• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro D'Italia Field Discussion

Page 53 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the 2013 Giro?

• Other/Garzelli

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
serfla said:
No.
A single result proves the potential we've already known he has.
Entire career is what we should take in account when comparing general level.

There are some classy South American riders around at the moment. Rujano is not one of them. He will never realise his potential. Every time he appears in a grand tour the hype starts. Team directors seem to question his attitude and some seem to want to strangle him for not giving it 100 %. The younger South American riders are at least two levels above Rujano. I doubt he will threaten the best riders in the Vuelta that's if he finishes.

TANK91 said:
He cant win TDF so maybe he do Giro Vuelta and win Vuelta imo?

In a recent interview Samu was quoted saying that he was very impressed with the Giro the one time he had done it in the past (I believe 2007?). He loved the organization, the passion/support of the fans, and the beauty of the stages. It's my guess he wanted to experience it again before his career was over and as you said it leaves Vuelta participation open making him potentially competitive in both. That and he may have something left to go for it at the WC's.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
in terms of level and talent, no other rider in the world comes close to rujano. however he has just as many shortcomings physically. he's incredibly vulnerable but he's better than henao, betancurt or even quintana. however he had pfeiffer which is a big if, especially at later age like rujano. if he's fully recovered and gets to his old level no one can follow him in the climbs. you will see in the vuelta where it's always heat and sun and he shouldn't suffer.

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
In a recent interview Samu was quoted saying that he was very impressed with the Giro the one time he had done it in the past (I believe 2007?). He loved the organization, the passion/support of the fans, and the beauty of the stages. It's my guess he wanted to experience it again before his career was over and as you said it leaves Vuelta participation open making him potentially competitive in both. That and he may have something left to go for it at the WC's.

This seems like the most likely scenario

Ryo Hazuki said:
in terms of level and talent, no other rider in the world comes close to rujano. however he has just as many shortcomings physically. he's incredibly vulnerable but he's better than henao, betancurt or even quintana. however he had pfeiffer which is a big if, especially at later age like rujano. if he's fully recovered and gets to his old level no one can follow him in the climbs. you will see in the vuelta where it's always heat and sun and he shouldn't suffer.

What's all that "talent" for if he has many shortcomings and flop at races?

movingtarget said:
There are some classy South American riders around at the moment. Rujano is not one of them. He will never realise his potential. Every time he appears in a grand tour the hype starts. Team directors seem to question his attitude and some seem to want to strangle him for not giving it 100 %. The younger South American riders are at least two levels above Rujano. I doubt he will threaten the best riders in the Vuelta that's if he finishes.
100% agree. For whatever reason he boycotted his own riding career long time ago.

Ryo Hazuki said:
Who's going to believe this? Rujano may be the biggest talent, buy he's mentally challenged, and the discussion ends there.

Ryo Hazuki said:

If he was born with Pfeiffer he will always have it. It's a neurological disorder but he might have the mild type. There are two other types that are much worse. But I did not know about that. Probably effects his hands and feet so not the easiest sport for someone with that condition.

Lupetto said:
Danilo di Luca. It's on. :D
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!

_O_

tumblr_lzt71ejB7M1qd1tqd.gif

Source:
http://www.gazzetta.it/Ciclismo/Speciali/Giro_Italia/Italiano/26-04-2013/ciclismo-farnese-ingaggia-danilo-luca-sara-giro-garzelli-20294038042.shtml

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Good to see Di Luca will get the chance to race, however I won't be expecting too much from him. Hopefully he can liven up a couple stages, maybe take a win from the break somewhere or a win in one of the hillier stages.
I wonder if he's addition could be a benefit to Nibali in the hillier stages. That would be good, but will depend on if he even has the form, which is completely unknown.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
movingtarget said:
That's my point.
But Ryo & co. are pushing biased interpretation.

taiwan said:
What sort of form can he have without racing this season?

some people say he trained like a nutter all this time and that in fact was a plan to don't ride anything until giro:D
fanboy talking, i really hope he comes and humiliates wiggo everywhere
seriously talking after one week he will fade away because he will have no race rhythm at all. he will chase a win at pescara in the abruzzo stage
danilo di luca's base level is very high so in the first week he won't be affected i guess because he didn't race.

also i'd rather wait and see an official statement...

Ryo Hazuki said:

Rujano is apparently good outside races but always has one problem or another so ends up sucking.

Gesink is apparently good outside races but always has one problem or another so ends up sucking.

Why is it that for you one of them is the talent of the century and the other is someone who is lucky to have made it to pro? Their career paths seem very similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.