

Just speculating....ifs and etc...if Henao screw up with Wiggins then ...blabla:D

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
serfla said:
Possibly.
I don't follow South American scene that much.
But I have to notice that his results are better since he rides for Sky team.

how are they better? he already won the vuelta colombia at age 22(hasn't happened in almost 40 years) and it wasn't in a sky shirt

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
how are they better? he already won the vuelta colombia at age 22(hasn't happened in almost 40 years) and it wasn't in a sky shirt
With all due respect, I doubt Vuelta Columbia can be compared to WT races or any European HC race.
It probably gathers the best and the most promising riders of the region, but real racing happens in Europe, and that's the place where talent should be confirmed.
Henao has done it in Sky colors.
Maybe he could have done the same regardless of the jersey he's wearing, if he had a chance, but he's opted for Sky and I think Sky team deserves a piece of credit for his development too.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
serfla said:
With all due respect, I doubt Vuelta Columbia can be compared to WT races or any European HC race.
It probably gathers the best and the most promising riders of the region, but real racing happens in Europe, and that's the place where talent should be confirmed.
Henao has done it in Sky colors.
Maybe he could have done the same regardless of the jersey he's wearing, if he had a chance, but he's opted for Sky and I think Sky team deserves a piece of credit for his development too.

henao was fully rounded and developped before he ever went to sky. thney don't deserve any praise. antioquia and colombia es passion have developped him. he didn't need any adaption time at all when going to sky. in fact bakc in 2011 he was already kicking everyones *** in utah against top wt riders and he was also the best u23 rider worldwide in 2009, also in europe he won almost every race he took part in.

and the vuelta colombia is way harder than any wt race save the 3 gt's perhaps. winning that is something you don't just achieve. it';s more than 2 weeks and looking on the winners list says more than enough. all top class riders

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
henao was fully rounded and developped before he ever went to sky. thney don't deserve any praise. antioquia and colombia es passion have developped him. he didn't need any adaption time at all when going to sky. in fact bakc in 2011 he was already kicking everyones *** in utah against top wt riders and he was also the best u23 rider worldwide in 2009, also in europe he won almost every race he took part in.

and the vuelta colombia is way harder than any wt race save the 3 gt's perhaps. winning that is something you don't just achieve. it';s more than 2 weeks and looking on the winners list says more than enough. all top class riders
I can agree about adaptation, but can't about development. Every young rider, like he is, has space for improvement.
Vuelta Colombia certainly is a hard race. Probably harder than majority of European races physically wise, but the competition there and everything what racing with the best and already established professionals brings must be below European level. That's why so much South American talents couldn't live up to expectations, I think.

classicomano said:
But he could bite and walk trough pain. Something that neither Gesink nor Mollema are able to. Also Kruiswijk has no fear to attack and take some risk to win or lose time due to it.

It's not just about talent. You're a winner or you are not. Gesink is no winner (I still hope that would chance anytime), Kruiswijk could be one with a bit more confidence.

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
classicomano said:
Ah yes the mighty Kruijswijk whos last decent race was in 2011.

Mighty? Nah, but I do see him as much more of a race animator than Gesink. I expect either one would place in the top-5 at best, but Kruijswijk is a lot more interesting to watch race.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Time for a new poll with the Giro just over 1 week away?

Expect some peoples opinions may have changed after watching the contenders so far this season.

ILovecycling said:

You said < 3 mins, I said > 4 mins, and you want to set the cut-off at 4 mins? I'm not stupid. 3:30 and we may have a deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS