• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Liège-Bastogne-Liège, 21/04/13 257km

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Afrank said:
What's Froome done in any hilly race that make you think LBL suits him? He'll probably be working for Henao in LBL, that would be the smart thing to do.

Apparently they have 5 "options" for this race :confused:

I'm with you, I'd be looking mainly at one basket to throw all the eggs in and that basket would have Henao written all over it.

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Orbit501 said:

I'm with you, I'd be looking mainly at one basket to throw all the eggs in and that basket would have Henao written all over it.

In the GTs its always been everything behind one rider. The classics the spread their bets. Their results would certainly seem to suggest that the former is more effective.

Henao should be the designated leader here with perhaps one rider given a free role as a back up. The other 6 should be domestiques

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Orbit501 said:

Yep, they have Froome, Henao, Uran, Porte, maybe Locke as a far outside bet.
Can't see Froome or Porte doing much though IMO, Locke won't even finish near the front group, that leaves Uran and Henao, and Henao has the form, so he should be leader.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
iZnoGouD said:
I really can't see why u rate henao higher than Froome

Because he is in great form right now, was 6th in AGR and 2nd in FW, and because the Ardennes are a target of his this season. And there isn't really a clear cut favorite for the race that is at a much higher level than everyone else (like Gilbert 2011), that benefits him.

I don't see why you rate Froome higher than him. I ask again, what's Froome done in any hilly race that says he is more of a potential winner than Henao?

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
iZnoGouD said:
I really can't see why u rate henao higher than Froome
Although not appointed to me, I hope you and AFrank won't mind.
Froome is tactically very weak rider, and LBL's composition isn't exactly his cup of tea. He doesn't have the experience, too.
Strategy and experience make 50% of every successful Classic attempt. The other half is form and compatibility.
In Froome's case we can only agree about the form, and even that is only a presumption.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
iZnoGouD said:
He can get to Sain-Nicolas fresher than anybody else and he fares well on climb like that too

Why would he be fresher than everybody else? :confused: Marginal Gains? Have Sky figured out a new way of riding so there riders only do half the amount of work as everyone else?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Will take more than a big engine to survive the climbs of Liege (climbs he has never shown much skill on) to win the race.

The only way I see Froome winning is if he breaks away early in order to force the other teams to work; and those teams either screw up by not getting organized or refuse to work. Don't think they would take that risk though.

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello . First post. Will be interesting to see how Froome does.
But I would be surprised in his first attempt at a podium place.
Sky didn't perform in these courses at all yet so why should they start now?
Are they still not waiting a first win in the 'Monuments'?

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Orbit501 said:

Too many chiefs and not enough Indians ...

TRENDING THREADS