• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro d'Italia, Stage 21: Riese Pio X - Brescia (197 km)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pulpstar said:
Nibali won the pink yesterday, Uran a deserved 2nd and Betancur got the deserved white jersey.

Today Cav gets back the red, so all the jerseys will have their rightful place in the race. King of Mountains is always a bit of an odd one since its never really won by the best climber ;)

emanuele_sella_ciclismo_548.jpg

Rujano-464x440.jpg

s070530_giro.jpg

wirral said:
Minimum distances for stages are stipulated under UCI rules.

This is still way more than the minimum, no? Vuelta and Tour have had sub-100k stages as closers of late, Giro even had the 83km stage to Blockhaus in 2009. Also, the Giro has managed to obtain the special dispensation from the UCI for an extended stage of over 240km (UCI must give dispensation for a road stage over 240km or a time trial over 60km), so you'd have to think that the UCI would happily counteract that with a shorter stage.

Libertine Seguros said:
This is still way more than the minimum, no? Vuelta and Tour have had sub-100k stages as closers of late, Giro even had the 83km stage to Blockhaus in 2009. Also, the Giro has managed to obtain the special dispensation from the UCI for an extended stage of over 240km (UCI must give dispensation for a road stage over 240km or a time trial over 60km), so you'd have to think that the UCI would happily counteract that with a shorter stage.
I think it is an average. I could look it up but I am sort of busy. Maybe the Giro needs to keep up their average stage length or get paid for how many tv advertising breaks they can get into one stage or how many town councils they can tap up for cash by putting the race through their town.

Libertine Seguros said:

I think it's stupid to have a such a long final stage. It achieves nothing.

I don't really mind whatever they decide to put at the end of a GT.

On one hand, it's good to give the sprinters an incentive to finish the race, as it keeps the sprint field fairly decent throughout the flat stages (which should be spread around, good job by the Giro this year). On the other hand, it's obviously a boring stage.

Don't particularly like the time trial either, as it could lead to some preservation of energy in the last mountain stage. A monstrous mountain stage could also have the big guns saving themselves for that particular stage.

I think the best solution would be a medium mountain stage. Not too tough, but with opportunities for anyone with courage to try something.

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to see Cav beaten in the intermediates, get blown down by a blizzard, puncture on sabotage tacks, knocked off by Ferrari, knocked over by crazy tifosi, knocked over by a loose dog, and then win.

May 11, 2012
Visit site
FellOff said:
I'd like to see Cav beaten in the intermediates, get blown down by a blizzard, puncture on sabotage tacks, knocked off by Ferrari, knocked over by crazy tifosi, knocked over by a loose dog, and then win.

Where would that be ranked amongst his wins
He just won the first sprint and picked up 8 points

wirral said:
I think it is an average. I could look it up but I am sort of busy. Maybe the Giro needs to keep up their average stage length or get paid for how many tv advertising breaks they can get into one stage or how many town councils they can tap up for cash by putting the race through their town.

The average is 180km and it's bogus. It's a maximum and not a minimum.

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getObject.asp?MenuId=MTY2NjU&ObjTypeCode=FILE&type=FILE&id=34028&LangId=1

Page 43 rule 2.6.008

EDIT: It's bogus because of rule 2.6.011 (Which is very often ignored)

LQSIVtz.png

EDIT2: Actually a lot of the rules are ignored, so I see them more as a guideline than actual rules...

Because of the delay of 45mins on Eurosport due to French Open Tennis had to watch Internet coverage and hear that plank, thankfully now I can go to Eurosport, Very impressed with Dan Lloyd, wasted alongside that joke