• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2013 Liège-Bastogne-Liège, 21/04/13 257km

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
jens_attacks said:
most likely,it's something movistar made up. i don't believe it. he seemed fine with the big gear when he sprinted for 3rd:D
both dan martin and purito were a class today above valverde

Is it just me or since his return has Valverde just been lacking that last bit? He can sprint, and he has good staying power, but he can no longer finish the deal with the W. We've seen him hang on and sprint for a podium spot, but not able to drive it a bit more to get back up to the breakaway, etc. And it is not like he is on a weak team.

Don't get me wrong, I think Valverde is a talented rider, and has a fair bit of class on the bike. He obviously makes it to the finale of many a race. But he seems to be on the decline when it comes to the one day races.

Just read the results. Great result for Garmin, nice to see AC back on form but poor result for Sky. Where was Jonathan Tiernan-Locke? Isn't he supposed to win a swag of LBLs one day? I thought with his move to Sky it (doing well at LBL) would be a lay down misere :confused:

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Cookster15 said:
Just read the results. Great result for Garmin, nice to see AC back on form but poor result for Sky. Where was Jonathan Tiernan-Locke? Isn't he supposed to win a swag of LBLs one day? I thought with his move to Sky it (doing well at LBL) would be a lay down misere :confused:

JTL was never going to have a chance of even coming in the top 20 this race. :D It's a big step up to the world tour ranks and he's been out of form all season thus far. Plus this was the first time he's competed at LBL. Don't buy into all the hype about him, got to at least wait a couple years for him to develop a little more.

El Pistolero said:
Going over Gilbert in his current form doesn't mean all that much. It's not like he was in his 2011 shape like someone seems to think lol.

He certainly isn't in his 2011 form but I think he's closer to his true level and where we should expect him to be for these races - top 10 and able to podium or win on the right day. His 2011 was just insane and no one (even Valverde had he been there) was going to beat him. I don't think anyone should expect to see that Gilbert again.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Roderick said:
He rides as a little *****. That doesn't suit a guy nicknamed "el imbatido"

Why do all Belgians seem to hate Valverde? It's based on nothing, and you're acting like waiting for a sprint is a crime, which is utter BS.

All this love for Valverde is making me physically sick. How someone who even pretends to care about cycling support this guy. He is the poster boy for everything wrong in cycling. Pro Omerta, pro Armstrong, about as openly pro doping as a cyclist can be.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Richeypen said:
To be fair its not just Belgians. I cant stand the guy :p

Why? Because he plays to his strengths, or because you think having the best sprint being in a front group doesn't justify him winning? Or just personal reasons?

Pentacycle said:
Why? Because he plays to his strengths, or because you think having the best sprint being in a front group doesn't justify him winning? Or just personal reasons?

Nothing to do with his riding style, in fact he used to be my favourite rider. It wasnt even his clinic ban that put me off him but rather his reaction to it. As the above post says, he epitomises what is wrong with cycling.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Richeypen said:
Nothing to do with his riding style, in fact he used to be my favourite rider. It wasnt even his clinic ban that put me off him but rather his reaction to it. As the above post says, he epitomises what is wrong with cycling.

Then hate on cycling itself, and not on individual riders. At least Valverde's done his time off, unlike the other 90%, or hadn't you realized that? Getting real Clinically here though. :eek:

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
Why do all Belgians seem to hate Valverde? It's based on nothing, and you're acting like waiting for a sprint is a crime, which is utter BS.

I don't hate him at all. Actually I don't even dislike him really. I just think his racing-style is unworthy for a champion like him. Nothing wrong with playing your strenghts but it looks just like he can not adapt his style at all. The only thing he does is just sit in the weels of the strongest guy. Wait,wait wait and hope that he ends up sprinting for first place. It looks like it doesn't even matter to him whether he sprints for first or second or third as long as he wins the little sprint.

happytramp said:
All this love for Valverde is making me physically sick. How someone who even pretends to care about cycling support this guy. He is the poster boy for everything wrong in cycling. Pro Omerta, pro Armstrong, about as openly pro doping as a cyclist can be.

Would you like some cheese to go with that whine?

The guy's a villain, sure. And his reaction to his ban was irritating, but don't tell me that 99% of the caught dopers in the world wouldn't have acted like he did if given the opportunity. Guys like Pellizotti, di Luca et al would have loved to have been able to continue to ride while they fought their cases. We've heard many a pro-Lance testimony from the péloton in recent months, not just from shady characters like Valverde and Horner but also from guys with little reason to, like Geraint Thomas. Valverde's just another cynical doper, nothing less and nothing more.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Roderick said:
I don't hate him at all. Actually I don't even dislike him really. I just think his racing-style is unworthy for a champion like him. Nothing wrong with playing your strenghts but it looks just like he can not adapt his style at all. The only thing he does is just sit in the weels of the strongest guy. Wait,wait wait and hope that he ends up sprinting for first place. It looks like it doesn't even matter to him whether he sprints for first or second or third as long as he wins the little sprint.

He's a one in a kind rider; you can't compare champions altogether. Cavendish is a champion, but has he ever done a succesful attack? Do you dislike his riding style as well?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
See what happens when there are no podium girls:

Looks like Valverde pulled a Sagan on J.Rod

lblpodium20131.jpg

Replay @29:00 http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/ciclismo/ciclismo-lieja-bastogen-lieja/1778467/

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
He's a one in a kind rider; you can't compare champions altogether. Cavendish is a champion, but has he ever done a succesful attack? Do you dislike his riding style as well?

The fact about Cav is that he is a real winner. He will do everything he can to win. Valverde just seems not to care about getting first or second. You can say that it is clever riding but sometimes you just have to risk losing in able to win.

happytramp said:

That's your opinion. I love cycling and I'm a big Valverde fan as are many others here.:eek: Please take your posts to the clinic.

Mods, can we please clean up this thread?

TRENDING THREADS