• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Giro d'Italia Stage 7: San Salvo - Pescara 177km

Page 44 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Richeypen said:
If it wasnt for the rain he would have lost very little if anything.

I don't agree actually. If it wasn't for the rain then I think the ''action'' would have kicked off much earlier because the big GC contenders wouldn't have been so worried about crashing. Wiggins couldn't follow on the steep climbs. Did you watch the race?

Amazing that Kerrison and Wiggins came out with all that crap about ''special training'' and ''best numbers ever''. This is 2010 all over again. I'm guessing the absence of Shane Sutton and also Sean Yates has had a massive impact on Wiggins but he was never likely to reach last year's heights even if those two hadn't been forced out.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Flamin said:
btw, you know attacking uphill on wet roads isn't dangerous right, since you're 'glad' they didn't do much?

Had the favourites gone full gas today, the final downhill would've been massacre. That's why I'm not minding the favourites riding passively today. Sunday, however, I expect fireworks.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
JRanton said:
Are you suggesting it was their decision to drop back?

I'm just trying to find out if you disagree with the decision of having them stay with Wiggins in the first place or the decision of dropping back to Wiggins after Wiggins crashed.

In the end they ended up roughly where they were before Wiggins crashed (in the Paolini group). If they had been in the front it would have been stupid to bring them both back (imo). But they were already in the second group when Wiggins crashed.
Having, for instance Henao in the Paolini group trying to catch the front group, and Uran and Wiggins trying to catch the Paolini group, THAT would have been stupid (imo).

JRanton said:
Amazing that Kerrison and Wiggins came out with all that crap about ''special training'' and ''best numbers ever''. This is 2010 all over again. I'm guessing the absence of Shane Sutton and also Sean Yates has had a massive impact on Wiggins but he was never likely to reach last year's heights even if those two hadn't been forced out.

Yet he didn't have any problems following Nibali in Trentino. If you would have asked anyone before the start how to put time into Wiggins, then a wet, hilly, punchy, technical stage would be top of everyones list. We havent seen anything to suggest that he was lying about his numbers, his problems today seemed psychological not physiological.

Vino attacks everyone said:
Been away the whole day.
Then I come home and what do I find?
Wiggo loosing 1:30
Nibali falling
Di Luca and Vini Fantini riding epicly.
Gesink NOT falling (I think)

This was an awesome stage!!!! :eek::eek:

yep, apart from the mayhem and falls, and gaps, and HUGE win by Hansen, the very nice thing is Gesink in the front group, no trouble, no fall.
let's hope he continues this way.

pastronef said:
yep, apart from the mayhem and falls, and gaps, and HUGE win by Hansen, the very nice thing is Gesink in the front group, no trouble, no fall.
let's hope he continues this way.

Hansen was immense today. When their team was announce I was possitive that either him or Bak would take a stage, didnt expect such a dominating performance though

XlandaluzeX said:
hoho Wiggins what a frikin diva

and making Henao stop when the good sir wasnt even trying, what a joke

That's the worst thing. He'd clearly completely given up before Uran and Henao dropped back to him. He owes it to both of them to at the very least give everything he's got tomorrow. That was absolutely pathetic behaviour today.

JRanton said:
That's the worst thing. He'd clearly completely given up before Uran and Henao dropped back to him. He owes it to both of them to at the very least give everything he's got tomorrow. That was absolutely pathetic behaviour today.

agree with the last part. Champions needs to show more fighting spirit than what was on display today. Everybody can crash etc, but leadership is needed.

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to say thanks for the race updates in this thread great way of following it when unable to watch. Although it means a lot of F5 spamming to try find out what has happened next!

Though seems to be a shocking amount of people that take more pleasure in a riders failure rather than the success of a rider they like which is strange.

Magnus said:
I'm just trying to find out if you disagree with the decision of having them stay with Wiggins in the first place or the decision of dropping back to Wiggins after Wiggins crashed.

In the end they ended up roughly where they were before Wiggins crashed (in the Paolini group). If they had been in the front it would have been stupid to bring them both back (imo). But they were already in the second group when Wiggins crashed.
Having, for instance Henao in the Paolini group trying to catch the front group, and Uran and Wiggins trying to catch the Paolini group, THAT would have been stupid (imo).
If they were in the second group it was because of Wiggins anyway. he was riding at the back a lot. I saw Uran riding at the front and all of the sudden he is riding at the back also. Let's not try to minimize that Wiggins performance and riding has been poorly. Don't try to put it on the team please.

Polza_ said:
Just wanted to say thanks for the race updates in this thread great way of following it when unable to watch. Although it means a lot of F5 spamming to try find out what has happened next!

Though seems to be a shocking amount of people that take more pleasure in a riders failure rather than the success of a rider they like which is strange.

Totally agree. It's a godsend when you are stuck at work;) The live tickers are OK but don't compare to the guys on here updating as it happens and with some insight too. Highlights have just started here in the UK on Sky Sports 3. Really looking forward to this:)

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
This stage is ciclismo, just like that one in the the Tirreno. Grinta. Not for the crashes but for the guts riders put out on the road.

And for that great stage win for Hanson.

Not yet Gavia 1988 level but we're getting there.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
If they were in the second group it was because of Wiggins anyway.
Agreed.
Escarabajo said:
he was riding at the back a lot. I saw Uran riding at the front and all of the sudden he is riding at the back also.
It's all "what if", but yes, most likely Uran could have stayed with the front group.
Escarabajo said:
Let's not try to minimize that Wiggins performance and riding has been poorly. Don't try to put it on the team please.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that Wiggins put on a stellar performance today. Nor that the team is to blame for his failure.

All I'm saying is:
Given that Uran and Henao was in the same group as Wiggins just before he crashed and that they (almost) finished in that group, it would have been stupid to not have them get Wiggins back to that group.

TRENDING THREADS