2013 Liège-Bastogne-Liège, 21/04/13 257km

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
Netserk said:
Again. Steals wins????

He is a true gentleman on the bike. Didn't you see how he waited for Szmyd on Ventoux?
Gentleman on the bike?

The only reason he waited for Szmyd was because he had the overall in the bag and they had an agreement.
 
Sep 8, 2009
15,305
0
0
pisti trolling big time. 1918...1918...1918...1918

how did he manage to bring manzano on this thread?clinic please
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
Netserk said:
I agree with jens. Please post your clinic stuff in the clinic.
Why?

You're saying Phil was lucky that Valverde wasn't there in '11. I'm merely asking you a question why Phil is lucky that Valverde is a doper? ;)

Don't play the troll and then start playing mod please.
 
Argh, I was really cheering for Purito. Not many chances left for him to win his dream race, although Martin deserves every bit of it.

also, the hatred for Valverde on here is quite hilarious :eek: It seemed like he was more or less caught out of position when the split occurred, then did what he had to do which was bridging across the leaders. Not strong enough to match Martin and Purito, he won the sprint for 3rd. What's the problem?
 
Phil was lucky that Valverde wasn't racing in 2011. Since he came back, Phil has only had one good result, which was down to bad position for Valverde. Without luck Phil cannot win big.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
Netserk said:
Phil was lucky that Valverde wasn't racing in 2011. Since he came back, Phil has only had one good result, which was down to bad position for Valverde. Without luck Phil cannot win big.
Why is Phil lucky Valverde is a doper?

And sure, position is what made him lose the WC. Lol. That's why the gap extended on the 2km flat part after the Cauberg. That's why EBH gapped Valverde as well. Probably another one of those strange gearing problems I suppose. ;)

When Phil won any of his big races, luck had nothing to do with it.
 
Flamin said:
Argh, I was really cheering for Purito. Not many chances left for him to win his dream race, although Martin deserves every bit of it.

also, the hatred for Valverde on here is quite hilarious :eek: It seemed like he was more or less caught out of position when the split occurred, then did what he had to do which was bridging across the leaders. Not strong enough to match Martin and Purito, he won the sprint for 3rd. What's the problem?
And remember that he had a gearing problem. He was most likely the strongest today and would have won his 3rd(!!!) if it wasn't for said gearing problem. _O_
 
El Pistolero said:
Gentleman on the bike?

The only reason he waited for Szmyd was because he had the overall in the bag and they had an agreement.
No he didn't. He had a handful of seconds with two mountain stages to go. Evans only had to get a few seconds on him, with bonuses, to Madeleine, but Valverde responded to every attack (and got a bit of help from Contador). He waited for Szmyd because they had an agreement, but he could easily have reneged on it and told Sylwek "sorry, man, didn't mean to drop you at the end there but you know, we were trying to go to the end together, sorry you couldn't make it, but I've got the GC to think about". But he didn't.

I was a bit surprised Valverde had nothing in Ans, given how strong he seemed just before that, but nevertheless he did go up and over Gilbert. I wish he did more than the sprint from a small group thing these days though. Been a while since we saw anything like Zierbena.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
Libertine Seguros said:
No he didn't. He had a handful of seconds with two mountain stages to go. Evans only had to get a few seconds on him, with bonuses, to Madeleine, but Valverde responded to every attack (and got a bit of help from Contador).

I was a bit surprised Valverde had nothing in Ans, given how strong he seemed just before that, but nevertheless he did go up and over Gilbert. I wish he did more than the sprint from a small group thing these days though. Been a while since we saw anything like Zierbena.
He was the only guy peaking for a race like the Dauphiné, of course he had the win in the bag.

Everyone else was peaking for the Tour.

Going over Gilbert in his current form doesn't mean all that much. It's not like he was in his 2011 shape like someone seems to think lol.
 
Sep 8, 2009
15,305
0
0
Flamin said:
gearing problem?
most likely,it's something movistar made up. i don't believe it. he seemed fine with the big gear when he sprinted for 3rd:D
both dan martin and purito were a class today above valverde
 
Netserk said:
Why the ***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************** would they do that?
Ask your colleague, who gave me an infraction for a post of mine that read "**** you Eurosport".
 
El Pistolero said:
He was the only guy peaking for a race like the Dauphiné, of course he had the win in the bag.

Everyone else was peaking for the Tour.

Going over Gilbert in his current form doesn't mean all that much. It's not like he was in his 2011 shape like someone seems to think lol.
No, that much is true, Gilbert's shape is clearly far from optimal. I was just jumping in on your Dauphiné point, where your hatred for Valverde has allowed you to be a bit economical with the truth again.

There's a difference between metaphorically having a race in the bag because you're in the top form, and having a race in the bag because you're several minutes to the good. Remember back then Evans had won sweet FA, and was desperately pushing for wins. He really did try to take that Dauphiné back on the Col de la Madeleine, Valverde in no way had enough that he can have feasibly thought "I'll wait for Szmyd because twelve seconds is easily enough to take the GC from here". Valverde waited for Szmyd because he didn't want to renege on their prior agreement, which I think is a good thing. It may not be the mark that he never steals wins, but please point to which of his wins you believe to be stolen. Courchevel?
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
Libertine Seguros said:
No, that much is true, Gilbert's shape is clearly far from optimal. I was just jumping in on your Dauphiné point, where your hatred for Valverde has allowed you to be a bit economical with the truth again.

There's a difference between metaphorically having a race in the bag because you're in the top form, and having a race in the bag because you're several minutes to the good. Remember back then Evans had won sweet FA, and was desperately pushing for wins. He really did try to take that Dauphiné back on the Col de la Madeleine, Valverde in no way had enough that he can have feasibly thought "I'll wait for Szmyd because twelve seconds is easily enough to take the GC from here". Valverde waited for Szmyd because he didn't want to renege on their prior agreement, which I think is a good thing. It may not be the mark that he never steals wins, but please point to which of his wins you believe to be stolen. Courchevel?
Manzano's statements were very revealing. But that is clinic talk. ;)

The everyone is fighting with equal weapons argument won't work by the way. Cycling isn't communism.
 
jens_attacks said:
most likely,it's something movistar made up. i don't believe it. he seemed fine with the big gear when he sprinted for 3rd:D
both dan martin and purito were a class today above valverde
Well, that's the first thing I hear about it. Nothing is mentioned on the official site either, so where are these reports coming from anyway?

And yes, exactly.
 
El Pistolero said:
Manzano's statements were very revealing. But that is clinic talk. ;)

The everyone is fighting with equal weapons argument won't work by the way. Cycling isn't communism.
Right, ok. I thought we were talking about his conduct on the bike, i.e. his behaviour within races. Fair enough then. I still don't get why he's often vilified so much more than others (save for a select few like Riccò), but that's not for this forum.
 
Mar 15, 2013
494
0
0
Carols said:
Me either! The man plays to his strengths and is a gentleman besides. I like him :)

He rides as a little *****. That doesn't suit a guy nicknamed "el imbatido"
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pantani_lives Professional Road Racing 415

ASK THE COMMUNITY